Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 AM

336 posts, read 1,495,421 times

Advertisements

my family and i are seriously considering a move to SW durham (from morrisville) in the spring. everytime we drive past the fayetteville road exit off of 40, especially on the weekends, the ramp is backed up/full of cars. do you find it difficult to get around because of all of the shopping in the area? and is taking 40 the fastest way to reach the southern end of the RTP? thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,021,563 times
The Fayetteville exit does seem to be one source of congestion - the other one I've noticed of late is 40 west between 147 and 54/55.

I exit at 54/55 so I don't deal with the Fayetteville stuff, and it may be a worthwhile option for those in the area to consider - when we'd looked at Grandale, the plan was to exit 54/55, take 55 south to Sedwick and then cut across. This would work for many of the neighborhoods south of Southpoint.

Likewise, for neighborhoods like Woodcroft and Woodlake, you could exit 54/55 and take Carpenter Fletcher across instead of dealing with Fayetteville.

40 is generally the fastest east-west route - 54 going east in the AMs isn't bad but 40 is a breeze, and in the PM while 40 can get stopped up a little, 54 gets rough as you approach Barbee.

Either way, it's still eons better than 54 between RTP and Cary and 40 around Airport/Aviation/540

Old 07-07-2008, 11:23 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
Going on down to the 751 (Hope Valley Rd) exit would be another option to avoid the Fayetteville exit. The congestion around Southpoint is one of the biggest reasons that we decided to center our search in northern Durham. I live near a congested area in Raleigh now (Falls of Neuse Rd.) and pass through Brier Creek on my way to work each day...the last thing I wanted after moving was to have more of the same. Fortunately for us, our jobs are in northern Durham & northern RTP, so it worked well. Northern Durham to southern RTP is doable, but it does become a bit of a longer commute possibly.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:23 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times
My only issue with the traffic in that part of town is near the intersection for Hwy 54 & Hope Valley Road (751). There's a lot of construction there & some roadwork as well, so I've been avoiding it when I can. I'll be glad when they're finally done!

The interchange at Fayetteville Road & I-40 gets the bulk of the traffic, but it flows along at a good enough rate for me. This is all based on my personal experiences and how I compare it to other places where I've lived before. For me it's easy. But if Fayetteville Road is too much for you, then there are a couple of other options that see much less traffic.

The only time when I have specificially avoided Southpoint was the week before Christmas. The shopping centers there get PACKED and parking spots are few and far between, so the roads are obviously more congested, too. But there are optional routes and backroads to be found. Sneezecake has mentioned just a few.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:28 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
The interchange at Fayetteville Road & I-40 gets the bulk of the traffic, but it flows along at a good enough rate for me.
That's the way I see it. The traffic doesn't backup onto I-40 which is better than other cities I lived in where there was a major development like Southpoint.

From my perspective, the traffic in that area isn't bad, especially for all of the development around there. I like to enter Southpoint from Hope Valley Rd (751) b/c cuts alot of the stoplights and Fayetteville Rd.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:43 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,352 times
Default SW Durham

We live in Grandale and do not experience traffic issues at Fayetteville and I-40, probably because we are able to take alternate routes.

To get to the Streets at Southpoint, we take Herndon to Fayetteville -- we've never had traffic issues doing this (but we also did not shop this area the week before Christmas, just FYI).

To get to RTP, we take Sedwick to Alston and then Triangle Drive to NC 54.

We love our location -- we are away from traffic and traffic noise, yet we are just minutes away from everything.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:43 AM

159 posts, read 608,799 times
My husband commutes to Morrisville every day from Hope Valley Farms in SW Durham. He uses Carpenter Fletcher and a series of back roads instead the Fayetteville Rd./40 interchange and usually doesn't have a problem.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:44 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2 View Post
my family and i are seriously considering a move to SW durham (from morrisville) in the spring. everytime we drive past the fayetteville road exit off of 40, especially on the weekends, the ramp is backed up/full of cars. do you find it difficult to get around because of all of the shopping in the area? and is taking 40 the fastest way to reach the southern end of the RTP? thanks so much!
I live off of exit 276 (the one you are talking about), just South of Southpoint. Honestly, I haven't found the exit ramp wait to be that long even on weekend.... given I'm in the far left lane which turns away from the mall so that may help. If you are in the center lane or right lane that might be an issue, but there are ways to avoid that. If you are looking at communities on 751 then you can always take that exit which is less congested.

There are several "back ways" that I've learned. If you share with us or pm me which subdivision you are looking at I or others might have pointers on how to avoid the mall traffic. We usually stay away from the actual mall on the weekends, but we are at the Target shopping center and REI alot on the weekends and I don't find those to be that bad. (Given traffic is a relative thing.)

Also, I think you might find that generally there is so stuff in this area that you have little reason to get on i-40 on the weekends to shop so you avoid the 276 exit ramp.

Good luck with your decision and I hope soon we will be telling you welcome to Durham.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:15 PM

140 posts, read 440,841 times
Hi!

I also live near Southpoint mall and agree that the traffic rarely is an issue. As most of the other posters have said there are multiple back routes to take to most places. As a matter of fact that is one of the things I really like about living here -- I have multiple ways to get to places. And while I wasn't too thrilled when the mall opened I do find I like having it close by. I'm not generally a big mall shopper but when I do need something I can get there, get what I need and get back in under an hour or less.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:25 PM

426 posts, read 1,455,420 times
For as sucky as exiting Southpoint's parking lot is, I feel as though they did a good job managing traffic around the mall very well. I think it's, in large part, due to the entrance/exit situation around the mall. There are, what, 3 or 4 entrance/exits total? If you're not going to the mall, it's really easy to avoid the traffic around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary