Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2007, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 17,429 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating from Ct. to NC area for a new job. I've been told that Hillsborough is a good place to live in a newer development. I was there last month but did not have alot of time to drive around. I did not notice alot of large stores or activities for children. Are these things a far drive from Hillsborough? Also , I know there are amore then one school district. Is one better then the other?

Any suggestions for a good area to live around the Hillsborough area would be a big help. Chapel hill is a little pricey..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 03:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,222,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbby View Post
My family and I will be relocating from Ct. to NC area for a new job. I've been told that Hillsborough is a good place to live in a newer development. I was there last month but did not have alot of time to drive around. I did not notice alot of large stores or activities for children. Are these things a far drive from Hillsborough? Also , I know there are amore then one school district. Is one better then the other?

Any suggestions for a good area to live around the Hillsborough area would be a big help. Chapel hill is a little pricey..
I answered your other post as well. Take a look at Churton Grove in Hillsborough, very nice neighborhood.

There is only one school district that serves Hillsborough, Orange County. There are a number of elementary schools, 3 middle schools and 2 high schools.

The elementary school that serves Churton Grove is Cameron Park, we LOVE the school. Its an older school, doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some newer schools but the teachers and staff are fantastic.

As for things to do, during the summer months there is the Last Fridays which brings everyone downtown including children for music, crafts and activities. Lots of public events, parades, outdoor music by the river etc...

Close by is the Museum of Life and Science in Durham, 15 mins away, a GREAT place for the kids. Smaller childrens museum in Chapel Hill, Kidzu....

Let me know what else you are looking for

Old 02-04-2007, 05:32 PM
sea

1 posts, read 8,975 times
Smile moving to Hillsborough

Hi! I just registered on this site because I, too, am considering a move to NC from MA. We visited a few weeks ago and I didn't fall in love like I had hoped. It seemed the rural areas that I like are too far away from work options. Living closer to a city doesn't appeal to me because I like land and peace and quiet. One neighborhood we visited was very nice. It was a new development in Hillsborough called Hillsborough Forest (Sinai Circle). It offered 3 bed/2 bath homes with 2 car garage on 1+ to 3+ acre lots. Price range from 200,000-250,000. The neighborhood had a nice feel to it, but the town itself didn't seem to have much to offer. Maybe I'm wrong?? The person who replied to your post gave information on another neighborhood that sounded great, but was too pricey for me. I'm still in the process of researching the schools, as I have two children (8 and 6). I'd love to hear what you've learned so far. Are you still considering Hillsborough? Thanks.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:26 PM

36 posts, read 84,276 times
We too are looking to relocate from ME to NC. We are interested in the Hillsborough area on a recommendation from a friend looking into the same place. We have 2 children, 10 and 14 so we're interested in school information such as ranking nationally, crime in school, etc.. We're interested in good friendly areas to live in. Our price range is $200,000 - $300,000. Also travel distance to Durham or other cities of work options. Currently self-employed and will probably be there as well, but have to access Durham for it's 'base'. If not Hillsborough, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:21 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
Hi! I just registered on this site because I, too, am considering a move to NC from MA. We visited a few weeks ago and I didn't fall in love like I had hoped. It seemed the rural areas that I like are too far away from work options. Living closer to a city doesn't appeal to me because I like land and peace and quiet. One neighborhood we visited was very nice. It was a new development in Hillsborough called Hillsborough Forest (Sinai Circle). It offered 3 bed/2 bath homes with 2 car garage on 1+ to 3+ acre lots. Price range from 200,000-250,000. The neighborhood had a nice feel to it, but the town itself didn't seem to have much to offer. Maybe I'm wrong?? The person who replied to your post gave information on another neighborhood that sounded great, but was too pricey for me. I'm still in the process of researching the schools, as I have two children (8 and 6). I'd love to hear what you've learned so far. Are you still considering Hillsborough? Thanks.
I have been in Hillsborough Forest several times and sat with the builder a few times as well. Sinai is a nice rd. The lots sizes are awesome and heavily wooded. I really think the downtown of Hillsborough is really cute. When I'm there I stop at this really cute florist downtown that used to be a gas station believe it or not. You might want to check out the Mebane area as well.

Happy New Year,
Debbie

Old 01-02-2008, 08:28 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,562,426 times
Just a couple Hillsborough Website's
TOWN OF HILLSBOROUGH | Home
Orange County Schools Home Page
Hillsborough NC Arts Council - Home & Events
Tupelo's Restaurant - Hillsborough, NC
Hillsborough Web- Things to Do in Hillsborough (http://www.hillsboroughweb.com/things.html - broken link)
Hillsborough, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-02-2008, 09:55 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,959 times
I too just registered, b/c of the many questions and comments generated about an area I've come to love. I have lived in Hillsborough for 10 years now, and before that Mebane for 5. My husband was born and raised in Chapel Hill. We moved out of Chapel Hill for many reasons, and while Mebane is a well run town, it lacked the "feel" we were looking for. Hillsborough has been a great SMALL town, esp. to raise kids. The town is growing (too quickly for us it seems), but is retaining it's smalltown feel. We have a delightful "restaurant row" (not that many selections but all good restaurants), a wonderful Farmers' Market, Last Friday celebrations during the warmer months (big street fest, with free music on the Courthouse lawn), the "nationally known" (alright, Southern Living has written about it numerous times) Hog Day Celebration, and the local tribe's annual Pow-Wow. At each of these events, it seems everyone knows one another and that's been great for the kids, as well as us. Crime is extremely low (so far so good). A Community College Satellite office is getting ready to open here, with a Middle College Program for the high school kids. As far as schools go, Orange Co. has good ones (some are better than others--Cameron Park is a wonderful school, so don't be mislead by looks). As with any school system, there are things to work on. I've been impressed w/our school board and now we have a new superintendent, who was a former teacher here, left to work his way up the ladder and returned. Our school board, unlike others not to far off, work well together and have worked diligently on those areas which need improving. I have to say that I really am offended by posters who raise a local school system (ok--I'll say it: CHCCS) to the golden status ("best in the state") when every system has it's challenges. OCS is doing a good job, and I will say at the High School level we prefer CRHS over Alamance and ECCH schools. The biggest drawback to this town is that there is really too little for teenagers to do (can you tell I have some?). Sportsplex is the biggest draw, or high school activities. But Southpointe and theaters are only 15 minutes away. Hope that helps!

Last edited by ausmerika; 01-02-2008 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: better read

Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 PM

11 posts, read 43,066 times
Visit Moderator cut: removed to see more activities. I too have heard the concern about too little for teen-agers to do. The schools have some great programs, some of the churches also, but movie theatres & shopping centers are a short driving distance away.

Last edited by autumngal; 01-17-2008 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: no links with forums please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary