Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 01:32 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,511 times

Advertisements

We just had a generator installed so bring on the ice and snow storms! I can't wait for there to be enough snow to last all day so the kids can play in it. Oh, and snow not followed by this icy rain would be great too. Snow is all gone from the grass here although there are pockets of it in the woodline behind the house and some on the swingset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 02:02 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,782,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
We just had a generator installed so bring on the ice and snow storms!
What kind of generator? What was the cost? Is it portable or permanently connected? And, if in time of need, what the max you can power out and how does that translate into, say, appliances?

Thx, CNCS!

Old 01-18-2007, 02:33 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,990 times
[quote=CaliBoy;286426]No way! Imagine that. The Santa Monica Mountains is one of my hiking ground during the summer months, and the drive down Kanan Dune is awesome (among others up there). I heard it was cold out there (even Palm Springs' low was in their 20's), but never have I experienced any snow whatsoever while growing up (with exception to Big Bear, Wrightwood, etc). I'll definitely be calling up my friends who live in Westwood to confirm. Snow in L.A., surprising.

About 3 years ago in November while we were living in Southern CA (Temecula area) we had a fluke snow storm. It started out as a tremendous (even by southern standards) thunder and lightening storm between midnight and 3 am. then all fell silent and at around 4 am it started snowing. I mean snowing too. We ended up with 6 inches in our particular neighborhood because we were slightly elevated (very slightly). It snowed until around 11 am that day. News said it was the first time in 39 years that it had snowed there. Everyone was putting on their bathing suits and taking pictures in the snow in front of their swimming pools and palm trees for that years Christmas card! Great fun! The kids loved it and so did we. Now that we are in NC hopefully we will get to see much more of days like that!

Old 01-18-2007, 02:49 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,787 times
Default I remember!!

[quote=CAKD;286644]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
No way! Imagine that. The Santa Monica Mountains is one of my hiking ground during the summer months, and the drive down Kanan Dune is awesome (among others up there). I heard it was cold out there (even Palm Springs' low was in their 20's), but never have I experienced any snow whatsoever while growing up (with exception to Big Bear, Wrightwood, etc). I'll definitely be calling up my friends who live in Westwood to confirm. Snow in L.A., surprising.

About 3 years ago in November while we were living in Southern CA (Temecula area) we had a fluke snow storm. It started out as a tremendous (even by southern standards) thunder and lightening storm between midnight and 3 am. then all fell silent and at around 4 am it started snowing. I mean snowing too. We ended up with 6 inches in our particular neighborhood because we were slightly elevated (very slightly). It snowed until around 11 am that day. News said it was the first time in 39 years that it had snowed there. Everyone was putting on their bathing suits and taking pictures in the snow in front of their swimming pools and palm trees for that years Christmas card! Great fun! The kids loved it and so did we. Now that we are in NC hopefully we will get to see much more of days like that!
Yeah I remember that snow storm. Everyone still talks about it, in Murrieta.
It was freaky seeing all the freeway signs covered in snow. Good times.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
What kind of generator? What was the cost? Is it portable or permanently connected? And, if in time of need, what the max you can power out and how does that translate into, say, appliances?

Thx, CNCS!

It is permanently installed and runs on natural gas. Cost about $8000. Will run both a/c units and lights, appliances, etc for our 4000 sq ft house. If both a/c units come on at the exact same time we run the risk of tripping the generator which can be manually reset by us in a few seconds. We'd reserve running the dryer until nighttime when the household power usage is less because that is the biggest amp sucker of them all according to the installer. It was running the other day for a test and everything inside ran as usual. Only difference is the sound outside which resembles a lawnmower. It will come on after the power to the house has been down for 24 seconds.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:09 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,519,834 times
anyone get any pics of todays snowfall?

Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,670,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
anyone get any pics of todays snowfall?
No...I couldn't get my daughter to take a picture of her 'snow chicken' before it melted....lol!

http://www.wral.com/visitor_content/page/1117636/ (broken link) has some snow picture galleries and I see where Wake County has already delayed schools two hours for Friday morning. (I think they are trying to not have a repeat of this morning and turning busses around if they have to.)

Old 01-18-2007, 10:55 PM

505 posts, read 2,543,496 times
Snowstorms in Raleigh are not unusual....just want to make that clear for the newcomers. It is way more unusual to go a winter without snow. Last year was an odd year. Expect to see anywhere from 2-4 winter weather events a year as the norm.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:48 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,764 times
We haven't gotten any snow at all here in D.C.... very unusual. Usually we have a few inches sitting on the ground this time of year...

Old 01-19-2007, 09:11 AM

I took only one. There was more snow in the backyard it seemed so that is the pic I took.

Last edited by cncsmomndad; 01-19-2007 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary