Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:37 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,090,580 times

Advertisements

Would you mind sharing?

1. How much did you spend?
2. How much did you move (1 bed apt, 4 bed house?)
3. How far did you come?
4. What moving company did you use?
5. What would you do differently if you did it again?
6. Any other advice you have?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 05:02 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,699,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Would you mind sharing?

3. How far did you come?

Thanks!
I think we paid about $7k to move a 4 bedroom house 800 miles (from Tampa). We did all of the packing. Those were Summer rates. We used North American and our movers in Tampa were unbelievably horrible, but the team here (DeHavens) was great. Look around for discounts. My alumni association has one. I think AAA might have a deal with a van line. UPromise has some deals. Also, get a binding quote so there's no stress about what if your stuff weighs more than they estimate. Also don't forget you may be eligible to deduct the cost of your move for tax purposes.

Last edited by sls76; 12-29-2007 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 12-29-2007, 05:30 AM

24 posts, read 140,735 times
1. How much did you spend? $2,000
2. How much did you move (1 bed apt, 4 bed house?) Two bed room mobile home
3. How far did you come? 1100 miles
4. What moving company did you use? Penski. We hired some family members to load us, and got a company from Craiglist to unload us. They did excellent job.
5. What would you do differently if you did it again? Noting. It went smooth
6. Any other advice you have? Do not take stuff you do not need. Take your time packing, planning and so fourth. Leave plenty of time for rest if you driving many miles. Remember anything can happen during a move.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:47 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,713 times
1. How much did you spend? @ $1000 total (truck, hotel, 1 way airfare for dad, gas)
2. How much did you move (1 bed apt, 4 bed house?) 1 bed apt
3. How far did you come? tampa
4. What moving company did you use? me myself & dad
5. What would you do differently if you did it again? nothing
6. Any other advice you have? just like the above pereson said...take only what you need, I think I went to goodwill about 4 times before moving (and even went 2-3 times after moving)

Old 12-29-2007, 05:58 AM

420 posts, read 1,398,053 times

I'd say about $4,000. Gas, meals, hotels, POD's. Dh's new company here did pay us back for all but about $500. Sweet deal!

4 Bedroom home

3. How far did you come?

From Colorado

POD's. We had friends help load in Colorado. We did it ourself when we arrived, though our realtor and his wife came to help too! <wow!! Our realtor in Colorado would have *never!>

Hmmm...I think we'd spend just a little more time choosing our house. We love it here, but dh has some things he would have done differently if we hadn't felt rushed. <like insist on a garage>

Downsize as much as possible before you leave. We did this, and are so glad we did! Goodwill made a killing on us before we left, and we haven't missed one thing!

Old 12-29-2007, 06:00 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,193 times
Quote:
Would you mind sharing?

3. How far did you come?

Thanks!
1. Probably around 1,700 for full service movers and previous apartment-finding trip.
2. One bedroom apartment, myself and ancient wise shih tzu
3. From St. Petersburg, FL
4. One I will never recommend or use again - know these national companies vary from office to office so you likely won't use mine unless you're coming from St. Pete.
5. I'd either rent a truck and move my stuff myself, or I'd use ABF U Pack where you load it and they drive it.
6. Try to take a trip here first like I did, so you can drive around and check out where you want to live.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:04 AM

155 posts, read 577,292 times
Quote:
Would you mind sharing?

3. How far did you come?

Thanks!
1. How much did you spend? Around $2000 (I think, it was almost 3 years ago)

2. How much did you move (1 bed apt, 4 bed house?) 2 br apt (1 full bedroom/1 full office)

3. How far did you come? All in all I think that we drove around 800-900 miles. We stopped half way because we did the speed limit (or maybe a little under) becuase of the moving truck and trailer.

4. What moving company did you use? Penske

5. What would you do differently if you did it again? I would take a more direct route in my driving...

6. Any other advice you have? If you can, I would say do it yourself. It was an interesting/great experience for me. I was 24 and though I had made the trip before in a car, it definitely was exciting/nerve racking driving a 17' moving van while pulling a trailer with my Jeep completely off the ground behind! That made getting gas a trip! Good thing there were people there to help me back out of the gas station that I got the trailer stuck at ! I would also make sure that you have the insurance/road side assistance that the moving company will try and sell you. We ended up blowing a tire on the trailer carrying my Jeep and had to get off the highway and wait about 1 hour for someone to come and fix the issue. That was interesting especially for the cats who hated the whole ride anyways!

Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,664 times
. How much did you spend? $2500 ish
2. How much did you move (1 bed apt, 4 bed house?) 4 bedrm house 2400 sq ft
3. How far did you come? NJ
4. What moving company did you use? United Van (out of Union NJ)
5. What would you do differently if you did it again? Would have gotten rid of more stuff
6. Any other advice you have? I would use a service for sure if you are moving far .. its not worth the hassles to do it yourself. The furniture is a lot heavier than ya think. Many neighbors I saw did it themselves and for weeks had stuff (like beds) still in the livign room.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:56 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,452,289 times
Default From Wilmington, NC to Cary

Because we were caught between places -- had to be out of ours, and the apartment wouldn't be available for about three weeks, we loaded our belongings in two PODS, and had them picked up; then delivered to us.

Because we have some pieces that I don't want beat-and-banged, I always prefer to do some of the moving ourselves. I always do my own packing -- dishes and the like.

Moving from the coast here cost maybe $1200, and then a year later, we spent about $250 moving from the apartment to the house -- we only needed help with big items, like bookcases, the washer and dryer, etc. With each move, we down-sized some, mostly things I realized we weren't using or had little need for anymore.

Things went so smoothly until I can't think of anything I would do differently, unless it would be to send my husband somewhere for about two weeks. I am better organized, and want things done in a way that actually makes for less work -- while his approach, bless his heart, is 'get-r-done.'

Old 12-29-2007, 07:35 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,090,580 times
Wow, I'm pleasantly shoicked at the cost! I expected much, much more. It cost us $1200 to move 1 mile this summer. We did all the packing and hired a compnay to load it all into a big van. We have 3 kids, a lot of "grandma's" antique furniture and, admittedly--waaaay too much stuff. And last year, when I turned down that job in Raleigh because there were no relo funds, I estimated (on the chieap), minimum $7K--that was based on total moving weight, driving mileage, any hotel, airfare, etc. We've always had the full corporate relo, including broker fee covrered, bridge loans, temp housing, etc., so I really didn't know where to start.

We have a 5bed/3 ba house in the Boston area. Two cars and an old truck. Way too much furniture but DH won't get rid of most of it since he inherited it from his grandmother. And all the crap that comes wtih 3 kids; bikes, scooters, sports equipment, clothes, toys, etc. I know we can pare way down but wow, if I could do this move for less than $5K, I think I would take the chance and do it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary