Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 07:47 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,744 times

Advertisements

I don't think this says anything we don't already know or read elsewhere, but I thought I would share:

Quote:
BODY IDENTIFIED AS NANCY COOPER

CARY, NC – The Town of Cary Police Department announced tonight (http://www.townofcary.org/med/video/pressconf071808.ram (broken link)) that the deceased woman discovered just outside Town limits on Monday evening has been identified as missing Cary resident Nancy Cooper (NEWS RELEASE (http://www.townofcary.org/news/news2008/police-nancycooper.htm - broken link)), 34, of Wallsburg Court in Cary.

The investigation is now a homicide. No persons of interest or suspects have been named.

“We are appalled and outraged by this terrible tragedy. And as Chief of this department, I promise each one of you that nothing will stand in our way of doing our best to ensure a swift and certain conclusion to this case,” said Town of Cary Police Chief Pat Bazemore.

The area where Cooper was found has been treated as a crime scene since the body was discovered at about 7:30 p.m. last night. The street, Britt Abby Court, is at the far end of a subdivision under construction called the Oaks at Meadowridge. Members of the Cary Police Department as well as the City County Bureau of Identification and the Wake County Sheriff’s Office worked there throughout the evening and during the day today.

Bazemore again reiterated that this is an isolated incident but announced that the Town will not be able to release many details of the investigation. “It is imperative that none of us does or says anything that could jeopardize our efforts at identifying the person or persons responsible for Nancy’s death and bringing them to justice. For this reason, I will be very limited in what additional information I can share with you at this time, which I’m sure you understand.”

Cooper’s brother, Jeff Rentz, thanked the Cary Police Department for their work on the investigation and all of the friends and volunteers who searched for his sister. “We regret that all we can return for all of your efforts is our gratitude and our thanks,” he said.

Citizens who are interested in crime prevention are encouraged to participate in Cary’s National Night Out on August 5. National Night Out (National Night Out (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/pddept/nationalnightout.htm - broken link)) is an annual crime and drug abuse prevention event that brings citizens and Cary police together to strengthen neighborhood spirit and foster partnerships for safer communities. For crime prevention tips, visit Town of Cary : Homepage++++.

Crime Stoppers will pay up to $2,500 for information leading to the arrest or indictment of those responsible for committing certain types of crimes. If you have information, contact Crime Stoppers at 226-CRIM(E); you may also visit Cary Crime Stoppers. All calls to Crime Stoppers are kept in complete confidence.

###

PRIMARY CONTACTS: Captain Mike Williams, Investigation and Family Services, (919) 469-4017
Pat Bazemore, Police Chief, (919) 460-4023
Deanna Boone, Interim Deputy Public Information Officer, (919) 393-4383
Susan Moran, Public Information Officer, (919) 460-4951

Old 07-15-2008, 07:54 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
We really don't need WRAL or any news site to tell us "it is an isolated case". All you have to do is look at her husband, look at his lips when he is speaking. You could tell he is shaken and ashamed of what he did. That's how I knew for a fact, he did not mean to kill her but he did. Pray for him! He seemed like a decent guy who just snapped and did the unthinkable..I hope the good lord upstairs forgives him!!!
Oh my.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:57 PM

78 posts, read 199,090 times
Quote:
The husband failed to show up at a news conference held to confirm it is her body...his brother-in-law stated she would be remembered as a mother, sister and daughter..(not wife?) Prior to that, the husband told police they were having marital problems...then the body language I referred to in my earlier post..I mean, what other facts or evidence do you need????????????
Well lets see. I would like a murder weapon, DNA evidence linking him to the crime scene, just to name a few. Besides that, your statements accusing him of murder were made before that information was made available. Understand, he might very well be guilty, but to accuse someone of murder without logical thought is irresponsible, slanderous, and could very well be just cause for a liable suit in a court of law. I believe in the and have defended the Constitution of this great nation. I believe that EVERYONE is innocent until proven guilty. While the justice system has it weaknesses, it is the best in the world. If we are going to try and pronounce people guilty outside a court of law, then we might as well employ the mob mentality. However, we are suppose to be more advanced than that. We are suppose to afford people their rights. This means that they get their day in court and have a right to be tried by a jury of their peers. I guess you don't believe in this. Yet you choose to exercise freedom of speech. However, that comes with responsibilities. I guess in the end it is much easier to judge people guilty of crimes without evidence unless you happen to be the one who is being judged.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
Quote:
The husband failed to show up at a news conference held to confirm it is her body...his brother-in-law stated she would be remembered as a mother, sister and daughter..(not wife?) Prior to that, the husband told police they were having marital problems...then the body language I referred to in my earlier post..I mean, what other facts or evidence do you need????????????
Stop it right now! I can't believe some of the harmless posts that get edited by moderators around here because they are flaming or off topic. But this???

Nancy Cooper

Quote:
At this point we do not want to jeopardize the investigation in any way, nor do we want any hurtful images and stories to be propagated in a way that exacerbates an already incredibly difficult situation for those of us who were so close to Nancy.
Quote:
please respect Nancy's friends' and family's privacy

Old 07-15-2008, 08:30 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,247,141 times
I agree with the statements about holding off on judgment until we know more. The husband is getting tried in the court of public opinion before we know anything. It's true that it's usually a family member or someone the person knows, but I think murder is a little too serious an accusation to just toss around lightly.

My assistant jogs in Lochmere and I always thought of it as a safe area. I'm worried about her, but I admit I wouldn't be as worried for her if it turned out to be the husband or another family member. I feel really bad for the family - that is just terrible.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:40 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I pray that if I'm ever on trial (God forbid) that no juror decides my fate by my "body language". Let's stop this baloney and wait for the case to be solved - the right way.
Amen to that!

What a heartbreaking event to transpire within our own community! I am deeply saddened by these new developments. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Cooper family.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:49 PM

551 posts, read 575,573 times
However it happened, I think we will have an answer fairly quickly. It seems by what the police are saying and how they are acting, they already have a pretty good idea of what happened. They have made it clear that it is not random, which means the killer(s) knew her. They are also really protecting the house, which means she was most likely killed in the house and then moved. So this helps to limit the amount of suspects. I just hope if they nail who did it, that person(s) just admits it and does not drag it out. The family will need closure and should not have to suffer through another ordeal.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:51 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Quote:
Fact: He failed to show up at a news conference.
I did that about 5 months ago when my friend was killed.

Fact: She will be remembered as a loving mother, sister and daughter, according to the brother-in-law.
Perhaps he just left the husband out as an oversight? He *is* married to the sister.

Fact: They were having marital problems.
I wonder what percentage of couples have marital problems at some point in their relationships.

Let's just say that I doubt you'd get past voir dire (sp?) should you get cast into the jury pool for this trial. Thank God.

And as far as "looking the part" as you descibe, I have two words for you to explain how looks can be deceiving.

Ted. Bundy.

I'd like a few more facts. For starters:

1. What was the time of death? Can medical examiners determine if she was killed Friday night or Saturday morning?
2. What was she wearing?
3. Where were the little girls when she went missing and was the father with them?
4. Was she killed at the site where she was found or was she killed elsewhere and transported there?
5. How was she killed?

Just having those answers will go a long way towards identifying the probable killer.

Last edited by findingmesomeday; 07-15-2008 at 09:03 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 09:09 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Fact: He failed to show up at a news conference.
I did that about 5 months ago when my friend was killed.

Fact: She will be remembered as a loving mother, sister and daughter, according to the brother-in-law.
Perhaps he just left the husband out as an oversight? He *is* married to the sister.

Fact: They were having marital problems.
I wonder what percentage of couples have marital problems at some point in their relationships.

Let's just say that I doubt you'd get past voir dire (sp?) should you get cast into the jury pool for this trial. Thank God.

And as far as "looking the part" as you descibe, I have two words for you to explain how looks can be deceiving.

Ted. Bundy.

I'd like a few more facts. For starters:

1. What was the time of death? Can medical examiners determine if she was killed Friday night or Saturday morning?
2. What was she wearing?
3. Where were the little girls when she went missing and was the father with them?
4. Was she killed at the site where she was found or was she killed elsewhere and transported there?
5. How was she killed?

Just having those answers will go a long way towards identifying the probable killer.
I agree with everything you say - but it wasn't her brother IN LAW making the statement, it was her brother as stated on several news outlets.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
We really don't need WRAL or any news site to tell us "it is an isolated case". All you have to do is look at her husband, look at his lips when he is speaking. You could tell he is shaken and ashamed of what he did. That's how I knew for a fact, he did not mean to kill her but he did. Pray for him! He seemed like a decent guy who just snapped and did the unthinkable..I hope the good lord upstairs forgives him!!!
Just keep flagging it. I have twice already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary