Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 AM

767 posts, read 1,848,415 times

Advertisements

We moved in about 3 yrs ago, and had a great culdesac...all the neighbors came out every night and the kids played, it was so great. But now, no one is ever home anymore...I swear sometimes we are the only ones home on the block. One couple is always with family, one bought a vacation home and haven't been home on a weekend in months, and the others we never see. It makes me sad, I thought it was heaven the first yr or two, but it just died. The next culdesac over has all the good parties, so we go up there, but its still not the same. They say everyone is staying home because of gas prices but not where I live! Sometimes I think I'll want to move if it doesn't improve. Luckily, my kids know other kids around the block and still play regularly. Any ideas on how to revive it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:59 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,401 times
Have a party on yours and invite the other Cul de Sac over...bring the party to your neighbors and see if you can get anyone to come out and play.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
That's why I like my apt community. Always folks at the pool or fitness center.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:07 AM

847 posts, read 3,523,442 times
Does your town sponsor National Night Out? We have that in Durham; here's the national site:
Welcome to National Night Out - America's Night Out Against Crime

It is coming up soon in August! You can get your neighborhood together and have a potluck or cookout.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:14 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Unfortunately it happens. Can you try to revive it by hosting a cook out or something? My street in Cary has occassional block parties, you just need someone to get it going!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:05 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
Reminds me of my brother's culdesac in Orange County. I loved going over because there was always something going on. That was though when all there kids were younger but over time their culdesac has gone through the same changes and I do agree that it is inevitable. The adults do a once a year progressive dinner and they still do things but not with the same regularity. Use to be on a friday/saturday night neighbors would all gather with the kids playing in the street. i don't think you should moke just because of this because it's just part of life and kids grow up - priorities change so I guess one just has to go with the flow (easy for me to say).

Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 AM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
That's a shame especially when you had such a nice thing going for a couple years.

I never count on having friendly/great neighbors when I move into a neighborhood. Of course I HOPE for the best, but in my current community, people wave when they go by, but there isn't any 'hanging out' or anything. Of course we don't have a pool or HOA or anything like that, and some folks have lived in their homes for 15+ years. Others, like myself, are newer. We have a few houses that are rentals as well. Everyone kind of keeps to themselves for the most part. Some of the kids on my street and the street over will occasionally play together.

But I think one could be very disappointed if they expected to socialize with their neighbors cause things always change and you just never know....

Old 07-21-2008, 11:15 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
We moved in about 3 yrs ago, and had a great culdesac...all the neighbors came out every night and the kids played, it was so great. But now, no one is ever home anymore...I swear sometimes we are the only ones home on the block. One couple is always with family, one bought a vacation home and haven't been home on a weekend in months, and the others we never see. It makes me sad, I thought it was heaven the first yr or two, but it just died. The next culdesac over has all the good parties, so we go up there, but its still not the same. They say everyone is staying home because of gas prices but not where I live! Sometimes I think I'll want to move if it doesn't improve. Luckily, my kids know other kids around the block and still play regularly. Any ideas on how to revive it?
We live in a cul-de-sac and it is very quiet - and we LOVE it.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Years ago, when we first moved into our neighborhood, there was alot going on in the cul de sac. Especially with the kids being younger, it was great fun. It does seem as the kids get older and with people moving in and out, that this tends to die down. That is why living in a neighborhood with a pool is great. You get to get reacquainted with your neighbors.

I agree with Lamisha that maybe YOU can do some planning and start inviting people over to your cul de sac. You know what they say...HAVE FOOD AND THEY WILL COME!

Vicki

Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
YOU can bring it back to life! My neighborhood was built in '90. We have a mix of some soon to be empty nesters (kids gradulated high school), some families with young kids and some retirees. Our retired neighbor moved here a year ago and has been very active in the neighborhood. He has gone to ameeting to start a Community Watch program and there is going to be a block party this fall "that they used to have years ago". I think neighborhoods go through cycles. But they don't have to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary