Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:11 PM

119 posts, read 272,909 times

Advertisements

What the upsides and what are the downsides? Why does this city seem to be so controversial on this board? Everyone is either so against it or so for it and I'm confused! TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,771 times
Where do you live currently? There may be fact-based reasons to stay there.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:07 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,567 times
Can't say why you should move to Durham. It's not for everyone. My father, for instance, is not the target audience for a move-to-durham pep talk.

I moved to Durham because it's not squeaky clean, it's got an interesting mix of people, great restaurants, cheaper housing, history, and that indescribable "vibe."

What kind of community are you looking for?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:09 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,942 times
I can't tell you why you should or should not move here.

I can tell you that I really love living in Durham. I think it is a great city with a ton of wonderful places to eat, things to do and (most importantly) people who care about their community.

There are certainly other people around who don't like Durham and would never want to live here. They are happier where they live, and I would never tell them to move to someplace that would not make them happy.

I don't know if you are like me or like them.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:14 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,319 times
There is no reason not to move there so far as I'm concerned. It's a nice charming city.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:27 PM

119 posts, read 272,909 times
I currently live in Delaware- where there is nothing to do! OMG, its so boring here I could cry. I spend a lot of weekends sitting around with DH going "What do you want to do?" "I don't know, what do YOU want to do??"

I am looking for a place that is family friendly but not in the yuppy way, lots to do (inside and outside things), good schools, not too expensive. I used to live in Kent, Ohio- right next to Kent State University and I really liked living in a college town. There was a lot to do and the people were cool, thats why I thought I might like Durham. But I just see so many people badmouth (sometimes passive-agressively) it that it makes me wonder, also I can't tell what they are talking about because they hint at things that maybe on NCers understand?? What am I missing?

Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Funky stores.
Economically diverse -- wealthy and poor in one community.
Great local restaurants.
(Outside of S. Durham) Few "big box" chain stores.
(Outside of N. and S. Durham) Old, traditional neighborhoods on street grids.
Politically liberal, solidly so.
Compassionate.
Educated.
Arts and cultural center.
World-class university.
A real city -- not a suburb.

Do those sound like things you'd like, or dislike? Some things to think about as you consider where to live. To me, this is Durham.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:17 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
I'm so glad BCR answered because he says it the best and his posts are why I moved to Durham myself!

Sometimes people think racial diversity is bad. I'm not accusing anyone here, but I know that's part of the general perception. Also Durham is believed to be dangerous and high crime, but that's really not the case; there are some neighborhoods that need fixing that's for sure, but it's not city-wide.

Can you guys come down for a week or even a weekend and check it out? If you post that you are we can all give you some suggestions of what to see and get a nice feel for the area.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:21 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Funky stores.
Economically diverse -- wealthy and poor in one community.
Great local restaurants.
(Outside of S. Durham) Few "big box" chain stores.
(Outside of N. and S. Durham) Old, traditional neighborhoods on street grids.
Politically liberal, solidly so.
Compassionate.
Educated.
Arts and cultural center.
World-class university.
A real city -- not a suburb.

Do those sound like things you'd like, or dislike? Some things to think about as you consider where to live. To me, this is Durham.
Take it to the bank: He ain't lyin'.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:25 PM

190 posts, read 1,075,600 times
Talking I love Durham

I have lived in Raleigh, currently live in Wake Forest, and am purchasing my first NC home in .... Durham! I, like some people, was nervous about Durham in general, because of the things I had heard. BUT, now that I have been working and playing in Durham, there is nowhere else I want to live. It is diverse, energetic, and people do really care about the community. I had no intention of moving to Durham when I started working here (because of the "fear factor"), but have absolutely fallen in love with this city and the people. Lots of things to see and do! I can't wait to move!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary