Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times

Advertisements

Bah! Takes too long to make spaetzle by hand. I like my little basket/extruder thingy. It's Spaetzle for The Lazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:26 AM

121 posts, read 381,413 times
I second Guglhupf and J. Betski's

Here's one that isn't EXACTLY German, but very similar:
There is a Polish grocery store on South Alston near the corner of Alston and 54 right outside of RTP. The owners get meats and cheeses from Europe and from Polish butchers in Chicago. They do some excellent sandwiches for lunch and sell everything that you need to do your own sandwiches. IMO, it is closer to "authentic German food" than you will get at a lot of other places around here.

They also sell a bunch of other European groceries, including German foods.

Oh - the owners are very very nice and love to give out samples. Check them out.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,292,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by layyze View Post
Here's one that isn't EXACTLY German, but very similar:
There is a Polish grocery store on South Alston near the corner of Alston and 54 right outside of RTP. The owners get meats and cheeses from Europe and from Polish butchers in Chicago. They do some excellent sandwiches for lunch and sell everything that you need to do your own sandwiches. IMO, it is closer to "authentic German food" than you will get at a lot of other places around here.

They also sell a bunch of other European groceries, including German foods.

Oh - the owners are very very nice and love to give out samples. Check them out.
I 2nd this - I Love Halgo's!! And yes, the people there are sooo nice and go out of their way to try to make you happy to shop there. Their sign is kind of small. They're in the old location of a florist. I hope they can hang on during this rough economy. I'd be hoping something like this would open for years as I grew up on this kind of food. Lucky me, they're even right in my neighborhood!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,027 times
Default Open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69thunderbird View Post
Bavarian Brat Haus will soon be open in Cary, NC. This is authentic German Food. THe Brat's are American (Biggy) sized and about 10x a Nuremburg Brat.

They are opening on Corner of SE Cary PKWY and Tryon road.

Have not seen a date - but the building says "opening soon"
rumor has it the Cary location is now open?

here's the menu at the sanford/strip mall location
Bavarian Brathaus

Old 01-24-2009, 07:09 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,292,600 times
Had lunch today at the Brathaus in Cary. I'm definitely going back!! I had the Reuban sandwich which came with warm German potato salad. The corned beef was like butter, melt in your mouth. The rye bread is fantastic and they'll start offering it for take home/sale in the next month. The potato salad was excellent. We also shared a bowl of beef goulash soup, which was delicious, plentiful, and very robust. It also came with two large pieces of toasted herb bread. My spouse had potato pancakes, which I sampled - excellent, and red cabbage, which was also very good. I was torn on ordering a brat, which I saw many plates of them go by - next time - they are huge!! Our waitress was German, so that added to the experience and she was delightful. The chef made a point to visit the tables frequently to make sure everything was okay. All in all a very good experience.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:31 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
OMG, I'm so there!! Thanks for the info, hula.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:28 PM

78 posts, read 160,505 times
We thought Edelweiss Cafe in Selma was fantastic - I would encourage anyone to go there and try it for themselves. I met one of the owners when we were there - I believe one of the wait staff said she was actually from Germany. The food, atmosphere, and the town of Selma, made for a fun trip. Next time, we're hoping to take the train to Selma, stay for the 4 hours, and then ride the train back.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:40 PM

635 posts, read 3,091,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemera View Post
We once went there and I was sadly disappointed. Since we are from Germany I was looking forward to some real German food, but most of it came out of a box and was not made from scratch. The owner talekd to us and seemed pretty embarrassed by his own food.We are still looking for a real German restaurant.
But I am really happy about the bread at the Guglhupf bakery. For meats and cheese we usually go to the Southern Season, they have quiet a good selection from Schaller & Weber. But you can also order your meat from Stiglemeyer online. A bit pricey though.

We also tried another restaurant here in this area called Bavarian Brathaus in Sanford. I felt it was very pricey and didn't like it that much either, also because the atmosphere was really weird there. I don't know the reason why it is so pricey as soon as they tag their restaurant "authentic German" it's just no reason for me. I'd rather spent that money now in a really good and fancy restaurant and just quit searching for real German food ( I cook it myself).
That's an interesting perspective from someone who knows German food on the Bavarian Brathaus here in Sanford as I too wondered why it was soooo expensive I thought the food was generally OK, although it is VERY popular here.

Al

Old 02-02-2009, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,632 times
where in Cary is the Bavarian Brathaus?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:31 PM

78 posts, read 160,505 times
Cary Parkway and Tryon Road - I ate there Saturday and didn't see much of a sign - I spotted their colorful flag near the front door. Table was dirty, and server didn't offer to move me; food (garlic brat, sour kraut, mashed potatoes) was ok; cost with soda, $10.99 I think. I plan to eat there again. Overall impression was it was fine - but nothing exceptional. It was kind of cool that there were a number of what appeared to me to be native German speakers at a table near mine speaking in their native tounge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary