Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:09 PM

302 posts, read 961,679 times

Advertisements

I'm coming to visit the area soon and want to bring my fiance around and show her some of the nicer areas. She grew up in orange county CA so the neighborhoods were all meticulously landscaped with flowers everywhere, lots of new buildings, houses, etc. I just want her to have a good impression of this area because i really believe this is where we need to be sto start our life together. We live in LI NY now and she hates it here. All advice welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 02:11 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,274 times
Meadowmont in Chapel Hill comes to mind

Old 07-30-2008, 02:22 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Fearrington Village is also like that.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:23 PM

152 posts, read 541,855 times
Everytime we pick people up from the airport they always comment about the drive home. We take Cary Parkway (vs. the beltline) which is especially nice with all the crepe myrtles in bloom and all the sculpted trees. Its a nice drive to get from point A to point B and always looks nice. What area will you be working in?

Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 PM

152 posts, read 541,855 times
Just thought of something else. BTW-Duke Gardens are nice.

I'd still ask where your job is and where you'd likely want to call home base. Also what is important--restaurants, culture, outdoors/athletics. I'll add these without knowing the above.

Shopping--Streets of Southpoint is nice, and new, it has a different type of interior and nice outside shops as well. Also good restaurants.

Parks--if in the Raleigh area...Lake Johnson (off of Avent Ferry) has a nice little lake with bridge leading to great walking trails in the woods. Paddle boat rentals too.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:59 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Default reply

In Raleigh I recommend Cowper Drive, Holt Drive, White Oak Rd, Lake Drive, Beechridge Road, The Rose Garden, Marlowe Road and Lassiter Mill Park.All are beautiful areas with the best most mature landscaping in town.

Last edited by uncletupelo; 07-30-2008 at 03:21 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 03:03 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
I'm coming to visit the area soon and want to bring my fiance around and show her some of the nicer areas. She grew up in orange county CA so the neighborhoods were all meticulously landscaped with flowers everywhere, lots of new buildings, houses, etc. I just want her to have a good impression of this area because i really believe this is where we need to be sto start our life together. We live in LI NY now and she hates it here. All advice welcome.
I was showing someone from O.C. around awhile back and what I think really impressed him was the pretty areas here that were so different from O.C. The old established neighborhoods inside the beltline with beautiful trees and historic homes were the places that really stood out. That and some of the area lakes.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 PM

355 posts, read 1,502,831 times
West Chatham Street between Old Apex road and Cary Parkway is my favorite! My husband and i walk that stretch everyday. Very pretty.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:58 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,993 times
Cary Parkway and the Preston area.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:27 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
What does she like? What do you think will impress her? Does she like new construction neighborhoods or do you think she'd prefer older, historic areas? Do you want to show her more prestigious neighborhoods or are you hoping to show her what kind of home you could afford down here?

The campus at Duke - especially Duke Gardens & the chapel - are always hits with tourists. I like the beautiful old mansions in Hope Valley (which is just south of Duke). As others have said, there are also some great old neighborhoods in the heart of Raleigh & in downtown Chapel Hill, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary