Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 06:25 AM

67 posts, read 331,396 times

Advertisements

Hi

Presently we have central air where we live. Our lease expires at the end of August, so we will be moving to a new place at that time. But the only problem I am having right now is that the home we found uses A/C units. There are two units in the house. A big one (whirlpool) which cools the living room, kitchen and dining area since it's an open floor plan and there is one in the master bedroom. This house is 1100 sq ft with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. Is there anyone here who can give an idea as to what the electric bill might be during the summer? The house is surrounded by a couple of trees. Just to give you an idea. Anyway I appreciate anything you have to say. I need to know before I can move forward.

Thanks so much

Last edited by kck69; 07-31-2008 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 06:42 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
I can't give detailed info about what it will be like here in NC, but I am from FL and lived for 7 years in apartments with window a/c units only. The first apartment only had one window a/c in the living room and nothing in the bedrooms, so we used fans to direct the air back to the bedrooms. It is hot and muggy in FL for about 9 months out of the year and I don't remember our electric bills being outrageous.

The other apartment I lived in was on the second floor (heat rises) and had one unit in the living room and a smaller unit in the master br. We would generally keep the one in the bedroom off except for at night and run the other one only when someone was home, using ceiling fans to move the air around. Again, our bills weren't all that bad.

A lot will depend on the size of the house, how well the house is insulated, how energy efficient your particular a/c units are, how many people will be living there and how cool you like your home to be. For me it was not a big deal, but if you like to keep it at 65 all summer long it could add up.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:47 AM

847 posts, read 3,523,161 times
We had two A/C units at our last house. The units were new, and were in the LR and Master BR. It was 1/2 the square footage of our current house. We used Duke Power in both places. With twice as many lights, a washer & dryer, and a dishwasher in the new place (we didn't have these in the old home), our electric bill in the summer is the same as it was in the old home. I think the A/C units ate up quite a bit of electricity. They're also loud and didn't cool as well as central air. (On the other hand, I miss the warm gas furnace!) The trees might help; we didn't have trees.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
It would be hard for us to gage for you. I don't know what electric company you use, but Duke Power will give you the average bills of the previous resident for a particular time of year. You just provide the address. I agree with the pp that I think central air may be more efficient than (window/wall) units, but that may depend on what type. With central air, I set the thermostat on auto. It only comes on when the indoor temp goes above a preset level so it doesn't stay on constantly like most units. Also more energy is saved by keeping it at a certain level than turning it on when it gets unbearable and off when it gets too cold. I'm comfortable most days (stay at home during the day), adjust it down at night and adjust it up at mid-morning.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 AM

847 posts, read 3,523,161 times
Take what Duke Power tells you about the previous homeowner's usage with a grain of salt. Maybe they can give you more than just one owner's history. They quoted us 4 times what our bill is... I have no idea what the previous owners were doing in here!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:49 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Window A/C units are not nearly as efficient as central A/C - they cool, but block daylight, are loud, and will run you higher bills.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:07 PM

67 posts, read 331,396 times
Well thank you very much. I called Progress Energy today and they gave me the average bill of the previous tenant for the last year. It was reasonable. Of course, ours might not be the same, but at least I have some idea what I am getting myself into. The house we want to move into does not have a dishwasher, but we plan on using a portable one, not sure how much difference that will make in to bill. But I we will see. Thanks again and I will keep checking to hear what more you have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary