Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:19 AM

100 posts, read 243,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Wouldn't this be unconstitutional??
Most things that the US government has done and continues to do since the constitution was adopted has been unconstitutional. Might as well start having some benefit rather than detriment. Moreover, there is this thing called ratification...it is a living body of work, even though it is more dead than ever today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 07:16 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Sex (I hate to tell some of you) is a natural part of life, but gunfire and blowing people up is NOT....yet video game stores always seem to be blaring violent games on their monitors, and their audience is much younger than the A&F set.

It boggles my mind how something that's a normal part of life (eventually) causes such fuss when something like killing is generally given a shoulder shrug, even by parents.

Which would you rather your 12-year-old do (not that they should be doing either!)--have sex, or get a gun and try to kill somoene?
There is an ENORMOUS difference between playing a video game and picking up a real gun and shooting real people with it. Millions and millions of Americans play video games regularly and an extremely high majority of them never shoot anyone, so this comparison is ridiculous. Besides, the violent games out there are rated M for Mature audiences. They are not intended for children.

I'm not saying I actually enjoy violent video games. I honestly find most of them quite distasteful, so I don't play them and I certainly understand why parents would forbid children from playing them (just as they might forbid their children from watching R rated movies). But video games are just as guilty of inciting violence as books. Would you say that "The Catcher In The Rye" should be banned because one person who read it said it inspired him to kill another man? Or would you blame the killer for his own actions?

Bringing video games into this discussion will quickly swing this thread WAY off topic & I don't mean to do that, but I could not let such a ridiculous statement go uncontested.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:31 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,920 times
Actually, violent video games are known to desensitize people to violence. And I don't know about you, but I know a lot more kids who have access to violent video games than I know that are reading the Catcher in the Rye, but I digress.

But as far as the A&F thing goes, Kelly, I get your point, I respect your point but unfortunately, it's a censorship thing, and I'm not for censorship. As parents, we can't rely on society to make sure the world is kid-friendly. We have to do our part, and try in the best ways we know how to pass down our values, despite the current trends and intense marketing ploys.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,762 times
I don't like A&F's ads either, but the best way to deal with them is by people not buying their ridiculously overpriced crappy clothing. Who buys that crap? My teen son laughs at kids who wear that stuff. I would not buy their stuff for any of my kids, because I don't care for the ads-I vote with my wallet.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:41 AM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I don't like A&F's ads either, but the best way to deal with them is by people not buying their ridiculously overpriced crappy clothing. Who buys that crap? My teen son laughs at kids who wear that stuff. I would not buy their stuff for any of my kids, because I don't care for the ads-I vote with my wallet.
I like your kid.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times
Quote:
And that's the truth. When it comes down to private, retail business; money talks.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:55 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Quote:
I don't care for A&F either. When I wouldn't buy their clothes for my older daughter, she got a job there and purchased her own clothes! She got them over l/2 off...almost what they are worth! So I agree with you...vote with your wallet. I won't buy their junk for my younger daughter but I don't encourage her to laugh at others for their clothing or any of their other choices. I do try to explain WHY some feel the need to spend more as it makes them FEEL better about themselves and she needs to feel better about herself based on other things but she should also feel blessed with what she has and not make fun of others that have more or less than she has.

Vicki

Old 08-06-2008, 12:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Bringing video games into this discussion will quickly swing this thread WAY off topic & I don't mean to do that, but I could not let such a ridiculous statement go uncontested.
My point was that very often, the same folks who get their knickers in a twist at the sight of the human body are ho-hum about violence. With teenagers (the so-called "victims" of this poster), that usually means many hours of exposure to video games, TV, and movies where people are killed or blown up. Where are the protests and boycotts over that, is my point.

And, your point (which I agree with) about "video games don't equate to violence" can be EXACTLY paralleled here by saying "a poster of a half-clad man does not equate to sex." I was only pointing out that if the "protestors" are so convinced that kids are going to start having orgies because of this poster, then why aren't they concerned that kids might start getting violent due to video games/movies. I didn't say *I* thought that way.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
Thanks, Francois. Sorry if I may have scorched you a bit there. As you can tell, I'm a bit defensive on that subject.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:23 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Wouldn't this be unconstitutional??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
My point was that very often, the same folks who get their knickers in a twist at the sight of the human body are ho-hum about violence. With teenagers (the so-called "victims" of this poster), that usually means many hours of exposure to video games, TV, and movies where people are killed or blown up. Where are the protests and boycotts over that, is my point.
People do protest that. Senators have commented on it. Family groups are often up in arms. However, it's not often that I traipse into the mall, a quasi-public space, and see someone being decapitated. Only every so often; usually on Wednesdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary