Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 AM

488 posts, read 1,556,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
I admit that I could care less about this stuff until I had my daughter. The strict upbringing in me came right out when she was born. People who knew me in my hangin out at bar days were like, "Who is this?". This not uncommon though, it happens to most parents to some degree. As an adult, I can handle more expressive forms of media, but I don't like the impressions this will have on a child who doesn't understand the world the way an adult does.
It's interesting I'd say that my stance on issues changed a lot after my children were born as well. I grew up in a Conservative family and have conservative values, However, I would say that my stance on issues like this and many others have actually gotten more liberal. IMO it's MY job to teach my children morals, values, right from wrong etc and at the same time it's my job to protect their basic freedoms that this country gives them including freedom of speech. If you think that your child can't understand this poster than don't go to the mall.

To me it's a lot like the Golden Compass. As a Christian I don't agree with the movie, I didn't take my children to see it but I also didn't picket it or ask the movie theater to not show it. The author of the book, the director of the movie and the actors in that movie have a right to produce whatever form or art they want it's their right but it's my right to choose to not contribute by purchasing a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 AM

353 posts, read 1,368,020 times
Moderator cut: quote removed

Moderator cut: off topic
Someone asked if people responding would divulge if they had kids and I did. Somehow I quoted you in error. I meant to quote the post by lauren4521 which said "I am wondering if those that are disagreeing here would volunteer whether or not they have kids."

By the way, I'm 40 too - but look younger...

Last edited by autumngal; 08-05-2008 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,650,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
I am wondering if those that are disagreeing here would volunteer whether or not they have kids. Just curious (not an accusation of any sort).
No, I do not, but I have had plenty of maternal instinct for my younger sister growing up, so I understand to some extent people's concerns about younger kids' exposure to sexual innuendo. Some of us are actually capable of being empathetic to other people's views even if we don't agree 100%.

I just feel that parental involvement and censorship are the key issues here. This protest is just an example of our litigious society that likes to make everyone else responsible for their kids' upbringing, or else. If you don't like A&F, don't go there. The store is for older teens and early 20-somethings anyway. If your kids like that style of clothes, but you don't want them shopping there, there are at least three other stores I can think of that are alternatives selling the same style with less edgy marketing campaigns. Or even try abercrombie (the younger teen iteration) as someone else mentioned (although I can't vouch for their marketing since I've never been in the store).

I still think that this image is a great opportunity for people (not just parents and kids, but especially important for parents and young, impressionable children and tweens) to discuss appreciating the beauty of the human form without sexualizing it. Something can be sexy and beautiful at the same time without being lewd and lascivious.

The fact is, people can't just impose their strict view of one particular image, when that image does not violate any laws, in a society that prides its right to freedom of expression. That, my friends, would be censorship, which is what this protest is actually advocating. As others have already said, the slippery slope of censorship is what everyone should really be afraid of, not a photo of some guy's torso modeling low-rise jeans.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,735,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
This protest is just an example of our litigious society that likes to make everyone else responsible for their kids' upbringing, or else.
Where does litigation or lawsuits come into this at all?

Old 08-05-2008, 10:31 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,029,558 times
This has been an interesting thread.... clearly the fact the poster
is in plain sight for mall shoppers and targets teens bothers some and
not others.

Comparing it to something in a movie or magazine or inside the store misses the point that it is visible to families walking around at the mall not just to people who enter the store..big difference.

Seems we should all respect each others opinion and right to speak up if we feel anything is bad for the kids.

If the parents that object all let the mall and the larger stores know that they will spend their shopping dollars elsewhere then they have protested
with their hard earned dollars. If enough complain the poster might come down.

Never fail to speak up because you think your one small voice will not make a difference or tell someone to not bother because of that !!
Rosa Parks, Amber Alert, Jessica's Law comes to mind on that point (and no..I am not comparing the poster protesters to them...just the one small voice point)

Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 PM

100 posts, read 243,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
This has been an interesting thread.... clearly the fact the poster
is in plain sight for mall shoppers and targets teens bothers some and
not others.

Comparing it to something in a movie or magazine or inside the store misses the point that it is visible to families walking around at the mall not just to people who enter the store..big difference.

Seems we should all respect each others opinion and right to speak up if we feel anything is bad for the kids.

If the parents that object all let the mall and the larger stores know that they will spend their shopping dollars elsewhere then they have protested
with their hard earned dollars. If enough complain the poster might come down.

Never fail to speak up because you think your one small voice will not make a difference or tell someone to not bother because of that !!
Rosa Parks, Amber Alert, Jessica's Law comes to mind on that point (and no..I am not comparing the poster protesters to them...just the one small voice point)
Actually and unfortunately, you are still missing the point. The mall is not a public space Public space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it is private and as such the owners are abiding by the laws as they stand today. SO sorry, I fail to see the difference between a private movie, a private mag, a private store, and a private mall. They are all private. They are all available for a family to see or not see.

We would be better off if consequences dictated punishment and reward...not opinion, nor idiotic laws. If a child cries because of the picture, then perhaps take it down and punish the store owner for the consequence of making the child cry. If a parent doesn't like the picture...tough crap, that's life, you're an adult, get over it! If a parent then makes a false claim against the business owner stating something about hurting their child (crying or whatnot) and the event never happened, or lets say that the protest causes a traffic jam or traffic accident...then punish the parent for stirring up trouble and the potential lost revenue for their lies or the consequence of creating a ruckus; traffic jam / accident due to their protest . Now that's fairness and respect. Not giving in one way or another, as one side looses their rights that way. Each action can be weighed separately based on the consequences that occur.

Moderator cut: inappropriate a better and more lengthy explanation than what I give can be read for free here; Invisible Hand by Larry Mason (Book) in Science Fiction & Fantasy (Link at bottom of description)

Last edited by autumngal; 08-05-2008 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull_city_original View Post
Actually and unfortunately, you are still missing the point. The mall is not a public space Public space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it is private and as such the owners are abiding by the laws as they stand today.
Never said it was public...just that the mall cares about keeping its consumers happy for financial reasons. I don't remember anyone saying anything about them breaking laws; I know I didn't.

A & F rents/leases space so if they began doing something that offended
alot of shoppers the mall would put a stop to it in a hurry. This
poster offends some and not others , so if the offended speak up to the mall the numbers will determine whether anything is done.

Reminds me of the smoking in restaurants issue ..the more people it bothers the more restaurants go Smoke Free. Its not a law in NC yet
but businesses want their customers happy.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull_city_original View Post
or lets say that the protest causes a traffic jam or traffic accident...then punish the parent for stirring up trouble and the potential lost revenue for their lies or the consequence of creating a ruckus; traffic jam / accident due to their protest .
Wouldn't this be unconstitutional??

Old 08-05-2008, 02:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,853,675 times
Quote:
And while I don't equate the male torso with sex, this particular poster is SEXY and again to me, that's an adult concept that shouldn't be plastered in a place that children are.
I wonder how those who are so up in arms (heh heh, get it?) about a half-clad man feel about the MUCH bigger problem of VIOLENCE directed to teens and (especially) pre-teens? Where is the outcry over all of the video games that involve blowing people up, blowing ships up, blowing countries up? Sex (I hate to tell some of you) is a natural part of life, but gunfire and blowing people up is NOT....yet video game stores always seem to be blaring violent games on their monitors, and their audience is much younger than the A&F set.

It boggles my mind how something that's a normal part of life (eventually) causes such fuss when something like killing is generally given a shoulder shrug, even by parents.

Which would you rather your 12-year-old do (not that they should be doing either!)--have sex, or get a gun and try to kill somoene?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I wonder how those who are so up in arms (heh heh, get it?) about a half-clad man feel about the MUCH bigger problem of VIOLENCE directed to teens and (especially) pre-teens? Where is the outcry over all of the video games that involve blowing people up, blowing ships up, blowing countries up? Sex (I hate to tell some of you) is a natural part of life, but gunfire and blowing people up is NOT....yet video game stores always seem to be blaring violent games on their monitors, and their audience is much younger than the A&F set.

It boggles my mind how something that's a normal part of life (eventually) causes such fuss when something like killing is generally given a shoulder shrug, even by parents.

Which would you rather your 12-year-old do (not that they should be doing either!)--have sex, or get a gun and try to kill somoene?
Since you asked....

I do not allow my kids to play those video games or go to those movies.
This type of poster has been inside A&F before which makes it easy to avoid .. The issue is that it is outside the store.

I don't know why everyone thinks some are so up in arms about it...
I just beleive in speaking up about what I don't think is a good thing.

I am surprised at how "up in arms " everyone has been about people who speak up for their beliefs.

Sex ..may be a natural part of life but in the hands of a teen can have some dire results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary