Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:52 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,568,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
No, that's true, but to many people they're kind of background noise -- you see that "08" on the license or that sticker on the front every day, and you don't think to look at it, so you miss it when the appropriate time comes.
You're right about that. I know that when I lived in VA it was hard to miss when your inspection was due because the sticker was right in the middle of your windshield and it had the month and year in huge font.

I kind of like the idea of not having any sticker on your window. With today's computer technology none of that is really needed anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 06:04 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,182,444 times
Got my renewal in today's mail and renewed online. My new stuff will be mailed to me.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:14 PM

207 posts, read 1,089,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenocean View Post
It was a terrible morning for me. Stopped by a policeman while driving to work in Cary/Morrisville. He gave me two tickets for expired registration plate and inspection, which both got expired in March. I had no idea about it. I move to NC from MA early 2007, got NC driver’s license, new inspection certificate and NC plate as soon as I can. I have not received any notices regarding renewing the plate. I was not sure if the state inspection should be done every year or every two years.

Can anyone here explain the process about renewing these two things?
Also hope this is a reminder for every newcomer.

Each ticket is $150. Should I go to the Wake County court to appeal?
There is nothing for you to appeal. When you show up on your court date you can talk to the district attorney and show them your updated registration card and your inspection showing you passed. The judge will then get rid of the two citations and you'll have to pay court costs which are $110 unless they have been increased.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:07 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,106,606 times
They must be on a blitz because I got stopped on Wednesday night at 11pm for an expired reg (the little sticker on the back of the plate!). My windscreen registration was current.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:40 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,972,652 times
This easily could have happened to me, my registration expires this month but even though the sticker is right there when I drive, it wasn't exactly on my mind...when I got an oil change the guy noticed and reminded me. Whew...

Old 08-09-2008, 10:29 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,025,337 times
My son got a ticket for our car registration being overdue..
I felt bad because he is 18 and has been ticket free...
When you have 5-6 cars/motorcycles/boats ect all with
different registration and inspection dates it gets hard to
keep straight.

I have decided to put a 1 page - 12 month calender in my office that
list these things by the month : birthdays/ pets yearly shots/
car oil change,registration,inspections,/kids yearly physicals/
AC filter replacements/ smoke alarm battery changes.......

All the things that I forget....(oh...I don't forget my kids physicals..LOL
I just have to call to find out when they are due)

Does anybody think this is a good idea???

Old 08-09-2008, 10:39 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,017,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
keep straight.

Sounds like a great idea. I use a free Internet version for dates I want to remember. Primarily for birthdays, but you can use it for other items too with a little creativity. Example: Mustang Oilchange - July 6th. They'll send you two e-mail reminders leading up to the target date.

Birthday Alarm, Greeting Cards and Reminders

Old 08-09-2008, 01:55 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,182,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
keep straight.

This kind of ticket normally doesn't hurt you as a driver.

Calendar's a good idea.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:09 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,437,942 times
I have a question regarding a similar situation. I work for a company here in NC that I sometimes have to use their vehicle for making deliveries to customers. The vehicle is not registered to me, I just drive it if necessary. The vehicles' registration expired in October (Nov 15 with grace period), and I don't believe they've taken the steps to renew the registration.

My question: Can I get a ticket that would go on MY driving record while driving THEIR vehicle? It's not my responsibility to renew it, I just do what I'm told for my job. But my driving record of 24 years is SPOTLESS and I want to keep it that way! I renew my personal registration, I shouldn't have to take the fall for their lack of responsibility.

I suppose if I did get a ticket for operating a vehicle with an expired registration that I could get it thrown out in court...however, I despise the idea of having to take unpaid time off work to go and fight something that THEY should have taken care of and that is completely out of my control.

I'm on the virge of telling them that until they get the registration renewed and the new expiration tag put on, I won't be driving that vehicle. I don't want ANYTHING to tarnish my clean driving record!

Last edited by jdljr; 11-11-2008 at 06:28 PM..

Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM

207 posts, read 1,089,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
I have a question regarding a similar situation. I work for a company here in NC that I sometimes have to use their vehicle for making deliveries to customers. The vehicle is not registered to me, I just drive it if necessary. The vehicles' registration expired in October (Nov 15 with grace period), and I don't believe they've taken the steps to renew the registration.

My question: Can I get a ticket that would go on MY driving record while driving THEIR vehicle? It's not my responsibility to renew it, I just do what I'm told for my job. But my driving record of 24 years is SPOTLESS and I want to keep it that way! I renew my personal registration, I shouldn't have to take the fall for their lack of responsibility.

I suppose if I did get a ticket for operating a vehicle with an expired registration that I could get it thrown out in court...however, I despise the idea of having to take unpaid time off work to go and fight something that THEY should have taken care of and that is completely out of my control.

I'm on the virge of telling them that until they get the registration renewed and the new expiration tag put on, I won't be driving that vehicle. I don't want ANYTHING to tarnish my clean driving record!
If an officer pulls you over in your company truck that has expired registration he can write you a ticket for the violation even though the vehicle isn't registered in your name. Unfortunately when you drive a vehicle you are accountable for insuring everything is up to date and current or you are liable. The only time you aren't responsible is when it comes to insurance violations. You can't be written a ticket for anything insurance related (no insurance, etc...) if the vehicle isn't registered in your name.

I'd definitely tell your company to get on the ball and get the registration updated. Most of the time if I pulled over a company vehicle I'd just warn the driver since it was really the companies fault even though I could have ticketed him. I'd only write the ticket if the driver was rude (more common than you might think).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary