Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 07:44 PM

94 posts, read 482,205 times

Advertisements

do you have the contact info to who you leased from? thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkybutt View Post
We didn't have trouble finding a place to rent. We looked on Craigslist and ended up going with a company that has several rental houses throughout Durham. We just had to pay 1 month's rent in advance as a security deposit. It took my husband about 2 months to find a job, but unfortunately, I still haven't been able to get one in the 5 months we've been here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 08:11 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Personally, I didn't encounter the type of reaction that you're getting. It's unfortunate. I applied for jobs while I was living out of state. I recieved the offer while I was still living two states away and once I had it I had to present the offer letter to the rental company as proof of income. The offer letter showed my yearly income which had to meet the rental company's 3x monthly rent qualifications along with credit check. I didn't even meet the rental people face to face. I faxed the offer letter to them while I was still out of state and completed the application process while I was out of state as well. That was it. I did my research on apts and areas so when I got the offer I already knew where I wanted to live.
My suspicions are that employers of higher ended salary positions may be more willing to work with a candidate and their situation (as well as a more upscale residence). Since my husband's job search was on the lower end it seemed like he was just another number and if he couldn't come in tomorrow for an interview, NEXT! That local address didn't mean squat then.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 74,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
My suspicions are that employers of higher ended salary positions may be more willing to work with a candidate and their situation (as well as a more upscale residence). Since my husband's job search was on the lower end it seemed like he was just another number and if he couldn't come in tomorrow for an interview, NEXT! That local address didn't mean squat then.
Mia,

If I can ask, what sort of work do you and your husband do? I'm in high-end pharma/chem customer service and my wife is a mid-range administrative assistant.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
I think that you're right on.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:06 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
We came from California with no jobs and had no problem with getting an apartment. As long as we could show we had the finances we were good to go. I would only encourage you to come if you have a nice egg rest you can draw from while you're looking for work. A person has to take chances but you have to be practical about this kind of chance. Best of luck. Hey, try Windemere Apartments in North Raleigh.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:39 AM

741 posts, read 3,511,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr121 View Post
We keep running into the problem of employers saying "We're interested, but contact us when you move down here." On the other hand, the apartment complexes tell us "If you don't have a job, then just provide proof that you've got 3 YEARS rent in savings." If I had $30,000 wouldn't I just get a house?

Currently we're in NJ and have plans to move down in November, but this Catch 22 is really discouraging. No Job = No Apartment / No Local Address = No Job.

Has anyone else run into this? How have you overcome it? We really want to move down for a better quality of life, but this is a real roadblock.

We're professionals in our mid-30's, good rental history, solid employment records... what gives?

Thanks for any input!

R&C
They will accept a promise of employment letter also. This happened to us, and after explaining to the interviewer the letter was no problem. This happens alot.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:55 AM

259 posts, read 1,041,961 times
Prior to moving to Raleigh I emailed at least 50 resumes to prospective employers in my line of work. I emailed the many prospective employers that responded and we set up a day and time we could meet. Then I drove to Raleigh from NJ (I'm originally from CA) and stayed in a hotel for one week. During that week I was driving from one interview to another, and also spend time looking for an apartment (I found both.) This was during the first week of April when there were still some decent fulltime jobs available. I did not know my way around so Mapquest was very helpful. I was offered "3" positions and unfortunately I chose the wrong one. But I did need an offer letter before I could sign a lease.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:45 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr121 View Post
Mia,

If I can ask, what sort of work do you and your husband do? I'm in high-end pharma/chem customer service and my wife is a mid-range administrative assistant.
He was very much blue collar, working as a floor tech (buffing, waxing, scrubbing). He was applying to the universities and hospitals in the Triangle area. I'm a sahm.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:17 PM

286 posts, read 994,494 times
Our apartments gave the option of using a co-signer if you couldnt prove you had the right income. We did find it difficult to obtain employment without being here. Coming from Michigan I couldnt fly down for every interview and I think a lot of them that would have been iterested were put off by the out of state thing. I found employment in the first month here.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:33 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
It's hit and miss for most people, sometimes you'll get lucky and land a job in the first month or so. For others, it can take several months before you can find a decent job. Now more than ever jobs are getting increasingly competitive as a lot of companies are starting to lay off workers. Even though the flow new jobs is stagnating, the amount of people coming into the state has continued growing.

All in all, an employer will favor someone local as opposed to out of state. A lot of times companies pay for new employees to move, and eliminating that expense for them goes a long ways.

Either way, unless you have extensive savings, I would not move without a job. It puts you in a dangerous situation should things not work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary