Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 08:10 AM

90 posts, read 237,194 times

Advertisements

After endless research, the zip codes of 27513, 27519 & 27523 seem to stick out as possibilities for us due to location and the lay of the land that we like. Can anyone tell us what these areas are like to live in? Ideally, we would love to find a single family house with a 1st floor master, 2500 square feet +/_ 500 depending on layout, and a smaller yard with a private backyard. We would consider a new house so there would be minimal repairs. We would also consider a house that is a little more established, so the landscaping would have already come in. I think we would consider a new home that is positioned properly on a small lot to make the back yard a little private or a home less than 15 years old that has been updated. We do not want a fixer or something that needs a lot of repair. If the lot were perfect, we would consider a house that would require new carpets, paint and counter tops, but that is about it. The house must have at least a 2 car garage. No garage, no deal.

What is our house going to cost us in these 3 zip codes.

FYI The price range we would like to be in would be $300k to $375k ($350k would be better).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 08:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Thumbs up Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungHD View Post
After endless research, the zip codes of 27513, 27519 & 27523 seem to stick out as possibilities for us due to location and the lay of the land that we like. Can anyone tell us what these areas are like to live in? Ideally, we would love to find a single family house with a 1st floor master, 2500 square feet +/_ 500 depending on layout, and a smaller yard with a private backyard. We would consider a new house so there would be minimal repairs. We would also consider a house that is a little more established, so the landscaping would have already come in. I think we would consider a new home that is positioned properly on a small lot to make the back yard a little private or a home less than 15 years old that has been updated. We do not want a fixer or something that needs a lot of repair. If the lot were perfect, we would consider a house that would require new carpets, paint and counter tops, but that is about it. The house must have at least a 2 car garage. No garage, no deal.

What is our house going to cost us in these 3 zip codes.

FYI The price range we would like to be in would be $300k to $375k ($350k would be better).
It is tough to talk about areas in terms of zip codes around here because an individual zip covers such a large geographic region and sometimes contains both rural and urban protions. That being said Nothing jumps out at me about those particular zips.

Here is a great zip code Map where you can type in the zip you are curious about and see what area it covers on a google map. It has been posted in the Past by other helpful users like Mike Jaquish and rwally.

Zip Code Map

Old 08-16-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
It is tough to talk about areas in terms of zip codes around here because an individual zip covers such a large geographic region and sometimes contains both rural and urban protions. That being said Nothing jumps out at me about those particular zips.
They are portions of Apex and Cary. The 27519 seems to be where all the new construction is in Cary and the 27513 seems to be a little more established. The 27523 is the northern portion of Apex that seems to have a mix. We feel that what we are looking for may be found in these areas. We use zip codes because it is easy to search in FM with them.

Thank you for the link you provided. I am sure it will be helpful.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:36 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Edit - looks like we were posting at the same time. Looks like we more or less agree on the areas you mentioned.

As NRG mentioned, these zip codes cover a large area. The first two are Cary. At the risk of overgeneralizing 27513 is generally more established while 27519 will tend to be newer construction. 27513 will have more established infrastructure and shopping, while you'll have more new construction options in 27519. 27519 will in general have more airport noise.

27523 is Apex - it's a bit further from RTP so a bit less expensive than the closer in zips on a whole. Otherwise you'll find similar things to the other two zips.

I think you'll be able to find houses in any of the areas for what you're looking to pay. There's over 50 houses for sale in those zips with 2500+ sq ft, 2 car garage, between 300K and 350K. Being a little more flexible on size adds a few dozen more, and adding 27511 (most of the rest of Cary) gets you 10 more to look at. Your biggest problem is likely to be seeing them all instead of having a lack of options.

First floor master might be the only real sticking point - that's a relatively new trend, and you're likely going to be looking at slightly older construction. But out of 50 or 75 houses, you're bound to find a few.

Last edited by KCfromNC; 08-16-2008 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: Posted at the same time as OP

Old 08-16-2008, 02:10 PM

186 posts, read 659,715 times
I would try hpw.com because you can search by neighborhood, school district, etc. and you should be able to narrow your search a bit.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:06 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,993 times
Default Why first floor master?

Just out of sheer curiosity, why does anyone (well, anyone with kids) want a first floor master? Personally, I would think that it would take up living space on a floor where there's other unrelated areas such as kitchen, dining room, etc. Also, as a parent, I prefer to be on the same floor as my children.

Am I missing something with the trend to like the first floor master?

Old 08-16-2008, 08:40 PM

43,285 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
Just out of sheer curiosity, why does anyone (well, anyone with kids) want a first floor master? Personally, I would think that it would take up living space on a floor where there's other unrelated areas such as kitchen, dining room, etc. Also, as a parent, I prefer to be on the same floor as my children.

When the kids are toddlers, or up to about 5 years old, I agree.
I see people with 10 year old kids to teenagers who enjoy the separation.

For the OP, there is a fine selection of homes as described. I would suggest also considering the 27502, 27511 and 27518 zips.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post

We would prefer to have everything on the first floor and not have to use stairs at all. Second to that, we would like all of our living on the first floor and guests upstairs. It is just a lot more convenient to have one level living. We love the look of a one story layout on top of the convenience. Unfortunately, it is also a lot pricier.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:32 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungHD View Post
We would prefer to have everything on the first floor and not have to use stairs at all. Second to that, we would like all of our living on the first floor and guests upstairs. It is just a lot more convenient to have one level living. We love the look of a one story layout on top of the convenience. Unfortunately, it is also a lot pricier.
Mike and Samsung -- I see both your points now, particularly when it comes to the kids getting older and wanting the separation. I can also understand the convenience associated with "one level living".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary