Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 AM

42 posts, read 68,833 times

Advertisements

In Dallas/Ft Worth we had a good down home Fried Chicken and Chicken Fried Steak place called Babe's. Everything was served family style, all you can eat.

I've found nothing like it here (Wake Forest way), and nothing like Chicken Fried Steak; yes, I know (and like) Bojangles; and, No Texas Steakhouse is really not even from Texas. Good Texas BBQ at Q shack too; but, would like some down home Chicken and CFS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:56 PM

10 posts, read 39,876 times
My husband and I just moved here from Texas too and I miss Babe's too! That pot roast and those biscuits and that sweet creamed corn. Soo good! Havent found anything like it here so far, I think us Texans need to open a Babe's franchise!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:29 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
That sounds great. I love family style places.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdog View Post
In Dallas/Ft Worth we had a good down home Fried Chicken and Chicken Fried Steak place called Babe's. Everything was served family style, all you can eat.

I've found nothing like it here (Wake Forest way), and nothing like Chicken Fried Steak; yes, I know (and like) Bojangles; and, No Texas Steakhouse is really not even from Texas. Good Texas BBQ at Q shack too; but, would like some down home Chicken and CFS!
Ted's has Chicken Fried Chicken as a special once a week. But no Chicken Fried Steak. Hubby is picky and he said Ted's is good. But we don't cook this sort of food much so our standards might be lower than yours.

Edit: YOur comment about Texas Steakhouse reminded me of the hot sauce "Texas Pete". It's not from Texas... instead it's from Winston Salem NC. I guess Winston Salem Pete just does not sound as spicy or hot as Texas Pete.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:07 AM

155 posts, read 577,198 times
Top of the Hill in Chapel Hill has the best fried chicken I've ever had! It's not a "family" type of establishment, but it's a nice place for a good meal!

Old 08-24-2008, 11:29 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
Even though it's a chain, I've had chicken fried steak at Chili's, and it's actually pretty good. I had one just a few weeks ago - the breading was crisp, and the meat very tender. Very comparable to what I had growing up in Texas. The atmosphere may not be the same, but the food was good.

Lonestar Steakhouse, while they have decent steaks, are lousy at the chicken fried chicken. It tasted like a reheated frozen chicken patty.

I like the fried chicken at Smithfield's BBQ, too.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:48 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,612 times
Anyone find a place thats worthy of relating to Babe's? That place is awesome. Struggled to find really, really good fried chicken here. Time-Out & Smithfields are my faves so far, but not like Babe's.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:49 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Smithfields is my favorite for fried chicken too. The K&W Cafeteria at Cameron Village (Raleigh) has some great fried chicken, as well. Their veggies are pretty tasty and they make their own desserts!

As for "family style", McCalls in Clayton/Garner has a southern buffet, complete with fried chicken and all the fixins!

I don't really care for Golden Corral but they have a pot roast that is as good as mine!

Vicki

Old 03-06-2011, 07:50 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,117,261 times
The best fried chicken I've ever eaten is at Joyce's Restaurant in Fuquay Varina. I was a regular at Babe's when I lived in Dallas, and Joyce's is even better!!

Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinGracie View Post
The best fried chicken I've ever eaten is at Joyce's Restaurant in Fuquay Varina. I was a regular at Babe's when I lived in Dallas, and Joyce's is even better!!
I like Joyce's, but I've found that at certain shifts the place is great, others (presumably when she is not there?) the service is horrible and the buffet empty. When it's good, it's very good.

If you're into a bit of a cullinary road trip, head down to Fayetteville and try Chason's, or one of a few others (Sand Dollar, or something like that). Mostly focused on Pork and country cooking (Collards, black eye'd peas, butter beans), but really good for over-indulgence, and they have fried, baked or bbq chicken. Last time I went is probably 12 years, but I'm sure it's still good, and even if it's not, I'd imagine it's worth the trip for the adventure and the people watching.

Our North Carolina Menu | Fred Chason's Grandsons, Carolina's Famous Buffet (http://www.chasonsgrandsons.com/menu.php - broken link)

(Call before you haul, just to make sure they are still there.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary