Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 03:04 PM

245 posts, read 809,334 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I know this is a huge industry in this area. Is there anybody currently working for a CRO who would be willing to share some insight into current hiring trends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 03:25 PM

90 posts, read 237,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceili723 View Post
Hello,
I know this is a huge industry in this area. Is there anybody currently working for a CRO who would be willing to share some insight into current hiring trends?

FWIW, we have found this area to be huge for this type of work. CTA's and CRA's are in extremely high demand. Can you say "name your own price"?

Old 08-23-2008, 03:26 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Is a science background required to work for a CRO? What if one has a strong project management background but no science background?

Old 08-23-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Is a science background required to work for a CRO? What if one has a strong project management background but no science background?

Check in with Durham Tech. They have some short term programs that would combine nicely with your project management background.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:33 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Quote:
It may be possible to get in at CRA I - the pay is L O W for those, but it's good experience.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:42 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
low pay = no good. I'm in the telecom space right now. Can't do a backwards move in salary. I was just curious. I suppose one could always go back to school and get the science stuff in, but in the job postings I've seen in the past they tend to favor those with HEAVY science and science degrees, along with RNs, etc.

I have a friend in the field. She has her degree in microbiology. She works fulltime for one CRO and then freelance contracts on the side, secretly. She is raking in the $$$ and yet still complains that she's not making as much as she could if she were all (100%) contract.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
low pay = no good. I'm in the telecom space right now. Can't do a backwards move in salary. I was just curious. I suppose one could always go back to school and get the science stuff in, but in the job postings I've seen in the past they tend to favor those with HEAVY science and science degrees, along with RNs, etc.

I have a friend in the field. She has her degree in microbiology. She works fulltime for one CRO and then freelance contracts on the side, secretly. She is raking in the $$$ and yet still complains that she's not making as much as she could if she were all (100%) contract.
It's worth looking into ! I know that PPD has excellent training (I don't work for them) but they also have you sign a contract - a lot of people leave, but the going thought is that it's a good training ground. Quintiles and Kendle are the other large CROs in the area, and there are smaller ones too (INC, Constella (or maybe Consella), I3).

Old 08-23-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
It may be possible to get in at CRA I - the pay is L O W for those, but it's good experience.

What do you consider low? The CRA I positions I am aware of pay in the $50k's. The CTA's pay in the $40k's. That seems good to me for a start.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungHD View Post
What do you consider low? The CRA I positions I am aware of pay in the $50k's. The CTA's pay in the $40k's. That seems good to me for a start.
Oh my! My company (which I don't want to reveal) starts CRA I at around 20K less, I'm told...

(lottamoxie...never mind!)

Old 08-23-2008, 05:28 PM

71 posts, read 217,215 times
Quote:

Have you thought about Data Management? The requirement for a science/medical background is not as strong, and project management skills are needed just as much as in Clinical Ops. If you have any programming or IT experience from the telecom industry, that would be even better. Non-managerial salaries run 40-80K. Please send me a DM if you have any more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary