Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 AM

183 posts, read 671,740 times

Advertisements

You came into the forum asking a question and for help, and yet when it's offered and disagrees with your original post, you discount it. It's even more eye-opening when it's well known real estate agents on this forum that are offering the advice. If you were just looking for people to agree with you, then why ask the question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 08:43 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc4us View Post
Homes are sitting for many months and are not selling, there is a huge over supply especially in the price points that I'm looking in.

I hear many ridiculous reasons why homes are not selling, but the fact is they are not selling they are sitting unless they are priced for the current market.

Maybe prices did not run up like Fla. or Calif, but I see many homes that have doubled in price in the last 8 to 10 years thats appreciation well above inflation for the same period.

I'm a buyer, not a player and I'm probably as strong a buyer as you can get in the current market.

It's funny to me that you would even go there, but I guess that is the issue I have with the whole "buyers agent" thing in the first place it seems to protect many weaker agents.

I'd rather deal directly with a listing agent any day of the week!
What's your issue with buyer's agents?

From what you have written so far, it would appear you are somebody who could really benefit from one.

I don't know why you prefer dealing directly with the lisitng agent. They would likely have even less tolerance for your verbal offer approach.

Good luck either way. It sounds like you are going to need it.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 AM

28 posts, read 52,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't think anybody here is telling you not to look for the best deal you can get.

I think they are commenting on how you plan to find that deal. In my eyes your shotgun approach doesn't make much sense. You can find a deal just as easily by finding a house you really like, researching its market value and submitting your offer in writing. To me that is a lot easier than throwing a bunch of empty verbal offers around that you will need to clarify through a written offer anyway. You can feel out buyers with your written offer. To me making verbal offers just confuses the situation because every aspect of an offer can't be adequately covered verbally.

I think you have received some sound advice here already about why verbal offers aren't the best tactic to finding the best deal.
Your entitled to your opinion, but chances are very good that I have bought and sold many more homes than you have. Every one has different paradigms in life based upon personal experience. I had a real estate license in New York but I made more money investing in than selling real estate.

What you call empty verbal offers I call negotiations, and in NY that is the way it's done every day of the week. You only go into contract when you have a meeting of the minds, you do not even put "earnest money" down with your initial offer.

I do a full analysis of every property I make an offer on and never make blind offers, the only thing that needs to be covered on a verbal offer is price, we have contracts to cover the rest when there is a meeting of the minds,

I'm not making empty offers I'm shopping, I would never buy a car for full price or the first or even second counter why can't i shoot prices on a home?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 AM

28 posts, read 52,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What's your issue with buyer's agents?

From what you have written so far, it would appear you are somebody who could really benefit from one.

I don't know why you prefer dealing directly with the listing agent. They would likely have even less tolerance for your verbal offer approach.

Good luck either way. It sounds like you are going to need it.
I have no issue with buyers agents if they do there job properly I think they can earn a commission and some can be extremely useful.

I do however feel that the way things are done in NC protects weak part time and many unprofessional "buyers agents".

Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 AM

137 posts, read 552,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
It's even more eye-opening when it's well known real estate agents on this forum that are offering the advice.
That is the problem! Most of the answers come from real estate agents. That is only one perspective. The real estate agents generally have one agenda, and one agenda only, GET PAID. And the only way to get to that point is for the deal to close. They really do not care about weather a buyer is adequately protected or not. In fact, regardless of weather an agent tells you that they are a "Sellers" agent or a "Buyers" agent, the payment is coming form the same place, therefore the more tied up a Buyer is, the better for the Agent, (regardless of Buyer or Seller.) That is the mantra of most agents, "Close the deal!"

Buyers that execute the offer to purchase contract without a legal review are playing with fire. And, the real estate agents know it!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Your entitled to your opinion, but chances are very good that I have bought and sold many more homes than you have.
That may be true, but chances are I've bought at least one more home than you have here in NC, and at this point that is what really counts since you are talking about how purchases are made here in the Triangle and not somewhere else in the US.

I'm from NJ and RE transactions there are handeld very differently than they are here in NC. In NJ they usually include a 3 day attorney review or "cooling off period" during which time the buyer can walk away from the deal and give no reason at all. That is NJ and that is fine. But if you are expecting to find the same practice in NC you will be disappointed. How things are done in another state while interesting are in fact irrelevant.

Nobody is telling you to pay list price. Of course you should negotiate. However, around here negotiations are done in writing and there is more to negotiations than just price. That is the advice you have been given and it is accurate whether you or Mr. Cody trust it or not.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 08-26-2008 at 09:21 AM..

Old 08-26-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyhopkins View Post
That is the problem! Most of the answers come from real estate agents. That is only one perspective. The real estate agents generally have one agenda, and one agenda only, GET PAID. And the only way to get to that point is for the deal to close. They really do not care about weather a buyer is adequately protected or not.
You couldn't possibly be more wrong. If they didn't care whether or not the buyer was protected or not, and were doing their buyers wrong, then they wouldn't be getting repeat business and therefore wouldn't GET PAID, as you put it. Word of mouth is one of the best advertisements a realtor has, and the flip side is that it can also be the worst.

What is wrong with an answer about real estate coming from a real estate agent? Would you want legal advice from the guy that works at Blockbuster? That makes no sense. To quote Tommy Boy, "I could get a good look at a t-bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's *expletive*, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it".

Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Your entitled to your opinion, but chances are very good that I have bought and sold many more homes than you have. Every one has different paradigms in life based upon personal experience. I had a real estate license in New York but I made more money investing in than selling real estate.

What you call empty verbal offers I call negotiations, and in NY that is the way it's done every day of the week. You only go into contract when you have a meeting of the minds, you do not even put "earnest money" down with your initial offer.

I do a full analysis of every property I make an offer on and never make blind offers, the only thing that needs to be covered on a verbal offer is price, we have contracts to cover the rest when there is a meeting of the minds,

I'm not making empty offers I'm shopping, I would never buy a car for full price or the first or even second counter why can't i shoot prices on a home?
Again, if you're just looking for "yes" people, why did you ask for advice?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:23 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
Homes are sitting for many months and are not selling, there is a huge over supply especially in the price points that I'm looking in.

I hear many ridiculous reasons why homes are not selling, but the fact is they are not selling they are sitting unless they are priced for the current market.

Maybe prices did not run up like Fla. or Calif, but I see many homes that have doubled in price in the last 8 to 10 years thats appreciation well above inflation for the same period.

I'm a buyer, not a player and I'm probably as strong a buyer as you can get in the current market.

It's funny to me that you would even go there, but I guess that is the issue I have with the whole "buyers agent" thing in the first place it seems to protect many weaker agents.

I'm fairly familiar with the RE market in Cary (I'm not exactly sure where you're looking) but for the most part it's taken about 15 years for prices to double. A good example would be the Weatherstone subdivision where homes sold in the early to mid 90's for mid to high 200's and are now selling for the mid to high 400's (with a few exceptions). Most homes have yet to double in value 15 years or so later.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:27 AM

43,294 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:

To make that claim, you must be a cash buyer with a letter from your bank substantiating that fact, and I congratulate you on that wherewithal.

I "go there" because bold claims of financial ability are, to coin a phrase, "a dime a dozen."
Almost all Buyers in the current market are strong Buyers, since the mortgage kerfuffles have washed out most folks who shouldn't be buying, and the general public is aware that there is little easy money available.

Multiple ethical and skilled listing agents will tell you, "Let's get it in writing," or they are not doing their job.
It would appear that you prefer to bottom fish for weak agents.
I wish you good luck in your home search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary