Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:10 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,304 times

Advertisements

newsobserver.com | State court to hear year-round school case (http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/1196029.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 PM

15 posts, read 76,711 times
I read the article but how do the year round schools accommodate more students? Do they cycle different students off at different times of the year instead of the traditional Summer break? Or do they keep the students in class all year round. The thought of depriving kids their Summer vacations is appauling to me. It would be like robbing them of a vital part of their childhood. It sounds like it is not too popular with the parents if they are pulling their children out of the school district and placing them in others with traditional Summer breaks.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 PM

331 posts, read 1,310,887 times
In California, year round schools have tracks. Each had its own schedule so that they all werent at the school at the same time...2 months on, 1 month off....no more 3 months off in the summer. My daughter went to year round school throgh elementary school and I liked it because 3 months off was too much for most of the kids...they get bored. It is a change that takes getting used to. With the schools being so overcrowded, I think more schools will be going to year round.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 PM

297 posts, read 740,320 times
Jamescf - use the search function to look up the various threads on this topic and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about every side of the YR argument.

Quote:
It sounds like it is not too popular with the parents if they are pulling their children out of the school district and placing them in others with traditional Summer breaks.
I would suggest qualifying your statement with "not too popular with some of the parents" as there are quite a few families with students enrolled in YR schools who make no noise at all.

It's such a personal matter - I'm glad it's going to the Supreme Court. Let the case be heard and some decision reached and then, wherever the chips fall, may they lay there in peace.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:32 PM

847 posts, read 3,521,883 times
James, some year-round schools accommodate more students via tracks. Others serve the same number of children but operate on the alternative year-round schedule (YR schools in Durham).

Old 08-28-2008, 12:30 PM

65 posts, read 174,556 times
Default Great news!

Year round schools are great for the people that want them, but they should be voluntary. For many families they just don't work. Plus track-out care is much more expensive than summer programs.

I'm so glad that this issue is going to be settled for good.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:18 PM

This is the statement of the article that I was referring to:

"More than 90 percent of parents gave consent, but still, many year-round schools had empty seats and several traditional-calendar schools became overcrowded."

I hope this qualifies my statement.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 PM

Thanks to all who replied to clarify this. We don't have any year round schools in upstate NY that I am aware of. Apparently this can be a controversial subject.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:01 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamescf View Post
Thanks to all who replied to clarify this. We don't have any year round schools in upstate NY that I am aware of. Apparently this can be a controversial subject.
My daughter is in year round school, there are 4 tracks and 3 are in at any given time, thus more students can attend the school. My daughter is in school 9 weeks on 3 weeks off. Two of the tracks have 4 weeks off during the summer (track 1 and 4). My daughter is track 4, so not only does she have 4 weeks in july, but she also ends up with 5 weeks off (2 weeks at christmas as the whole school is closed and then her 3 week track out period is in january). For us, it is the norm, and we like it. Less time for the kids to fight during a long summer break. We go to the pool after school, or during her track out. We can take vacation in the off season (like disney in october), so it definitely has some pluses.

Leigh

Old 08-28-2008, 08:11 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Default Just a thought

I read that 2000 students opted out of year round this year. Isn't that kind of a drop in the bucket? So if the State Supreme Court rules in favor of these 2000 students do these families thing that the district will convert there local school back into a traditional calendar? If the majority of parents are voting in favor of year round schools (sounds like they are currently voting with their feet), then won't Wake leave the majority at year rounds. And just ship these 2000 kids across the district to some traditional calendar. Which probably means longer bus roads and possibly a school that doesn't perform as well.

Is it more than 2000 students who are against year round schools and I'm just reading this wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary