Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'm not trying to be rude, but why do we need 9 more people on public assistance here who've never paid a dime into it? The state budget is in big deficit as are all the social services budgets, and can't properly care for the people who ALREADY live here who've at least paid a little bit into the system.

Why did you pick Raleigh? I seriously doubt you'd find a house as big as you're looking for on Section 8, anyway.
Probably true.

My late Mom was in an NYC project for her last few years.

She had worked all her life until becoming disabled. Luckily my aunt worked for the NYC Housing Authority and helped her find a place for the disabled that had openings.

Raleigh's not a nice place to live if you are low income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:49 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Just a passing thought, but I wonder if we are being put on by the two postings: one is a well-paid upscale Internet guru guy, white, and the other a Section 8, mother of 8, black...the contrast between the two, and the posted responses would make a great social study....just thinking out loud...what do you think? Are we being played with, a bit....?

Old 01-06-2009, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,395 times
Default Only because you are a Met Fan!

I too am from NY...Manhattan more specifically...I lived in Long Beachas well as the Hamptons during the summer...It all depends on what you are looking for. Most move down here due to the cost of living...You can certainly find an apartment down here in you budget. Do yourself a favor and get an Apt in NORTH RALEIGH...It is a bit nicer than most areas...and the prices are def fair. Living in downtown isn't what you think it might be! Hedingham is also an option...I say that because as far as location is concerned, it might be the best around. Close to all Hwy's and close to downtown. No matter what you do...6 MONTHS ONLY! Then you can figure out what area you really like and go from there! Good Luck and LETS GO METS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 02:02 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just a passing thought, but I wonder if we are being put on by the two postings: one is a well-paid upscale Internet guru guy, white, and the other a Section 8, mother of 8, black...the contrast between the two, and the posted responses would make a great social study....just thinking out loud...what do you think? Are we being played with, a bit....?
I wondered a bit, too, about that second one, especially since it was the poster's first post ever. I didn't notice the "black", actually, but I wondered if I'd fallen for a troll.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I wondered a bit, too, about that second one, especially since it was the poster's first post ever. I didn't notice the "black", actually, but I wondered if I'd fallen for a troll.
Could be.

I was wondering how a large family on Section 8 could afford to come here from Northern CA by air and then probably buy a vehicle.

I know I couldn't afford the tickets and a mover.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 PM

4 posts, read 4,637 times
Default Don't hate, congratulate

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. You should not respond if you haven't a clue about me or my situation. I provided for myself and my children. Don't be bitter because you don't have Section 8. I got lucky with mine and besides the economy is bad and I have no control over what is happening in the world. All I can do is accept it and join in. Please don't respond with your negativity here thank you for nothing. I happen to be a Medical Student with a good career behind me so don't hate the player, hate the game.
Quote:
I'm not trying to be rude, but why do we need 9 more people on public assistance here who've never paid a dime into it? The state budget is in big deficit as are all the social services budgets, and can't properly care for the people who ALREADY live here who've at least paid a little bit into the system.

Why did you pick Raleigh? I seriously doubt you'd find a house as big as you're looking for on Section 8, anyway.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 PM

Default Credit Systems

Thank you, would you happen to know how the credit systems are out there. That is one of my biggest issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndeleducation View Post
I too am from NY...Manhattan more specifically...I lived in Long Beachas well as the Hamptons during the summer...It all depends on what you are looking for. Most move down here due to the cost of living...You can certainly find an apartment down here in you budget. Do yourself a favor and get an Apt in NORTH RALEIGH...It is a bit nicer than most areas...and the prices are def fair. Living in downtown isn't what you think it might be! Hedingham is also an option...I say that because as far as location is concerned, it might be the best around. Close to all Hwy's and close to downtown. No matter what you do...6 MONTHS ONLY! Then you can figure out what area you really like and go from there! Good Luck and LETS GO METS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 PM

Default Budgeting your weekly and monthly expenses

It is a very hard thing to do when I have such a large family. If you actually think about this it will make a lot of since. First off, all the meals that one would spend within a week you save all that and that alone is probably about $100-$150. So instead of spending that you put it aside and save, save, save. You do that with any expense and see how much you save in a months time, and you will save so much it will make you wonder why you never done it before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Could be.

I was wondering how a large family on Section 8 could afford to come here from Northern CA by air and then probably buy a vehicle.

I know I couldn't afford the tickets and a mover.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimplez_delight View Post
It is a very hard thing to do when I have such a large family. If you actually think about this it will make a lot of since. First off, all the meals that one would spend within a week you save all that and that alone is probably about $100-$150. So instead of spending that you put it aside and save, save, save. You do that with any expense and see how much you save in a months time, and you will save so much it will make you wonder why you never done it before.
If you can transfer your voucher here, you might find a place on Craigslist, but it may not be easy to find something in good shape in a safe area.

Be aware, there is nearly no public transit here like BART or even a decent bus system serving most areas.

Have you been here to see if it's really a step up? Many people think the streets are paved with gold in the Triangle. This only works if you can command a high salary here. Many jobs pay a whole lot less than in CA.

For example, a corrections officer starts at $70K in CA. Try $24K in NC.

We live in a modest apt in a diverse, sort of marginal (but safe) part of North Raleigh but have modest expenses and are OK.

Be sure you have your facts collected before you let your home and benefits go. The safety net here has giant holes.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary