Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 13,669 times

Advertisements

hi,
i think that when some people go to look for a home they do not want a pool and therefore that lowers the amount of people looking at your home, but to me i would love to have a pool and i would buy a house with a nice pool. i think that it depends on what the pool looks like and how well it is kept up.
i pray that i was some help to you. i just thought that i would give you my opinion.
have a wonderful day!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:45 PM

30 posts, read 107,810 times
We recently put in a pool and don't plan to move for a very long time. I know there is a certain group that won't look at a house with a pool, however after having one, I can't imagine buying a house without one now. I guess to each his own.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:50 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
It would be interesting to know how appraisers
factor in a nice pool.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:02 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
It would be interesting to know how appraisers
factor in a nice pool.
Just about how this thread does.
No value to very little value to negative value.
Pools are desirable to a minimal market segment.

Of course, that is dependent on the definition of a "nice pool."

Fiberglass or gunite help.
Vinyl liners make the pool a negative.

Is the pool integrated into the outdoor living lifestyle, with a kitchen/grill/eating area, outside shower and easily accessible changing shelter, preferably with a potty?
Or will wet kids parade through mud into the house in search of drinks and bathroom?

I like the comparison of a pool to a car, except most cars appeal to broader buyer groups.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:44 PM
otd

3 posts, read 6,063 times
I disagree some what. I have a pool in my home that I just put in last year and love it. An in ground pool is attractive to the upper end buyer and is a luxary to have. If your home fits that class I would not hesitate. Most of our buyers are from the north east and they all have pools.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:10 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
We are selling within the next year so I will let you know
what buyers think of our pool. It is the backyard oasis
type and I hope we recoup some of the expense of building it.
Even if we don't it was worth it ..all those fun family get togethers
and cookouts.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I've read a few reports on here about how having a pool, lowers your "pool" of potential buyers. Some have even went as far as stating it devalues a home. I'm at a loss here trying to figure this one out. I know it is a liability, a bit of operating expense and so on. However, as I meet new friends I have been to a few homes that have pools. These people LOVE their pools and I can't help feel some envy. The pool is their personal backyard escape and oasis and all have had no regrets putting the pool in. Furthermore, their backyards are beautiful, with huge stamped concrete walkways, waterfalls, barbecue pitts and so on. How can this take away from the selling ability or value of their home?

And if this is not enough of an argument, you all have beautiful, "pro-pool" weather about 7-8 months a year. Other places in the US have a much higher ratio of homes with pools and they only get 4-6 months.

So, does putting in a nice attractive pool really cut the pool of buyers and devalue a home here?
We had a beautiful pool in fL that was screened in but a lot of young couples who have very young children are afraid to have a pool. So many accidents. It is also costly to heat and to keep up with. When we moved to NC hubby and I said no more pools. Our Electric Bill in FL when heating the pool ran $400 a month and it wasn't much better the rest of the year since you should run a pool several hours a day. I think we had lost a few buyers because of the pool. Hubby misses it but not the electric bill.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:01 PM

58 posts, read 360,780 times
We added a pool in our home, an d I understand that our enjoyment is purely subjective. However, I have to chime in on the cost statements. Our electric (to run the pump) is $75 more per month during the season. Our season (to date) is April through ed of October (you could go longer if you were willing to heat the pool). We do all of our own pool maintenance. We have computers and pool sweeps that do everything (suck up the leaves, generate chlorine) except for empty the skimmer baskets daily, and check chemical levels to see if something is wrong. During the peak of leaf season I walk around with a skimmer and "help", but that is really it. Everything is so sutomated these days that there really isn't much upkeep. Less than an hour a week. I realize there are lots of reasons folks avoid pools. But cost and time shouldn't be high on the list... at least if you are looking at pools recently built.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:50 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otd View Post
I disagree some what. I have a pool in my home that I just put in last year and love it. An in ground pool is attractive to the upper end buyer and is a luxary to have. If your home fits that class I would not hesitate. Most of our buyers are from the north east and they all have pools.
I will agree to some extent: an inground pool with lush landscaping IS desirable to some in the higher price ranges.

For example...an appraiser may give no value to a pool located in the backyard of a house that is listed at $200,000 but he may give quite a bit more value to an inground pool in the backyard of a million dollar property!

However, you will NEVER get 100% back of the price you pay. Again...if it is something you want...get it. You can't live your life in your home always concerned about the re sale value. It is your HOME.

Vicki

Old 09-14-2008, 10:29 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I will agree to some extent: an inground pool with lush landscaping IS desirable to some in the higher price ranges.

For example...an appraiser may give no value to a pool located in the backyard of a house that is listed at $200,000 but he may give quite a bit more value to an inground pool in the backyard of a million dollar property!

However, you will NEVER get 100% back of the price you pay. Again...if it is something you want...get it. You can't live your life in your home always concerned about the re sale value. It is your HOME.

Vicki
Vicki, I completely agree with this analogy and know it to be true, but again, it is the why that I don't understand. To me, a backyard retreat and oasis, even though not appealing to some, still has to be appealing to many. This is living we are talking about. I'm about to put $40,000 into my backyard and it will be one hell of an escape. I personally can't think why anyone else would not want the same. You get off work, are hot, tired and hungry. You go out back take a swim, cool off, fire up the barbecue, have a few drinks and dinner. In the winter there is a stone fire pit patio and barbecue. Maybe after I live here for a while longer, I'll understand it better.

Oh, I used google sattelite to search Cary neighborhoods. you would be surprised that many HOA with pools have many homes with private pools. I found this sort of shocking. The HOA across from me has two pool complexes and there are at least 40 private pools in that neighborhood. About 1 in 20 homes still have their own pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary