Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:48 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
My car has reached the point where I can no longer justify sinking any more money into it.

The need for a new water pump is the straw that broke the camel's back. Trust me, even if I pay for a new water pump to keep me going there are at least $1,200 worth of other repairs looming (per my very reputable mechanic). So I am now weighing my options and seriously considering buying a "new to me" used car.

My budget is tight (under $10K) and I'm leaning towards getting something like a used Toyota corolla or Honda civic.

Anybody have a recommendation on a good local used car sales places here in the Triangle? Any places to avoid? How's the local CarMax? I'm in Raleigh but am open to going to dealers in other towns. I will be scouring Craig’s list as well.

BTW, if anybody has first hand reviews or recommendations on other smaller cars that they like (maybe a ford focus?) I'm all ears.

Thanks!

~ NRG

Stick to craigslist. I don't like to buy from dealers. To me, they are a big rip-off! I know, my father is one. If you know the basics, you can buy from a private owner and pay thousands less. Use Kbb.com to check prices. I think you choices of cars are great choices too. We have Hondas in our family and they have been nothing but reliable and great on gas. (Civic, CRV) Don't buy new either, once you pull it off the lot, the value drops $3K. It's better to buy something a year or two old. You can also buy a warranty on your own if you're worried about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 07:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
NRG, what about a VW Beetle? I've seen a few on craigslist in your price range. Some under 10K & a couple of convertibles a little over your range.

We love our Beetle... bought it used from a private owner in Portland. And they are suppose to be "easy" to convert to electric if you ever want to go that route. Of course, finding the right team of people to help with this has been a bit tricky. But we are getting pretty good gas mileage in the mean time.

Good luck!
Beetle is known for clutch and electrical issues. Now, if you can find a real Beetle from the 60's - 70's, you got one fun little gas saver.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:11 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,666 times
My boyfriend had a great experience with CarMax on Glenwood Avenue in Raleigh. He shopped around and the CarMax was really a no pressure/great selection place. I would check them out. I would also check the craigslist ads, have your mechanic look over the car before purchasing. You could also check out new car dealers that have demo/trade in's on their lots as well. Good Luck

Old 09-10-2008, 07:38 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
Several people in my family have used Auto Finders in Durham and have been very happy. My mom has used them multiple times over the years. Autofinders

I can't say anything good about any of the brand-affiliated dealers I've dealt with around here.

Last edited by J_Lurk; 09-10-2008 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: fix link

Old 09-11-2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Several people in my family have used Auto Finders in Durham and have been very happy. My mom has used them multiple times over the years. Autofinders

I can't say anything good about any of the brand-affiliated dealers I've dealt with around here.
Saturn of Raleigh is owned by a devout Christian and operated very morally.

Unfortunately, most Saturns are now rebadged Opels. The Aura does have a good review this year and is Chevy based.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:01 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Beetle is known for clutch and electrical issues. Now, if you can find a real Beetle from the 60's - 70's, you got one fun little gas saver.
Hmmm.... we've been a Beetle owner for several years now and have not had any issues w/ either the clutch or electrical. None of my Beetle friends have had issues w/ these either.

There are currently some Vintage Beetles for sale on Craigslist. Had one in college. LOVED that car!!!! It's fun driving something that is older than you are. But now I would not want my children in a vintage beetle.... not with the the big SUVS on the roads here. To scary for me.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:10 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,037 times
NRG how far is your commute to work?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/autumngal_photo/horse.jpg (broken link)

Seriously, I would prefer to buy a used car from the dealers. Not the used car places. Especially after these storms and flooding that occurred. And also as previously mentioned, the warranty. With the cars not flying out the doors these days I would trust a Car dealer over a 2nd hand car dealer more in this economy. They need repeat customers and customers to spread the word about them in a positive way.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, most Saturns are now rebadged Opels.
And that, my friend, will be what saves them. Saturns have always been homely, until they started to use the Opel designs.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:39 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
When I first started buying base cars, they were totally base.
I can remember going to the Chevy dealer with my dad back in late 1975 to buy a new Chevette. The car had no radio and no back seat. Those are the only 2 options that he ordered . . . an AM radio and a back seat (he had 4 kids)

Old 09-11-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I can remember going to the Chevy dealer with my dad back in late 1975 to buy a new Chevette. The car had no radio and no back seat. Those are the only 2 options that he ordered . . . an AM radio and a back seat (he had 4 kids)
I bought a Chevette like that new in 1984.

Not even a glove compartment door in the base trim line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary