Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Raleigh North Carolina job market, seeking; job market information, job search strategies, non-local job opportunities, employment opportunities Charlotte, North Carolina employment

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:06 AM

259 posts, read 1,041,961 times

Advertisements

Do you happen the remember the website addresses? I did check First Citizens but it took me to a job link called cb campus.com that had a lot of jobs from emplyment agencies. And for Coastal Federal and RTP Federal Credit Union I only saw one job and it was not one I would quality for. Could I be looking at a different website for these companies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to NC View Post
I just did a search and found these that you easily qualify for and they all pay more than you are trying to suggest:

Moderator cut: removed use direct message
I am sorry, but there are an almost unlimited number of jobs available. It seems that you have already convinced yourself of why you will not get a job. That may be the reason why you don't get any. Attitude is everything. Any decent interviewer will see how serious someone is about actually wanting the job. If they see doubt or lack of confidence, you won't get the job. I highly suggest interview training for you. You need to make sure you are presenting yourself well. I have a feeling the problem lies in the presentation.

Last edited by autumngal; 09-14-2008 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 09:13 AM

31 posts, read 66,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
Do you happen the remember the website addresses? I did check First Citizens but it took me to a job link called cb campus.com that had a lot of jobs from emplyment agencies. And for Coastal Federal and RTP Federal Credit Union I only saw one job and it was not one I would quality for. Could I be looking at a different website for these companies?

I don't think it is allowed to post the website for jobs. Just google them and they will pop up. That's how I found them. Good luck. They are there and available. I highly suggest you check out Target, Kohl's, Home Depot, Lowe's, Harris Teeter and more for a temporary job. These places will hire anyone who still has a pulse. This will allow you time to find the "right" permanent job.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:39 AM

I'd like to thank everyone for their advise, but I know something is not right and it can't possibly be my resume or cover letter in every case. I really don't believe a resume that's worked for a number of different jobs in 2 different states all of a sudden doesn't work in NC. If you really read carefully to what I've said you would have realized that it's not my resume (although I am going to re-write it and give it another month or so.) Something is just not right, and remember I've sent out over 80 resumes and only a handful of responses, and only 2 interviews. Believe me I've been interviewing for years and it's not something I've said, or the way I dress. Or maybe it is something I've said. I mentioned that I was from another state and recently relocated to NC. I'm quite capably and wise enough to read between the lines and although the peope in this state are so very kind and that was the predominate reason I moved to NC, it's a whole different ball game in the employment arena.

I think we've said about all we can say concerning this Thread so maybe it's time to move on to different subjects on this forum. Again I thank you all for your responses and advice.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:10 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Try the Office of State Personnel site for administrative jobs in state agencies.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:40 PM

Hi Saturnfan,

Yes, I have been checking that website out and I have mailed some resumes off to them. There's also another one that I use joblinkcc.com, but it's not the best. By now I bet I've tried all of them and I keep doing it daily up until 10PM. It really is a fulltime job. In my cover leter I always mention the name of the company in bold letters if they include the name, so I have to do some revisions on each cover letter I send out. When I get a job it will all be worth the effort!

Old 09-14-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
Hi Saturnfan,

Yes, I have been checking that website out and I have mailed some resumes off to them. There's also another one that I use joblinkcc.com, but it's not the best. By now I bet I've tried all of them and I keep doing it daily up until 10PM. It really is a fulltime job. In my cover leter I always mention the name of the company in bold letters if they include the name, so I have to do some revisions on each cover letter I send out. When I get a job it will all be worth the effort!
The state can be very slow in recruitment. My son and daughter both work for NC.

Sometimes your best bet is to get in the state at any level and transfer upward after a year or so of good performance in your first job.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:50 PM

528 posts, read 1,463,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to NC View Post
Art Lover. I am sorry to hear of your troubles. I does seem like you are convincing yourself that you cannot find work here, which may be part of the problem. A positive can do attitude is a must. Adaption is key. Sometimes you need to take something you do not want in order to work your way up to what you do want. There are a lot of college graduates here that start at entry level jobs ($28,000 to $35,000) and then move up. You mention call centers and other banks jobs. State Employees Credit Union has a great program and they start at $28,000 to $30,000. RTP Federal Credit Union starts at $30,000. Coastal Federal Credit Union starts at $31,000. Fidelity Banks starts at $32,000. First Citizens starts in the low to mid $30's. There are plenty available. These companies are always hiring and cannot get people fast enough. The list goes on and on. I have children that have moved from out of state and got these jobs quickly. Most people won't (can't) take a job paying around $30,000. For the ones that can, it is a great way to get in a good company. Then you work your way up to the $40's fairly quickly.

Buck up soldier. Think positive. Be aggressive. Take the bull by the horns. You CAN do this. You WILL do this. The future is yours. Make it what you want. Do not take no for an answer.
Your positive attitude ROCKS and is also a great point. I love it!

ArtLover, I know it's easier said than done, but I also know there's something to be said for the image you portray and perhaps rejection has gotten a hold of you. In fact, it might not be the answer -- maybe it's a combination of things. I know, probably not what you want to hear, but the point 3 to NC makes is still right on.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:20 PM

335 posts, read 801,151 times
Moderator cut: use direct message please
Moderator cut: removed And I agree with others who have posted here, keep a positive attitude and if you really feel like your out-of-state past is hurting your chances of employment, then by all means necessary, minimize that on your resume and during interviews. The Raleigh area is full of transplants who found work here, so if they did it, you can too! Don't inadvertently make that a stumbling block, turn it into a positive instead.

Hope to see a good update from you soon.

Last edited by autumngal; 09-15-2008 at 08:01 AM..

Old 09-15-2008, 01:42 AM

The Sheetz gas station near RDU pays $8.50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary