Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:19 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,086 times

Advertisements

Call me naive if you like, but I'm confused about Thai food in and around Cary. I know many Asian business people like to open multiple businesses under multiples names, but offer the same business model. I'm beginning to think Thai food in this area has met this fate?

My observations are that all the "Thai" establishments all serve an overall Asian menu, with a Thai section. All the menus are priced the same and have similar offerings. All these establishments open at the same hours, close between lunch and dinner and reopen at the same time. Oh, and all their food is what I would rate as a C to a C-, not that great and not authentic. I want a real Thai food place, run by real Thai people, who make real Thai food? I don't care if it is a hole in the wall, off the beaten path place, as long as it is authentic!?! Any suggestions? Yes, I read past threads before posting this and have tried many of the recommended places. Sorry, but so far they all were not great by my standards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 12:58 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Have you been to any of the Thai places in Raleigh yet? My wife and I like Sawasdee Thai Restaurant.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:29 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Call me naive if you like, but I'm confused about Thai food in and around Cary. I know many Asian business people like to open multiple businesses under multiples names, but offer the same business model. I'm beginning to think Thai food in this area has met this fate?

My observations are that all the "Thai" establishments all serve an overall Asian menu, with a Thai section. All the menus are priced the same and have similar offerings. All these establishments open at the same hours, close between lunch and dinner and reopen at the same time. Oh, and all their food is what I would rate as a C to a C-, not that great and not authentic. I want a real Thai food place, run by real Thai people, who make real Thai food? I don't care if it is a hole in the wall, off the beaten path place, as long as it is authentic!?! Any suggestions? Yes, I read past threads before posting this and have tried many of the recommended places. Sorry, but so far they all were not great by my standards
Go to Thailand! That's the ONLY way to get authentic Thai food. My aunt just returned from a trip there and she told me how the food is great and so different from the americanized thai food we find here in the U.S.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:51 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Go to Thailand! That's the ONLY way to get authentic Thai food. My aunt just returned from a trip there and she told me how the food is great and so different from the americanized thai food we find here in the U.S.
LOL, funny you mention this, my wife and I were just discussing this. We have been to Thailand many times and yes the food is a highlight of our trips there. I guess I must be spoiled as in the Seattle area, the Thai food was a page right out of Thailand itself and usually always ran by a Thai family from Thailand. They seem to be more chain run here. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Let me know when you find a good Panang curry

Old 09-16-2008, 02:15 PM

110 posts, read 455,894 times
Yes Thai food has become the norm in most Asian restaurants. There are several authentic places in Raleigh and 1 in RTP. Taste of Thai and Thai Lana are both really good and are frequently visited by other Thais so you know it's good. Good Luck.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:10 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Let me know when you find a good Panang curry
I love the Panang curry at Sawasdee, the place NRG recommended above.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I went to Thaiphoon in Glenwood South the other night and had a nice dinner. Everyone in my party enjoyed their meals. However, I can't tell you if it's authentic or not. I just don't have enough experience to tell you the difference.
I asked them if they were a chain and they told me No. They said that they heard there were other restaurants in other states with the same name but that they were not affiliated. They then offered that they were a single restaurant operation. So, they probably aren't part of any assumed chain of restaurants in Cary.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:44 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
I love the Panang curry at Sawasdee, the place NRG recommended above.
Aw man! It's all the way up on Capital. It would take me over 30 minutes to get there.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:43 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Aw man! It's all the way up on Capital. It would take me over 30 minutes to get there.
I live in Zebulon. It takes me 30 minutes to get there as well. It's worth it for good Thai food!

Of course, you could always learn to make it yourself. It's not difficult. Mine doesn't taste just like the one in the restaurant, but it's pretty darn good. I even grew some Thai basil this year.

BTW, there's an Asian food market next to Sawasdee. It's where I get the ingredients for Thai cooking. (Forget the stuff in the regular grocery stores. It doesn't compare.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary