Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:15 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,299 times

Advertisements

I heard a rumor Broughton High is dropping the IB Programme due to low enrollment... has anybody heard this too??? If so, would this change the magnet status??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 05:04 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,262 times
That rumor has been around for awhile now. I have also heard the rumor that the IB program might be ditched altogether at all its schools.

Note: I haven't seen anything to substantiate it.

I also have heard the rumor that Broughton might lose magnet status just because they do not need to attract students to that particular school.

Again, just rumor mill - haven't heard anything this year and haven't seen anything in writing.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:24 AM

550 posts, read 1,486,872 times
God, I hope Broughton loses magnet status. Why do we want a bunch of kids to drive in from Cary and Wake Forest to attend class in trailers in the parking lot? Parking at Broughton is a huge problem, probably due to it's magnet status. IIRC, wake county doesn't provide transportation to magnet school kids unless that is their normally assigned school.

Anyway, most school districts use magnet status in lower income neighborhood schools to attract enough students to run advanced level and AP classes, so that they're available to poor kids too. Else, smart kids in low-income areas wouldn't have the opportunities available to them that suburban kids do. With all the yuppie spawn ITB these days, I don't think that's a problem at Broughton anymore.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,395 times
Default reply

It never was a problem at Broughton. Broughton has ALWAYS been the base school for the children of upper middle class and well to do families. Just look at the demographics of the surrounding feeder neighborhoods. Cameron Park, Old Glenwood, Hayes Barton, Country Club Hills, Budleigh, Five Points and the White Oak Road area plus Anderson Heights. I am not a yuppie or spawn. Thanks for painting so many with a wide brush. You do not know of which you speak.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:48 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,359 times
I've not heard that all IB programs will be scrapped, but I've heard of Broughton losing its magnet status before. One solution I've heard is moving the IB program to Millbrook High instead.

I'll never understand why in the world Broughton was made a magnet in the first place. Like Uncle Tupelo said, its always been the base school for the wealthy elite in Raleigh. Plus, they have a private foundation heavily funded by alums that raised $498,000 in 2007. That is separate from any funds raised by the PTA. Why on earth are we spending extra funds on this school when there are other high schools that are truly deserving of those funds?

Old 09-19-2008, 11:43 AM

A little information on the base attendence area for Broughton HS - seems they do pull from outside ITB - likely to help F&R numbers...... not sure if this supports the need for magnet status or not.... Also.. I think they do provide express bussing for Broughton (see below).

Growth Management Map (http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/cgi-bin/mapserver/Production/WCMapscript.pl?MainOption=FindNodes&NodeType=BASE& MagProg=&SchoolInfo=348+Broughton+High&ProgramTitl e=Base+Attendance+Area+(APPROVED)&MagName=&Calenda rYear=2008-2009 - broken link) - Broughton Base attendence area

Growth Management Map (http://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/cgi-bin/mapserver/Production/WCMapscript.pl?MainOption=FindNodes&NodeType=MAGX& MagProg=HMAGIBX&SchoolInfo=348+Broughton+High&Prog ramTitle=Magnet+Express+Busing+Transportation+Area +(APPROVED)&MagName=&CalendarYear=2008-2009 - broken link) - Magnet Express Busing Transportation Area

Old 09-19-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
It never was a problem at Broughton. Broughton has ALWAYS been the base school for the children of upper middle class and well to do families. Just look at the demographics of the surrounding feeder neighborhoods. Cameron Park, Old Glenwood, Hayes Barton, Country Club Hills, Budleigh, Five Points and the White Oak Road area plus Anderson Heights. I am not a yuppie or spawn. Thanks for painting so many with a wide brush. You do not know of which you speak.
Just wanted to say a lot of Broughton graduates lived outside the beltline during their high school years.. My BIL attended Broughton before Millbrook and Sanderson were even built (much closer than Broughton). My brother attended Broughton although he lived in N. Raleigh, the neighborhood now attends Leesville HS.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:21 PM

Default reply

Sanderson open in 1968 and Millbrook has been around since the 20 's or 30's. Just an FYI.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
Sanderson open in 1968 and Millbrook has been around since the 20 's or 30's. Just an FYI.
Thats right - my brother in law graduated from Broughton in 1967....

As far as Millbrook - I'm thinking more about the high school facility on Millbrook Road... Wasn't there a K-12 school near the site of the present Millbrook HS with a long and rich history in that area? Back when there was a Millbrook, NC??

Old 09-19-2008, 01:10 PM

Default reply

It may have been on the current sight of Millbrook Elementary which was a county school when I stated first grade in 1972. Broughton has long pulled from some area outside of old Raleigh. But in much smaller percentages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary