Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:25 AM

425 posts, read 1,257,264 times

Advertisements

Ok, my husband thinks that modular/mobile homes, at least built in the last 10 years or so, are actually built as good as site homes, and sometimes better. He thinks since most site built homes are not on a solid foundation, that puts them in the same category as modular/mobile. I have lived in a, "doublewide" with tie downs before in AZ and said that I really didn't ever want to live in one again. Should I be looking at modular/mobile as well as site built? We are looking into 200K or less, with at least .05 acre and not more than 30 minutes from RTP. Seems there are quite a few modular/mobile homes in this category. By the way, I have pretty much given up on my first hope/dream of finding a sweet house with a wrap around porch! Now I just want a house that isn't smack up against someone else; doesn't just look like a mobile home and that will stand the test of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 08:41 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,681 times
yes and no. First of all, there is a difference between a mobile home and modular home. A true modular home is built using the same construction standards as a stick/site built home. They are simply built in a factory and then transported to the homesite. It's believed that by being built in a climate controlled factory environment that they are more precisely built and thus, of a better quality and more energy efficient. An example of this would be on a site built home when it rains and there are climate changes that warp the wood, etc.

A mobile home is a different build standard totally. They typically are not considered a good investment because they depreciate in value over time and won't appreciate the way a site built or "real" modular home would.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:20 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times
I've always wondered about this, years ago the info on modulars was to link them with moble homes, guess that is not true anymore. But, does it not end up being just as expensive to buy modular, you have to purchase the land too. Or are modulars pretty inexpensive? I've always been frightened of them with regards to strong winds.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:34 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
Ok, my husband thinks that modular/mobile homes, at least built in the last 10 years or so, are actually built as good as site homes, and sometimes better. He thinks since most site built homes are not on a solid foundation, that puts them in the same category as modular/mobile. I have lived in a, "doublewide" with tie downs before in AZ and said that I really didn't ever want to live in one again. Should I be looking at modular/mobile as well as site built? We are looking into 200K or less, with at least .05 acre and not more than 30 minutes from RTP. Seems there are quite a few modular/mobile homes in this category. By the way, I have pretty much given up on my first hope/dream of finding a sweet house with a wrap around porch! Now I just want a house that isn't smack up against someone else; doesn't just look like a mobile home and that will stand the test of time.

Your husband is wrong. Put $200,000 into a 60's rancher on a nice lot before you ever consider a mobile/manufactured/HUD code home.
Even if you are happy while there, unfortunately, resale will killl you.

Modulars, being built to local codes, are a little better, but you are at a price point and in a location where your investment will be better placed in conventional homes.

FWIW, I spent 21 years in mobile and modular home production.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:18 AM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
Lolligrump;
Resale on modulars are horrible. Keep looking. I will help you find your dream home, okay??? You would prefer less than $200K, correct.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:50 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,624 times
Mike - Ok, I understand the depreciation on mobile homes (and I personally would not want to live in one in ANY tornado prone area), but I have seen some wonderful factory built homes - take a look at these they surely don't look factory built -- http://www.ritz-craft.com/tours_modular.cfm --. I do know that between the land and the factory built home it won't be any cheaper. Can you also explain why not a HUD code home. Thanks. Char

Old 02-08-2007, 11:33 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
New mobile homes are no longer available as a result of the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards Act of 1974. The last one was produced over 30 years ago.

Last edited by mm34b; 02-08-2007 at 11:46 AM..

Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,264 times
So, I guess the new doublewides that are being manufactured today are considered modular, mm34b? It's frustrating when you see beautiful pictures of the inside of a home, then scroll down to find that it's a mobile/modular. Thanks for all the input. I know I am on the right track. Don't worry, Lizardlips - I don't think we are buying either one.

Still confused about the site built and the desire to build most of them off the ground. Would think a foundation house would be more prone to handle high winds, etc.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:28 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
So, I guess the new doublewides that are being manufactured today are considered modular, mm34b?
No, they're manufactured homes.

The term "manufactured home" specifically refers to a home built entirely in a protected environment under a federal code set by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The Federal standards regulate; manufactured housing design, construction, strength, durability, transportability, fire resistance, energy efficiency and quality. The HUD Code also sets performance standards for the heating, plumbing, air-conditioning, thermal and electrical systems.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:59 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChar View Post
Mike - Ok, I understand the depreciation on mobile homes (and I personally would not want to live in one in ANY tornado prone area), but I have seen some wonderful factory built homes - take a look at these they surely don't look factory built -- http://www.ritz-craft.com/tours_modular.cfm --. I do know that between the land and the factory built home it won't be any cheaper. Can you also explain why not a HUD code home. Thanks. Char
HUD code depreciates, is not durable, too often uses proprietary components or goofy stuff instead of easily found conventional components, is built on a cambered steel frame instead of a flat surface, and the mechanicals are crammed in too tightly to be accessible or efficient.
And the market stigma and financing problems make it a very poor proposition to buy with any consideration of resale and recouping costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary