Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:01 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,952,363 times

Advertisements

How would I find out about the land a builder is using to put up a new development? I asked how come no trees? I was told by the sales office that the land use to be farm land...How do I know this is safe to put a home on? How do I find out what was produced on this land? Was it a sod farm? A potatoe farm? I have no idea how to find out? Is it safe to build on? I have so many questions, but they said that's all they know...hmmmm should I be concerned? Help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 09:11 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,675,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
How would I find out about the land a builder is using to put up a new development? I asked how come no trees? I was told by the sales office that the land use to be farm land...How do I know this is safe to put a home on? How do I find out what was produced on this land? Was it a sod farm? A potatoe farm? I have no idea how to find out? Is it safe to build on? I have so many questions, but they said that's all they know...hmmmm should I be concerned? Help...
What exactly are you looking for? If it were a toxic waste dump there would be required notice.....but for farm land? Ah....sure there could have been pesticide use...but well....it's farm land....what do you think they were growing on it?

Where is this development? Wake County? You could look at the originally parcel before it was subdivided....that may give you a few clues.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:14 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,304,636 times
Quote:
I don't see a reason to be concerned, but if you want to find out more you could always try contacting the local planning office and try to acquire additional information. Also, every new development has to file a erosion and sediment control plan. I'm not sure, but I beleive these plans may include previous land use information as well whcih the planning department may ne able to share with you.

Just curious, but what are your concerns? Building on old farms is fairly common here.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:47 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,952,363 times
Default concerns

Thanks for the responses, my concerns would be what pesticides were used, if any at all, if it were a flower field, cotton, etc...no big concerns, but if it was a sod farm, or another type of farm that required heavy pesticide usage, would the well water/water shed be safe? This is in wake county...maybe I am overeacting, but I just want to know that its safe...

Old 02-09-2007, 09:52 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,411,953 times
I could NEVER live in a neighborhood without big, mature trees...I'd avoid it no matter what used to be there.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:48 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,041,126 times
Builders in wake county definitely build on farms. There is a development going up near my house on part of a farm, dairy farm. The owners sold the back half of the farm. It is certainly easier for developers, very few trees to clear! It does seem relatively common to see.

Leigh

Old 02-10-2007, 07:07 AM

43,351 posts, read 77,219,919 times
Farming can be fairly intensive in use of chemicals, fetilizers and pesticides. some farmers had a favorite dumping spot or place to wash out equipment.
My only concern would be well water, which I would want to have tested routinely, if in a neighborhood with wells.

As far as having a home out in an old pasture, no worries here...

Old 02-10-2007, 09:41 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,675,147 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses, my concerns would be what pesticides were used, if any at all, if it were a flower field, cotton, etc...no big concerns, but if it was a sod farm, or another type of farm that required heavy pesticide usage, would the well water/water shed be safe? This is in wake county...maybe I am overeacting, but I just want to know that its safe...
They are building a subdivison with wells???

Old 02-10-2007, 11:58 AM

842 posts, read 3,231,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
They are building a subdivison with wells???
Yes...that happens. I know that in Holly Springs, subdivisions with less than 10 sites that aren't adjacent to existing water mains are allowed to use a community well. There is one such community planned on the extreme southern edge of the town ETJ.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:03 PM

579 posts, read 2,864,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
I could NEVER live in a neighborhood without big, mature trees...I'd avoid it no matter what used to be there.
You are so right. We bought new construction and I just didn't really give trees too much thought at the time. I didn't realize I'd miss them so much. I HATE my bare lot with the little charlie brown tree out front, it's pitiful! lol We are planning on moving sometime in the next year and trees are definitely on the non-negotiable must-haves list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary