Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:15 PM

65 posts, read 266,888 times

Advertisements

Go with Wachovia, their service is the best by far and when they change to Citi you will be with the most secure bank in the USA. They also have branches through out the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 03:30 PM

5 posts, read 10,670 times
Default Limits

I guess its a good time to go over the protection limits for various financial accounts. Being an advisor I have been asked this numerous times the last couple of weeks:
Bank CD : 100K per account.
Money Markets: Previously not covered but recently brought under the bail out umbrella. This includes taxable and tax free money markets.
Cash in a broker/dealer: 1 million individual. 2 million joint. Note: This is only for the cash portion of the account.{Firms go through several banks to accomplish this. 10 banks*100,000 each=1 million per individual.}
The brokerage accounts usually are protected for upto
500000: SIPC insurance plus
99.5k through LLoyds of London or related intermediaries, totalling approx 100 million, subject to a maximum per firm limit.{usually 150m}
Hope that makes you sleep better!!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:45 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,143 times
To join the State Employees' Credit Union, you must be a state employee or teacher, or the spouse, parent, sibling, or child of a state employee or teacher.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:46 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post
Actually, when the FDIC takes over a bank (always on a Friday morning, by the way) the accounts are transferred to another hopefully more solvent bank. Customers of the now-defunct bank can begin banking at the new bank with very little or no interruption of service.

Here, for instance is a description of the process from the FDIC website for recently-failed Ameribank:
FDIC: Failed Bank Information - Bank Closing Information for Ameribank, Inc., Northfork, WV

Note that the process for WaMu and Wachovia will be different as the FDIC did not close those banks..they were purchased by other hopefully more solvent banks.
You are right -- the OP might be referring to what happens to the amounts in excess of the FDIC protection. There, depositors usually get some money back, but only a portion and only after the FDIC has managed to sell all the assets of the bank that's gone under.

Another option for folks looking to protect their money -- the Certificate of Deposit Account Registry Service, available through many banks. With banks that offer CDARS, you can get a CD at a particular interest rate, and the money will be actually invested in CDs around the network with less than $100,000 at any particular institution. So your CD investment will be protected in full, whether you deposit $100,000 or $50 million (the maximum allowed under CDARS).

Old 09-30-2008, 06:22 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,083 times
I use Capital Bank.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Here is my 2 cents about banks. I use to work on the tech side at a bank and then for a software company who serviced banks.

While your money (up to 100K per bank) is FDIC ensured, mergers are a pain in the patootie for banks, employees, and customers. I've lived through too many as a customer, employee, and vendor. Hate them with a passion.

After Citi gets ahold of Wachovia's accounts, Citi, BofA, and Chase will hold more than 50% of the accounts in this country. Personally, I do not think it's a healthy thing for 3 banks to hold onto this much money, accounts, and power. Think of the lobbying block they could have. Also, if all 3 of them failed, the economic system is probably done for. I personally like the idea of spreading the wealth around a bit more.

Accounts are currently w/ Wachovia (Walk all over us). We will be moving to either a credit union or BB&T (Butter Beans & Turnips ). While my account balances are a small influence in the big scheme of things, I don't plan to be one of those people in that 50%. We've decided that we normally try to support small businesses and are questioning why we aren't doing that with our banking.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:43 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,456 times
I spread my pennies around. The credit unions usually offer better savings rates. So, I maintain accounts there. I also keep money at Wachovia because they have ATMs every where, which makes it easier when I travel.

With online banking and ATMs, your banking options are limitless. We truly live in incredible times.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:40 AM

475 posts, read 1,575,144 times
Default First Citizens Bank

Real strong, doing well, here is a link for the Bankrate memo on them.Bankrate.com's Safe & Sound (tm) Bank, Thrift and Credit Union rating feature

Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 AM

28 posts, read 117,301 times
Another vote for Coastal! Lower rates, less fees and their customer service has been great so far.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:20 PM

38,865 posts, read 22,854,503 times
Thumbs up Credit Union ATM Co-Op Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
I spread my pennies around. The credit unions usually offer better savings rates. So, I maintain accounts there. I also keep money at Wachovia because they have ATMs every where, which makes it easier when I travel.

With online banking and ATMs, your banking options are limitless. We truly live in incredible times.
Since you maintain accounts with credit unions, didn't you know that credit union ATMs are part of what's known as the Co-Op Network? That means that you can use any other credit union's ATMs anywhere in the country FREE of surcharges.That's over 25,000 ATMs, which is more than Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Wachovia, or any other big-name commercial bank. Here's the website for the Co-Op Network:

CO-OP Financial Services

This reason alone was enough for me to close my accounts with WaMu and switch to a local credit union. Hope this is helpful for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary