Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:45 PM

27 posts, read 140,302 times

Advertisements

Can anyone point me to any schools that offer violin at the Elementary level? I have done a little research and found private lessons at a few locations, but it seems a little pricey for my family.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 06:29 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,093,929 times
Hmmm..our school system offers violin, viola and cello at 4th grade and then saxophone and flute at 5th. But I'm still in MA.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:04 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,333,256 times
Johnston county offers violin starting at 3rd grade. Not sure if Wake does the same.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:48 AM

36 posts, read 147,748 times
I am interested to know as well.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:25 AM

578 posts, read 3,082,973 times
The general rule of thumb is that generally piano is the only instrument you'll find instruction for kids under 7 years of age. Sometimes there will be instruction for guitar or violin younger, but not usually.

You may be able to find private lessons, but even then they won't usually teach to kids under 7 except for piano.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:38 PM

30 posts, read 150,368 times
I don't know about in the schools, but there is an excelent violin teacher in Creedmore. It's a small town, just ask.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:55 PM

548 posts, read 2,649,458 times
Actually violin is commonly the first instrument taught to young children, starting at about age 4. Piano comes next, and then other instruments such as guitar come later at 7-8 years old.

The whole suzuki movement (violin) as well as many private instruction places with good reputations will begin violin at age 4.

As for a school that has violin, Atlas International in Raleigh begins violin and piano in kindergarten. They are a private school--not sure if you meant public? Atlas is too far from where we live, but I would send my kids there if we lived in Raleigh area!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:01 PM

548 posts, read 2,649,458 times
Here are the minimum ages for a number of instruments for one music studio nearby:

Bassoon - age 11
Cello - age 10
Clarinet - age 7
Drums - age 7
Flute - age 7 (younger children most likely will need a flute with a curved headjoint)
French Horn - age 10
Guitar - age 8 (sometimes 7 with a junior sized guitar)
Oboe - age 11
Piano/Keyboard - age 5 (sometimes age 4 until our preschool program is in place)
Saxophone - age 9
Trombone - age 9
Trumpet - age 9
Tuba - age 13 unless already playing in a school band (due to the size of the instrument)
Viola - age 6
Violin - age 5 (sometimes age 4 until our preschool program is in place)
Voice - age 10 (trial basis for younger students, but will take 7-9 year olds with piano combination if choir is not an option)

Old 10-03-2007, 08:06 PM

906 posts, read 2,383,731 times
The only public schools that offer musical instrument instruction in Wake County are magnets. Non-magnets are prohibited from offering band or orchestra because it competes with the magnets. Plus, it is expensive to offer music programs and the school system reserves that money solely for magnets.

Some private schools offer it I believe. We did the Suzuki Violin program through Meredith College. It was a good program, but far from our home which was a pain.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,947,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
The only public schools that offer musical instrument instruction in Wake County are magnets. Non-magnets are prohibited from offering band or orchestra because it competes with the magnets. Plus, it is expensive to offer music programs and the school system reserves that money solely for magnets.

Some private schools offer it I believe. We did the Suzuki Violin program through Meredith College. It was a good program, but far from our home which was a pain.
You have got to be kidding me that they won't allow schools to compete. That alone should make people have 2nd thoughts about sending kids to Wake County Schools......what is the reasoning behind it? When I was in elementary school I played the violin, viola, cello and bass and started in 2nd grade. Now of course I hated all of them and got myself kicked out but the fact of the matter is that it was offered. Now of course there were side effects like people not worried about moving into specific school districts and kids having fun and oh yeah being one of the top school systems in the country but hey who needs any of that crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary