Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:37 PM

114 posts, read 430,083 times

Advertisements

A friend has suggested buying plants at the farmer's market for fall planting. Has anyone had experience buying there or anywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 04:03 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsbj92 View Post
A friend has suggested buying plants at the farmer's market for fall planting. Has anyone had experience buying there or anywhere else?
I bought some bushes there this spring. The prices were great and the folks were kind. And my bushes look great ....all except the ones that hubby forgot to water while I was gone and it was 100 degrees.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:18 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
I've bought plants, flowers and herbs at the Raleigh Farmer's Market. The vendors are so helpful with planting and lighting tips - very knowledgable! Good stuff!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:31 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I buy them there all the time. The prices are reasonable, the sellers are nice and the plants are local, which I think helps when you re-plant.
The ONLY drawback I can think of is that there is not the variety you find in a regular nursery or home warehouse kind of place.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:39 PM

473 posts, read 1,517,691 times
I bought a huge herb array and it is GORGEOUS! Very healthy and well taken care of.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:39 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I've been just as successful killing stuff I buy at the Farmers' Market as anywhere else.

And, yes, the folks are nice and helpful, too.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I've been just as successful killing stuff I buy at the Farmers' Market as anywhere else.
I see we have similar gardening skills!

I've gotten nice plants there, especially nice herbs. Some of them have even survived my care!

Old 09-18-2008, 06:05 AM

114 posts, read 430,083 times
My friend has suggested that the best grower there is a big man name Kevin or Calvin. Grows for a nursery east of here, has anyone heard of him?

Old 09-18-2008, 01:29 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,642 times
I echo what everyone has already said. The other nice thing is that you can bargain with the puveyors, which you can't at Lowe's or Home Depot. Plus, the plants are all well-cared for, relatively pest free, and have all been watered regularly. Can't say that for the Big boxes. Furthermore, if you ask about how to plant, prune, protect, etc. you will get a real answer vs. an answer from a book on a shelf. I totally prefer buying at the farmers market.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:34 AM

550 posts, read 1,487,279 times
I always buy my seasonal flowers at the farmer's market. I've also gotten herbs there, but no shrubs as of yet. I like it for the following reasons:

1. The plants are healthier than ones you get at Lowe's or Home Depot. They seem to spend much less time "in shock" once you transplant them into the ground, and I've had a higher success rate with farmer's market plants than with Home Depot plants (I don't go to Lowe's - their stuff is crap) because I think they start out healthier.

2. It's easier to get help at the farmer's market. I go to the booths and ask the people working what plants would work given the criteria I have to work with. For instance, I'll tell them I want a good hanging plant for my porch, which gets morning sun. Or I need something that will fill out and stop erosion for a spot under a tree in my backyard, one side of which gets afternoon light and the other afternoon shade. And they'll hook me up with the best plants for my needs. It's tough to even find anyone to ask at Home Depot, and all they'll do is tell you to read the plastic tags.

3. Farmer's market is much cheaper than local nurseries, for an equivalent quality plant. I love going to Logan, and I will go there sometimes still,but only after I've visited the Farmer's market. I'd say Logan is maybe 30-50% more expensive for bedding flowers, sometimes 2x or more, because where I can get 6-packs at the farmers market for $3 or $6, Logan will be selling larger versions of the same flowers in single pots for $2-3 apiece. Two weeks after planting the farmer's market version, they'll be the same size as what Logan was selling for twice as much. However, I can't always find what I want at the farmer's market; sometimes the booths get picked over pretty quick.

I'm in the market to replace some dead shrubs pretty soon here. I'll probably hit the farmer's market first and go to Logan if I can't find what I want there. Going to Home depot is like throwing away money, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary