Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,085 times

Advertisements

UPDATE:

Tonight we came home and down the street about a block from my home I noticed a dark shadow coming from one of my neighbors driveway at about 12:15 am. Instead of turning into my driveway I continued on. As I approached, the individual pulled out a cell phone and held it up to his ear. He had on a totally jet black, full length trench coat. He flipped up the collar to cover his face and started to walk faster. He was an Hispanic male. He had a look on his face I can only describe as "Don't mess with me." Not knowing what this person might have under that coat, big enough to store a small house in, I went down the block and called the police. As I drove back to my home, he was cutting through a neighbors yard into the trees. The cop drove though about 5 minutes later, but of course he was long gone.

I think it is safe to say, this is likely our little unwanted guest. The guy seriously gave us the creeps! He was obviously dressed in total black to hide, did not want us to see him and when we looked, he glared at us, as if to say "don't even go there." My gut tells me he was packing.

If you see anyone like this walking through your neighborhood late at night, do not hesitate, CALL THE POLICE!

This guy picked the wrong house to hang around as I'm up into the wee hours of the morning doing my computer work. Chances are, if he keeps coming through here, I'll see him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 12:08 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,759 times
Carolina Cowboy, maybe you should send a number of us your address so we can patrol your hood for this guy. I wouldn't mind taking out my exact same frustrations out on the same guy or people terrorizing your neighborhood. I'm on a lot of different listservs and I must say, I'm reading a lot of the same things you're citing. Unfortunately, as much as I like and respect the police force, by the time they show up, they're pretty much useless to do anything productive. Not their fault, of course. But the thugs know this and will continue to harass innocent people until those people show they will not tolerate such 'stuff' anymore.

Still, I'll call the police whenever I see or hear anything. And, still, nothing can be done. But, oh well, I'm not a vigilante but I do fantasize about being one. Or at least that's my story.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:09 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I would think bashing out a car window would be rather noisy. Probably why the seem to be sticking to unlocked cars. If someone broke my car window in my driveway, chances are I would wake up.

You would think but someone smashed the window of the minivan in my driveway and none of us heard anything. I guess they have figured out how to do it quietly.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:06 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
I'm not a vigilante but I do fantasize about being one. Or at least that's my story.

I just play one one on TV ..... NOT

Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM

228 posts, read 802,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I live right by Triangle Town Center in a diverse part of North Raleigh.

Never lock my 08 Corolla during the day. Just don't invite fate with anything like a GPS or aftermarket stereo.

There's a cellphone with no service in the console that can only dial 911 along with a tire gauge. Both are worth much less than the cost of a broken window.

Perhaps thieves smell money in Cary and think of Bubba with a weapon in my area.
I have a aftermarket stereo, my car got broken into twice, the first time i had the faceplate in and the stereo unbolted. The second time I had the faceplate in and stereo bolted to the frame. They broke the window but couldn't get the stereo out. Now i always remove the faceplate when i leave the car.

Totally agree w/ above, leave nothing of value in the car, lock all your doors, remove your GPS/stereo etc. Locked doors aren't a deterent at all, it takes a few seconds to break a window (always the quarter panel in the back seat).

Old 10-22-2008, 02:18 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
You would think but someone smashed the window of the minivan in my driveway and none of us heard anything. I guess they have figured out how to do it quietly.
If I were planning to burgle a car, I would first apply a sheet of contact paper to the window I was preparing to shatter. This would minimize unwanted noise, while allowing a safe, glass-free environment in which I could burgle with impunity.

Really, the whole point of this point was so that I could use the word burgle.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:27 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
If I were planning to burgle a car, I would first apply a sheet of contact paper to the window I was preparing to shatter. This would minimize unwanted noise, while allowing a safe, glass-free environment in which I could burgle with impunity.

Really, the whole point of this point was so that I could use the word burgle.
Burglars : take lessons here

Old 10-22-2008, 08:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
[quote=CarolinaCowboy;5798023]UPDATE:

Tonight we came home and down the street about a block from my home I noticed a dark shadow coming from one of my neighbors driveway at about 12:15 am. Instead of turning into my driveway I continued on.

Since it appears your presence driving down the street made him take off, maybe you can talk with others in the neighborhood about taking turns driving around the neighborhood at night for the next few weeks. Maybe he will get the picture that you as a community will not tolerate this and move on. If I lived in your neighborhood I sure would volunteer to patrol!

Hope you either catch him or scare him off! Good Luck!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 AM

93 posts, read 263,255 times
fence your property , get a pitbull, let it out at night, unless they kill your dog that should end all the problems. most gangsta's fear this dog, pits fear no man, sleep well and let the master of protection do his job.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:38 AM

316 posts, read 1,006,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952 KID View Post
fence your property , get a pitbull, let it out at night, unless they kill your dog that should end all the problems. most gangsta's fear this dog, pits fear no man, sleep well and let the master of protection do his job.
What ignorance about pitbulls and home safety. Pitbulls don't tend to be human aggressive, but they are intensely loyal to their families. If that loyalty is abused/twisted, then you will get any dog to attack others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary