Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times

Advertisements

I need you help! I am looking for an instrument music store that sells instructional guides, music books, and solo sheet music for brass instruments like the trombone and trumpet. I am also trying to find an instrument dealer that services and repairs brass instruments. Anybody have any suggestions? I don't care where it is located in the Triangle.

Thanks for your assistance!

~NRG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 05:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
I believe that Sam Ash on Capital Boulevard has a sheet music and woodwind section.
As far as sheet music I'd look online for a far wider selection.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:50 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
Marsh Woodwinds

Old 10-28-2008, 05:51 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
Marsh Woodwinds in Raleigh

http://www.marshwoodwinds.com/

Old 10-28-2008, 05:57 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Burrage Music has lots of sheet music...services instuments also..

It is a street over from Capital near Sams/Target/ Ford.

http://www.burragemusic.com/retailer...shell_id_1.asp

Old 10-28-2008, 06:49 PM

836 posts, read 3,469,921 times
There is also a real good music instrument, sheet music store tucked into Crossroads, back in the corner by Play it again sports, etc. Can't remember the name, though.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:46 AM

983 posts, read 3,987,981 times
I was going to add Burrages off of Capital Blvd. They have an UNBELIEVABLE amount of sheet music in that store!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 27,934 times
Sam Ash is a chain guitar store, and not a particularly good one at that. For what the OP is asking about, they are downright predatory on parents of elementary school band students who don't yet know any better. Avoid avoid avoid.

I'm interested in knowing more about Burrage vs. Marsh. From the websites, I get the impression that the local school band and church choir directors hang out at Burrage, and the local semi-pro musicians hang out at Marsh. Am I correct? Does Marsh have things for brasswinds, too?

Final comment - if you end up going the online route, Hickey's music in Ithaca, NY is highly recommended. Good service and helpful advice if you call them on the phone, too (especially for trombone).

Old 10-29-2008, 11:35 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
I heard that there's a place in Durham called "The Tuba Exchange". They specialize in only tubas & euphoniums & the like, but they might know the best places to go for other brass instruments. According to their website, the owner & other employees play with local symphony orchestras, so they really know their stuff. If I were you, I'd give them a call just to see who they might recommend.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,196 times
Default Marsh Woodwinds rules

Marsh woodwinds!!! Yes! This is my favorite place in the Universe. I actually got married there!

They do not have a lot of sheet music, but they are the BEST place for repair. If they can't fix something, they will find someone who will. If you don't find what you need, you will have the best time looking around and chatting with the guys who work there.

I have ordered sheet music from Burrage and waited forever to get it. Places like Sam Ash and Music and Arts are good for basic things, but you won't find much beyond "the classics." What specifically are you looking for? I am a woodwind player, so I know only those venues, but there has got to be a large brass music publishing center online.

Good luck!

E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary