Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 6,590 times

Advertisements

For all those Ethiopian food fans, Queen of Sheba is reopening in the Timberlyne Shopping Center in Chapel Hill off old Airport Road. bbt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:03 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtrapp View Post
For all those Ethiopian food fans, Queen of Sheba is reopening in the Timberlyne Shopping Center in Chapel Hill off old Airport Road. bbt

I noticed that yesterday when I was at the shopping center. What kind of food will they be serving? Where was Queen of Sheba previously located?

Old 10-31-2008, 09:18 AM

415 posts, read 1,110,380 times
I just saw this thread.... Can't believe no one else has responded! Maybe a lot of people aren't familiar with Ethiopian food. I have a good friend who is from Ethiopia and I just loved having dinner at her house. Yum, yum, yum! The flavors are so unique and delicious. Thanks for the heads up.

Jenny_B

Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,401 times
JDatlas - are you asking what Ethiopian food is?

In general, it's meats and vegetables in sort of stew/cooked arrangements that are sloppy/semi-liquid. It's served with a soft,bitter flatbread that you use to pinch and eat the stews - no utensils.

I had Ethiopian food a couple of times in Little Ethiopia in LA and really was not a big fan at all. It was disappointing, too, because picking up food with bread sounds so appealing to me as a concept (Love bread, love sloppy/saucy food) but I just found the food to be a little bland and the spices a little too odd, and the bread was VERY bitter at both restaurants.

It is, however, a very fun group dining experience...kind of like how people who don't really like sushi sometimes like to go out for sushi with a group just because it's kind of fun.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the info Sneeze. I had never heard of Ethiopian restaurants before.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:39 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
JDatlas - are you asking what Ethiopian food is?

In general, it's meats and vegetables in sort of stew/cooked arrangements that are sloppy/semi-liquid. It's served with a soft,bitter flatbread that you use to pinch and eat the stews - no utensils.

I had Ethiopian food a couple of times in Little Ethiopia in LA and really was not a big fan at all. It was disappointing, too, because picking up food with bread sounds so appealing to me as a concept (Love bread, love sloppy/saucy food) but I just found the food to be a little bland and the spices a little too odd, and the bread was VERY bitter at both restaurants.

It is, however, a very fun group dining experience...kind of like how people who don't really like sushi sometimes like to go out for sushi with a group just because it's kind of fun.
The bread is called injera and although the sauces CAN be sloppy/semi-liquid, many are not. Many are also very spicy. There is a huge variety of what goes on the injera--it sounds like maybe you were not at a good restaurant.

I've had Ethiopian food many times in the U.S. and in Ethiopia and although it is not my favorite cuisine, I would really not describe the bread as bitter nor most sauces as sloppy...give it a try, you might like it!

ps--I read that there is also a West African restaurant opening in the area. It will be run by Senegalese and feature food from various parts of W.Africa (they vary a LOT by ethnic group/culture/country). My favorite (of what I know) African food is Senegalese so if you go to the restaurant try the Yassa Poulet or Maffe Gerte. Delicious!! (and if you like fish, ceeb u gen is great).

Old 10-31-2008, 03:41 PM

147 posts, read 689,267 times
I had Ethiopian food several times while in D.C. and I have to say that I didn't find the bread to be bitter at all. Maybe there are regional differences in preparation?

Does anyone know if this restaurant moved or if closed and then reopened? Just wondering why it closed in the first place!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:09 PM

I know that it is in the location where the Dreamcatchers Cafe used to be in the Timberlyne Shopping Center on Weaver Dairy in Chapel Hill. The restaurant opens tomorrow. There was a sign in the window saying that they were accepting reservations. The OP said something about it reopening so I assumed it had moved from a different location.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:16 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
I've had Ethiopian food a number of times at various restaurants all across the US. I've really enjoyed it every time. Many of the items are spicy, but others are mild. The spongy flat bread - injera - seemed a little odd to me at first, but it grew on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korillian View Post
Does anyone know if this restaurant moved or if closed and then reopened? Just wondering why it closed in the first place!
The original location was closed because the owner of the building wanted to redevelop the land into some sort of multi-use project. I heard that they were more than happy to have Queen of Sheba occupy the first level of the new building when construction was completed, but the restaurant owner could not afford to go that long without working (and there were additional costs involved, too? Maybe? I'm fuzzy on some of the details.).

Anyway, glad to hear that she's back!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:20 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
They used to be on one of those side streets between Franklin and Rosemary downtown. They're building condos there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary