Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:37 AM

11 posts, read 20,776 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from LI, NYers or any yankee that has moved or who is looking to move. What towns are you looking at, or where have you decided to move to? What are the pros and cons about the town or subdivision you moved to? What do you love, what would you change, anything missing?

What advice would you give to those of us who are thinking about relocating?

Any advice about buying vs renting? What about renting with option to buy? We have school aged children and I am nervous about moving them twice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 10:44 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
I'm from NJ. I've lived in Raleigh for 3 plus years now.

My advice to you is figure out where it is you will be working before you get too deep into where you want to live. The Triangle is a large place and you need to keep that in mind when comparing specific town in relation to where you need to drive each day for work or for otherplaces you need to go.

There are many popular areas outside of the Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill core areas. Several suburban communities like Wake Forest, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs ect.... Some people find that Johnston County and Clayton work for them becuase housing is a little cheaper there. Every town has it's pluses and minuses. It depends on what it is you are looking for. You will find people from NY and NJ ain just about any town you look into.

I highly recommend you rent first just so you can get your bearings. Even if you know what town works best for you, it may take a while to learn the different parts of that town and figure out which neighborhoods may be best for you.

I can find just about anything I want in this area. I would not change anything. The only thing I would like to see improved over time is better public transportation, but that is something that could be said for a majority of the United States.

Good luck with your search.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:50 AM

93 posts, read 263,290 times
life in general is much better in nc,my first impression was long island in the 1970's.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:09 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
We grew up in LI.

NC is much better.

Rent before you buy. Don't do rent-to-own. They frequently go wrong.

Many nice apts here. We've rented in Raleigh 20 years.

One thing. Almost no public transit.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:11 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,712 times
Definitely don't listen to "common wisdom" when it comes to where to live, etc. Talk to people you trust, visit if you can, get to know the area, rent if possible, and make your own decisions.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:20 AM

11 posts, read 20,776 times
Thanks so much! I am planning on teaching. I guess we should find employment before picking an exact area. Any ideas for employment for retired NYPD/Military?

Old 10-26-2008, 03:33 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
Security? Many security firms including Guardsmark.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:51 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952 KID View Post
life in general is much better in nc,my first impression was long island in the 1970's.
You gotta love the obliviousness and irony in this statement!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:28 AM

93 posts, read 263,290 times
Well, for me in my opinion,life is better in general, and my first impression was long island in the 1970's,.Whats wrong with that, oblivious to what? And irony,in nc building up, and housing developments,springing up like long island of past. NC will never be like long island,or what happened there,its not an island with limited land,this state is huge.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,462 times
That statement does concern alot of people, and also if you check NY state is a little larger then NC so that statment is not that accurate.(before you edited out NC is a big state with lots of land) Keep in mind People are not moving evenly all over the state but in concentrated areas like Cary,Charlotte ect,,,which could lead to the same end result as a long Island. The main contraint will be jobs and that will keep the future growth at check as well as housing deals back in bubble markets with high paying jobs will redirect some growth down the road(2 to 3 years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary