Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:14 PM

560 posts, read 2,849,720 times

Advertisements

NC-Native is not the norm as far as folks that have called NC home all their lives, 99% of the folks I have met have been very warm and welcoming, I would simply ignore this "unique case".

I am originally from Patchogue on LI and have been living in Youngsville, NC since May and love it.

Sometimes The Triangle feels like LI but more often it feels like the Triangle. It has a feel all of its own that I really enjoy.

We did not own a home on LI, so we bought here first, I landed a job, and we made the move. It is pretty spread out here in Youngsville, we are in Franklin County. For a more close to everything type place you'll want to check out Wake County.

Do some searches on what is important to you and take a look at the threads that come up.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 03:23 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Native View Post
You couldn't afford to live next to me, and you probably wouldn't want to anyway.
You are probably wrong about the first statement but definitely right about the second!

Old 10-19-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgrl View Post
No, some of us want to move here because when we visited we found you to be very friendly people and a return to manners. I guess there's always one bad apple in the bunch!
I moved south from NY many years ago. Right now I live in GA but I plan on buying a house in Pinehurst soon and eventually moving there. My experience has been that most of the people I have met from NC (including my husband) are very friendly. You mostly run into the type that doesn't want any Northerners moving down in small towns. That being said, not all small town people are small-minded. But, if you move to a town with a population of 800 peopel and they are all related you are not going to fit in. Stick to the larger towns and cities.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:24 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Originally Posted by NC-Native
You couldn't afford to live next to me, and you probably wouldn't want to anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
You are probably wrong about the first statement but definitely right about the second!
You could afford to live near me but probably wouldn't want to anyway.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
You could afford to live near me but probably wouldn't want to anyway.
Sure I would. Judging by your posts you seem like a friendly and neighborly sort of person. When I buy in NC I would much rather have a neighbor like you than that wannabe.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 9,298 times
Yeah, good luck on selling that house in Marietta right now! Not sure why you called me a wannabe - pretty narrow terminology. And no, I'm certain you can't afford to live by me. Contrary to popular opinion, all natives are not poor and dumb, just tired of the dilution of our culture and accents by non-natives. The worst offenders tend to be from either New York or New Jersey, but not always the case. I have some very close friends from these areas, and they haven't tried to change anything. They appreciate what we already have to offer. Enough said on this subject.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Native View Post
And no, I'm certain you can't afford to live by me. Contrary to popular opinion, all natives are not poor and dumb, just tired of the dilution of our culture and accents by non-natives. .
Well, then I guess its lucky for you that you own a multi-million dollar estate so that you can keep the riff-raff away from you.
Now, if only you could convince your neighbors not to sell to outsiders you could continue living in your non-diluted society.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 PM

63 posts, read 274,258 times
Seems like a lot of Long Islanders are making the move to Raleigh.

Can you tell me what the differences between the two places are? I know there are a lot of similarities, with people even drawing direct parallels between certain LI towns and certain NC towns.

Obviously the cost of living is lower.

What else?

Just wondering why so many people are making a switch to an area that seems very similar to the one they came from.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass4 View Post
Seems like a lot of Long Islanders are making the move to Raleigh.

Can you tell me what the differences between the two places are? I know there are a lot of similarities, with people even drawing direct parallels between certain LI towns and certain NC towns.

Obviously the cost of living is lower.

What else?

Just wondering why so many people are making a switch to an area that seems very similar to the one they came from.
DIFFERENCES FROM LI - GOOD & BAD

Lower taxes and utilities.

Less crowded.

No public transit worth a darn.

Not as many things to do as the NY Metro area

I like it here after growing up in Oceanside but don't ask Raleigh to become like LI for my benefit.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:19 AM

17 posts, read 54,479 times
Default questions

can anyone tell me where Wake county vs. Franklin county is? What county is Raleigh in? Is the "triangle" Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham?
I visited Raleigh and Cary a week ago (we're from Bellmore) and saw some homes.
What do you think of the Preston area of Cary? Our children are in college, to the local school system doesn't matter much. Most of the homes we've seen have very little backyard and they were all undeveloped. Is this the norm?
How busy is traffic in Raleigh? What would you compare it to?
Nice to know so many Long Islanders are moving to the area. I don't have any family there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary