Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:06 PM

113 posts, read 364,850 times

Advertisements

our realtor told us mice were everywhere, whether it be old homes, new homes, everywhere! especially homes in wooded areas and i'd better get used to it, or just get a few cats.

i'm TERRIFIED of mice. is this true or was she pulling my leg? please say she was joking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 01:20 PM

89 posts, read 417,246 times
I've had one in 7 years since buying my home new. Wouldn't consider that a huge problem! I don't like killing things so my son and I led him out of the house with a food trail.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:20 PM

225 posts, read 954,115 times
Yes, get a cat! I haven't seen a mouse in years (in my home anyways).

Old 02-22-2007, 01:32 PM

113 posts, read 364,850 times
husband and son don't like cats. we plan to move to mebane. hope i don't see any. thanks!

Old 02-22-2007, 01:36 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebritty View Post
our realtor told us mice were everywhere, whether it be old homes, new homes, everywhere! especially homes in wooded areas and i'd better get used to it, or just get a few cats.

i'm TERRIFIED of mice. is this true or was she pulling my leg? please say she was joking!
Sure there are mice around...but honestly....no, they are not in every house. I've been here three years....with a home that backs up to a wooded area....and have seen...NONE.

Find a new realtor....'cause that one is flaky.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:48 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
Mice are nearly everywhere..that much is true. What you need to do is address how they are getting into your home. It dosen't take much of an opening...they can squeeze thru very very small spaces. Very slowly and methodically examine your foundation, footings, sill plate interface, basement windows etc and plug every single thing that even looks like a possible entry point. Mice also are good climbers...don't overllok entry points above ground. And don't fill voids with something they can chew thru. Ready to use cement patching compound can be bought in ready to use small tubs at local home supply. Expanding foam in a can works well too.One of the worst offenders is the garage door. They seem to never fit tight all the way around and a garage usually leads to the rest of the home. If you're not handy get someone to install flashing and such around the garage doorways. (helps with heating bills as well) Even with that I usually keep a trap or two baited in the garage in case they get that far.

I live "in the woods" surrounded by mice, bugs, fox,turkey,deer etc. But I like then outside Spend some time crawling around looking at possibilities (got a crawl space ??) and you can keep them out where they belong.

Good luck.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:49 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,237 times
For sure get a cat or a West Highland Terrier they also chase rodents away!

Old 02-22-2007, 02:29 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,453 times
I am (irrationally) afraid of mice as well. We built our house eight years ago and we have had AT least 6 mice. Now I leave traps in the areas we found them in most frequently. It totally freaked me out b/c I had never had one ever before this house. I do no live in a heavily wooded area...

Old 02-22-2007, 02:48 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
We haven't had mice here but wouldn't be surprised to see one because we do back up to a woodline. We had a bunch in a house we had before we moved. They got into the garage (where they stayed contained) by squeezing in between the garage door and the door's framing. A gap about the size of a quarter is all it took. We filled it up with expanding foam once we got rid of the mice and never had a problem after that.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:30 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
I would get a pest control contract anyway.

Termites are a concern in the southeast, so you will want to have regular sprayings even if the house is new and was treated during construction.

Most pest services will contract with you to take care of rodents as well as insects. We had bait stations in our garage in Chapel Hill and there was definitely activity even though we never saw a mouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary