Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:36 PM

415 posts, read 1,110,452 times

Advertisements

A very sweet person has offered me an iPhone (the first version). I am using someone else's phone/account at the moment but am ready to get my own. I've been avoiding it because I am so confused and overwhelmed by the choices.

If I use the iPhone, I don't have to make many choices because I will have to use AT&T. What has been your experience in The Raleigh/Cary/RTP area with AT&T as far as reliable signal goes?

If I decide not to go with the iPhone my choices become overwhelming again. Right now the phone I'm using is on Sprint, and I find the signal issues extremely annoying. It's an old phone so maybe that has something to do with it but I find I constantly have to tilt my head just-so to get decent signal, particularly inside a house or building.

What companies have you found to have the best coverage in the Triangle?

Don't even get me started on trying to figure out which plan to choose!!! Why do they make it so darn confusing!

On a side note, I have to admit that budgeting for things like this is totally new to me. I have no idea how much is a reasonable amount to spend on cell phone service. What percentage of my income do you think is a sane amount to spend if I want to use the phone for all voice communication (possibly up to an hour a day), a little texting (not more than 2 or 3 a day I'd think), and fun stuff like being able to check email and so forth (via the iPhone or a Blackberry or something)?

Thanks!
Jenny_B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 12:38 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,921 times
We use AT&T and have no issues with service in Cary. Had Sprint in the past and had terrible coverage.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:43 PM

415 posts, read 1,110,452 times
Thanks Slynn.

And by the way to everyone... I know there are like 1,000 threads about cell phone companies, but mine has a fresh new twist! Really! Doesn't it? :-)

Jenny_B

Old 11-13-2008, 12:45 PM

300 posts, read 973,340 times
Great coverage everywhere except for the area around Cary Park. You can see the hole on the AT&T Wireless coverage map. If anyone else has this issue, please call AT&T and complain along with me (they said the more complaints they get, the more likely they are to add a tower)

Old 11-13-2008, 12:46 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,789 times
Do you need the iPhone? I mean, I know it's cool, but you'd be spending minimum 59/month on service. Depending on how much you use it (and it sounds like if you are using someone else's that you must not use too much airtime) then ATT and Verizon both have 39/month national plans that are much more affordable but do not feature data.

I wanted an iPhone, but once you do the math on how much the real cost of ownership is, it wasn't worth it, and I don't NEED data/email on the go.

I have Verizon and the coverage is good it seems.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:48 PM

357 posts, read 1,383,877 times
My husband & I always judge how good a cell phone company is by whether or not we get a good signal at our house - which is in the northern portion of Wake Forest a few miles from the Granville County line.... & I'm happy to say AT&T has great coverage up here. Verizon is also pretty good, but I canceled Sprint because of the spotty coverage.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:49 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,672 times
I have had AT&T for the past 4 years (well really Cingular for 3) and really never have any coverage problems. There's this one mile stretch near my parents house that has problems but other than that none! I studied abroad in Costa Rica summer before last for a month and I was one of the few who had signal.

Now here's my concern, I might be switching to Sprint next month so my bf and I can be on the same plan and so far with the comments about them I am questioning it. I was already concerned b/c I have always been happy with AT&T/Cingular.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:54 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,148 times
I use an iPhone and get pretty good service everywhere in the Triangle area (can be a bit spotty in some of the larger shopping malls and box stores).

I wouldn't worry about quality of service anywhere. As for whether you need it or not, it is a cool phone, but I'd only recommend it if you need email and internet on the go. Having it makes my life a lot easier in terms of work, but if I only wanted to make calls and use the other features only occasionally, I don't think it's worth the money.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:57 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I have had AT&T for the past 4 years (well really Cingular for 3) and really never have any coverage problems. There's this one mile stretch near my parents house that has problems but other than that none! I studied abroad in Costa Rica summer before last for a month and I was one of the few who had signal.

Now here's my concern, I might be switching to Sprint next month so my bf and I can be on the same plan and so far with the comments about them I am questioning it. I was already concerned b/c I have always been happy with AT&T/Cingular.
I would never switch to Sprint...I don't know anyone that has voluntarily given up ATT or VZ for Sprint...the street seems to run the other direction.

Why don't you make him switch to your provider?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:00 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
I would never switch to Sprint...I don't know anyone that has voluntarily given up ATT or VZ for Sprint...the street seems to run the other direction.

Why don't you make him switch to your provider?

I tried My contract is up next month and he still has over a year left. He just ordered a new phone b/c his is dying, so it looks like 2 years now. I am on a plan with my sister so I will probably just stick with that. I had a gut feeling it was the wrong switch.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary