Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times

Advertisements

According to the N&O:

Quote:
The number of information technology job openings posted statewide rose 23.8 percent in November compared to the previous month, the largest one-month gain in five or more years. November marked the third consecutive month of growth projections for the IT sector, according to the latest data released by the N.C. Technology Association.
But things still seem bleak compared to a year ago:

Quote:
In the glass-is-half-empty category, however, the figure - 1,770 IT job openings statewide in November - was down 11.9 percent compared to the same month last year.
Help wanted in IT sector - Business - NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
In this week's issue of Newsweek, there are two articles about unemployment.

One is titled:

JOBLESSNESS IS HERE TO STAY

and the other:

JOBS ARE ON THE WAY!

So it appears the pundits are perfectly clear on exactly what's going to happen.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:46 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,418 times
the key word about the 23.8% increase in IT jobs is 'statewide'; but as it says in the article the number of IT jobs reduced in Raleigh-cary by 4.4% in the year. The only good news is that IT jobs in Durham increased by 7%. The article speculates that the decline could be the result of Outsourcing but I would suggest that the main reason is Offshoring, particularly with high profile offshoring programs by IBM as they move more work to their India operation.

"the total number of IT and communications workers in the Raleigh-Cary metropolitan statistical area fell 4.4percent over 12months."

Boney said he was surprised by that decline given the number of companies such as Deutsche Bank, Cree and EMC that are hiring. . Deutsche Bank Global Technology's new office in Cary is expected to employ more than 300 workers.

Boney speculated that the decline could result from increased outsourcing by Raleigh and Cary businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
According to the N&O:

But things still seem bleak compared to a year ago:

Help wanted in IT sector - Business - NewsObserver.com

Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,994 times
What is an IT job anyway?? Info tech?? What do you guys do??

Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 PM

To give you an idea of job titles, here's a link to the 30 top-paying jobs in IT (Information Technology):
Page 3 - The 30 Top Paying Jobs in IT - Salaries

I have worked in IT departments as an instructional designer, technical writer, web designer, and change agent/manager. I enjoyed contract work.

I worked with managers and developers to ensure our customers (usually employees) knew how to use the software "solutions" they were developing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
What is an IT job anyway?? Info tech?? What do you guys do??

Old 12-16-2009, 08:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
To give you an idea of job titles, here's a link to the 30 top-paying jobs in IT (Information Technology):
Page 3 - The 30 Top Paying Jobs in IT - Salaries

I have worked in IT departments as an instructional designer, technical writer, web designer, and change agent/manager. I enjoyed contract work.

I worked with managers and developers to ensure our customers (usually employees) knew how to use the software "solutions" they were developing.

My husband is actively searching for IT Project Management jobs, would love to come to the Raleigh area

Old 12-16-2009, 08:46 PM

I know an IT PM who now works in a gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My husband is actively searching for IT Project Management jobs, would love to come to the Raleigh area

Old 12-16-2009, 09:31 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,214,576 times
No kidding. Good luck w/that. Seems of the few IT jobs in "the Triangle," most are developers and SA/network people, with a smattering of testers, BAs, and "other" (mgt etc).

Raleigh is a nice area but not when there's no money coming in. I'm seriously considering Charlotte or DC, as there are simply a lot more jobs in each. Heck I've even thought about Atlanta.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:46 PM

406 posts, read 788,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Raleigh is a nice area but not when there's no money coming in.
I hear you.

Many other places, even ones with a higher unemployment rate, seem to have more job listings.
We are considering moving as soon as our lease is up.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I know an IT PM who now works in a gym.
Yep, it's brutal out here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary