Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:37 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,389 times

Advertisements

First off, I would like to wish a Happy Thanksgiving to all the City Data posters and to the best moderator around, Sunny.

Our nation is in uncertain times, which can weigh on our souls if we let it. Please take the time this Thanksgiving to take stock of what you actually have. Appreciate all that is around you and be thankful that in times like this, you are the fortunate one to live in the Triangle. The Triangle offers so many incredible things and I am thrilled to be here. There are others that live in the Triangle that are not as fortunate as us. They are the homeless. Now I know there have been debates over helping or not helping them, but at this time of year I think we ALL should help out. So when you drive by the homeless folks at the intersection of Fayetteville Road and I-40 ramp, please stop and think what you could do to make their life just a little nicer for a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,137 times
Perfect and can't be said any better. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
First off, I would like to wish a Happy Thanksgiving to all the City Data posters and to the best moderator around, Sunny.

Our nation is in uncertain times, which can weigh on our souls if we let it. Please take the time this Thanksgiving to take stock of what you actually have. Appreciate all that is around you and be thankful that in times like this, you are the fortunate one to live in the Triangle. The Triangle offers so many incredible things and I am thrilled to be here. There are others that live in the Triangle that are not as fortunate as us. They are the homeless. Now I know there have been debates over helping or not helping them, but at this time of year I think we ALL should help out. So when you drive by the homeless folks at the intersection of Fayetteville Road and I-40 ramp, please stop and think what you could do to make their life just a little nicer for a day.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:29 PM

24 posts, read 66,498 times
I too appreciate how incredibly fortunate we are, even if things are tougher financially than they have been in the past.
I hesitate to provide hand-outs to people on the street for many reasons, for one thing they can endanger themselves by being in traffic.
If getting special pricing is a motivator for people to donate to charity, many local businesses give discounts in exchange for donations.
Blue Water Spa www.bluewaterspa.com is having a food drive and offering up to $80.00 off every spa treatment and massage for bringing canned goods in for the Interfaith Food Shuttle
Trek Bicycles offers a credit when you trade in a bike. They then will donate the bike to a local charity.
WJ's Toy Shop Welcome to Wj's Toy Stop is hosting a holiday sale in conjuction with a charity event to benefit kids in foster care.

Let's all give what we can to others in need AND support locally owned businesses with a commitment to helping others.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,415 times
I strongly agree! Support your local businesses so that they will be there in a year or two or five! I live in Holly Springs and I want my little town to grow and prosper....so we are eating in town and shopping in town as much as possible.

I feel blessed to pay my bills and feed our family...and have the luxury of eating out every now and then!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:19 PM

715 posts, read 1,040,053 times
Thanks for this post, y'all. Been feelin' neg the past week or so. Always good to keep life in perspective.
Again, Thanks.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
Thanks for this post, y'all. Been feelin' neg the past week or so. Always good to keep life in perspective.
Again, Thanks.

I was feeling negative a few weeks back. It's easy to go that route with the daily doom & gloom being stuffed down our throats. Let's all keep our heads up, stay positive and enjoy life. We do have it great, all things considered.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
My office is still contributing to the "Backpack Buddy" program.

This week is Merchan soup? I think it is like the Ramen noodle soup.

Feel free to drop some off at any office.

Vicki

Old 11-24-2008, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,671 times
you pulled me out of a rut by what you said. Greatfulness is the top priority this thanksgiving.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:55 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,085 times
I tend not to give to the traditional man in the street with a sign, I pick and choose based on my gut. So many of the sign holders are just drunks looking for a bottle of cheap booze. Not that I am judging them, but I don't wish to contribute to their demise.

On the other hand, I am always helping needy people out. About a month ago I went to HT for a late night snack and I walked in behind a very old man who caught my attention. I could tell he was likely homeless or very poor. As I went near the checkout line the old man was standing off to the side holding a package of cooked ribs with potatoes and some bread and rolls. He was digging through his pockets gathering all his few dollars and change. As I watched him count the money it became obvious he did not have enough $, so he started back down the isle and put the meat packet away. I walked up behind him and told him "I got it." I told him I would buy him whatever he wanted to eat. He objected at first as he did not want me to pay for it. But then he said he was real hungry and asked if I would mind, as he was running short on money for the month.

Fast forwarding, I bought the few food items he had and he was most grateful for it. As we went into the parking lot, he told me his story about how he had suffered a severe head injury some 10 years ago and had neurological problems and was unable to work. I noticed he had tremors like someone with Parkinson's. He was in rough shape. He lost his job, family and life as he knew it. He got some assistance but often fell short each month. He told me how he resided in a low income apartment complex and he was the victim of frequent theft and often found the streets a better place to stay then in his own junky studio. He lives with criminals and so on. As we parted ways, I tried to give him $100 and he would not accept it. So I told him I was going to leave on the ground and walk away and if he did not take it, someone else would. He finally accepted the $ and was so thankful he began crying right there on the spot. No greater feeling on this earth then helping out someone whom really needs it. They key being, who really needs it.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
What your story clearly illustrates when it comes to those less fortunate; the proud people that refuse help and assistance the most, are often the ones who need it the most. Thankfully there are many people who, like you, can recognize and aknowledge that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary