Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 10,346 times

Advertisements

I've been in the Triangle about 6 months and I LOVE it here. City Data has been a wonderful source of information and entertainment. I'm orginally from CA and then lived in Colorado 7 years before moving to Raleigh. I have really loved everywhere I've lived but there has been an adjustment period with each new place. But I do feel like we've found our "home" here!

I have learned about schools, places to go, dining, shopping and more. Thanks to all of you who share great information.

And thanks to the "entertainers" You know who you are. Some love NC so much that if anyone says they don't care for humidity or sweet tea it's like someone insulted their grandmother. Others seem to have disdain for anything and everything in NC from the accents, to the drivers and everything else imaginable. Boy do I love the threads where you all (y'all) go after each other!

Thanks much. Now that I've been here for some time I hope to contribute some helpful info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 12:28 PM

447 posts, read 1,718,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Colorado View Post
I've been in the Triangle about 6 months and I LOVE it here. City Data has been a wonderful source of information and entertainment. I'm orginally from CA and then lived in Colorado 7 years before moving to Raleigh. I have really loved everywhere I've lived but there has been an adjustment period with each new place. But I do feel like we've found our "home" here!

I have learned about schools, places to go, dining, shopping and more. Thanks to all of you who share great information.

And thanks to the "entertainers" You know who you are. Some love NC so much that if anyone says they don't care for humidity or sweet tea it's like someone insulted their grandmother. Others seem to have disdain for anything and everything in NC from the accents, to the drivers and everything else imaginable. Boy do I love the threads where you all (y'all) go after each other!

Thanks much. Now that I've been here for some time I hope to contribute some helpful info.
Accent in central NC? Man I wish I could remember what that is, too many yankees moving here!

It really is a nice place to live though, be it yuppie Cary, sprawled North Raleigh, Crime Infested Durham, Overrated ITB, redneck Johnston County, or hip Midtown. (Trying to think if I missed any stereotypes)

Old 12-05-2008, 12:31 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,726,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
Accent in central NC? Man I wish I could remember what that is, too many yankees moving here!

It really is a nice place to live though, be it yuppie Cary, sprawled North Raleigh, Crime Infested Durham, Overrated ITB, redneck Johnston County, or hip Midtown. (Trying to think if I missed any stereotypes)
You forget liberal and rich Chapel Hill and down home Hillsborough. Did I miss one?

Old 12-05-2008, 01:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Quote:

Yours is a lovely post! I would like to welcome you to NC and say that if we did put up a fence, we'd let you in!!!

Sometimes I think that we forget how many people are out there, reading what we type. I have received many many emails from people on city-data, commenting on things that I have said. A few are just unhappy people but most are very nice and I love getting those emails!

Hannah, feel free to jump in and state your opinion, anytime! You can even disagree, as long as you have read city data rules and don't break them!!!

Again, welcome! Vicki

Old 12-05-2008, 01:10 PM

20 posts, read 70,245 times
to hannah colorado......it was great reading your post. my husband and i are considering a move as well (and apparently lots of people). i lived in colorado from 98 to 00 and did not like it because of how many people verbally expressed their distaste of newbies (eventhough some were newbies too) and that general sentiment in the city. maybe i was just meeting the wrong people. anyways, i have posted on some other threads getting peoples opinions and viewpoints. how do you feel being new down there? are people welcoming to you? how does it compare to CO? i would appreciate any input you have!! thanks!!

Old 12-05-2008, 01:37 PM

5 posts, read 10,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynce2325 View Post
to hannah colorado......it was great reading your post. my husband and i are considering a move as well (and apparently lots of people). i lived in colorado from 98 to 00 and did not like it because of how many people verbally expressed their distaste of newbies (eventhough some were newbies too) and that general sentiment in the city. maybe i was just meeting the wrong people. anyways, i have posted on some other threads getting peoples opinions and viewpoints. how do you feel being new down there? are people welcoming to you? how does it compare to CO? i would appreciate any input you have!! thanks!!
I really loved Colorada and there are things I will miss. I too remember initially feeling like an outsider. I took my CA plates off as fast as I could. Once I started rooting for the Broncos I felt everyone was more welcoming.
In Raleigh, I realized getting Hurricanes stickers on my car right away would be a great way to fit in.
Saying "You call THIS skiing?" To people about the mountains in NC is generally not the best way to start a conversation.

I loved downtown Denver, I loved the snow. But without snow winter was very brown.
Honestly I have had great experiences in both places and I think both areas are great for raising kids.

My least favorite part about living in Raleigh is the humidity and mosquitoes.
Final word of warning about NC: Be careful when ordering tea. You must specify unsweet tea. Otherwise you will be served a liquid pixie stick

Old 12-05-2008, 03:29 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,427,763 times
Quote:
Final word of warning about NC: Be careful when ordering tea. You must specify unsweet tea. Otherwise you will be served a liquid pixie stick
For those of us from New England - I had to learn that when I ordered tea, that it would not be served piping hot in a mug with a teabag!! I was used to getting hot tea when I ordered tea and cold tea when I ordered "iced tea"!!

Hannah, you're so right about specifying unsweetened tea...the first time I took a sip of Sweet tea, I thought I was drinking Karo syrup!! But all in all, we learn and adapt to our new surroundings! Welcome to NC!

Old 12-05-2008, 03:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
You forget liberal and rich Chapel Hill and down home Hillsborough. Did I miss one?
"Wannabe Cary" Apex.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,429 times
Welcome Hannah!

It took five years or so for the waiters and waitresses to *not* automatically assume I would want unsweet tea. The first time I was asked what kind of tea (sweet, not sweet), I knew I had finally 'adjusted' myself from the (fast talking and other traits) of a hard core New Englander.... <smile>

I have always found folks to be more than friendly and definitely welcome you to our end of the world.

We look forward to your posts as you discover all the great things in the triangle and share your experiences.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:01 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,759,622 times
Quote:
I really loved Colorada and there are things I will miss. I too remember initially feeling like an outsider. I took my CA plates off as fast as I could. Once I started rooting for the Broncos I felt everyone was more welcoming.
In Raleigh, I realized getting Hurricanes stickers on my car right away would be a great way to fit in.
Saying "You call THIS skiing?" To people about the mountains in NC is generally not the best way to start a conversation.

I loved downtown Denver, I loved the snow. But without snow winter was very brown.
Honestly I have had great experiences in both places and I think both areas are great for raising kids.

My least favorite part about living in Raleigh is the humidity and mosquitoes.
LOL! I can already tell I'm going to like you. Welcome!

Liquid Pixie Stick... rotfl!!! My 6 year old is going to love that one.

In regards to the humidity, the first summer is the hardest. 08 was my second summer here. I found it to be much better than 07. That's not saying I like the humidity.... I'm just learning to get along with it a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary