Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:20 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,438,217 times

Advertisements

Wake County Public School System

2009-12 Draft Reassignment Proposal

Draft plan would move 26K Wake students over three years :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 01:29 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,624 times
Yep we got moved AGAIN - will be my DD's THIRD school in THREE years, and my DS's second school in two years - ugggggggggggggh. If we stay where we are, they will be bussed over 9 miles, if we move to our "potential" new place of residence, we will only be 2.5 miles - BUT I have to worry about the transition time between February and July - where to place them for the short time, because either school is changed to a new school not yet open. I am getting so darn frustrated.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:00 PM

718 posts, read 2,974,096 times
We were pleased with the reassignment. Nothing changes for us until the new middle school opens, which we already knew.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:24 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,733 times
So basically this reassignment has to do with the new schools opening as opposed to, well, other reasons.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:03 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,759,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
So basically this reassignment has to do with the new schools opening as opposed to, well, other reasons.
That's what they are saying, but is that really the only reason? I don't think one can know the answer to this unless one lives in WCPSS and knows the schools and which nodes are being redistricted where. I don't know Raleigh or WCPSS well enough to know the answer to my questions. But I'm sure if we watch this thread it will play out in the next few weeks.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:19 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
That's what they are saying, but is that really the only reason? I don't think one can know the answer to this unless one lives in WCPSS and knows the schools and which nodes are being redistricted where. I don't know Raleigh or WCPSS well enough to know the answer to my questions. But I'm sure if we watch this thread it will play out in the next few weeks.
I remember growing up and the district (not WCPSS... I'm not from NC) rezoning the schools every time a new one was built, so this doesn't so much surprise me. However, they certainly didn't take three years to do it.

Regardless, I'll be watching. I've heard enough about WCPSS to be somewhat familiar with their redistricting extravaganzas.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:26 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,699,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I remember growing up and the district (not WCPSS... I'm not from NC) rezoning the schools every time a new one was built, so this doesn't so much surprise me. However, they certainly didn't take three years to do it.

Regardless, I'll be watching. I've heard enough about WCPSS to be somewhat familiar with their redistricting extravaganzas.
Part of what is going on does have to do with growth, especially in the western part of the county. One of the high schools that opened up a couple of years ago has a capacity around 2100 and would have over 3000 students in the next 3 years (according to WCPSS forecasts) if 1000 students weren't moved out. That's kind of unavoidable (although I'm not sure why they assigned too many nodes there in the first place).

We no longer reside in Wake County and our former neighborhood's assignments didn't change, but I do think having a 3 year plan is a big improvement over not knowing year to year where your child would be going to school.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:56 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Just out of curiousity i looked up the changes for Apex High, which was changed significantly for the 2006-2007 school year (my son's senior year and what was supposed to be my daughters freshman year at Apex High until they reassigned a huge chunk of Apex to Panther Creek high..including us). It couldnt' be more blunt than the way they worded it themselves...a big factor in the decision to transfer some of the students to Apex high is to raise the number of low-income students....

Quote:
Staff recommends that two nodes (approximately 85 students) from Cary High (384.3, 394.8) be assigned to Apex High to allow middle school students to move to high school with their peers and to increase the number of low-income students at Apex High to make Apex High more in line with the county average for low-income students..

Old 11-15-2008, 06:24 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,878 times
I thought there might be a chance that we'd be moved to the new Heritage High....but nope, no move for us.

For the record, we've been here 9 years and have never been reassigned...ever, then we did choose a house where we thought it would be more stable and not one in the newest of the new subdivisons (it was new construction, but the subdivison was built out.)

Old 11-15-2008, 07:07 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,086,574 times
My daughter goes to West Lake Elementary. Nothing has changed for us, but I am pleased to see they are moving 12 nodes out of the school and into other schools. West Lake is ovecrowded so this makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary