Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 02:49 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

A little surprise from the Triangle Business Journal today.

If Warren Buffett (Prudential) is buying real estate brokerages, does that mean he is calling a bottom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 02:50 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
His time frame for investments don't require him to call bottoms. Just prices that are lower than they'll be in a couple years.

Sorry

Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
I'd say he's found a bargain, but not necessarily b/c real estate has bottomed out. Buffett is diversified enough in his holdings that he can easily do such a deal and then tolerate the risk that comes with a real estate market that doesn't yet seem to know where the bottom is yet.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
His time frame for investments don't require him to call bottoms. Just prices that are lower than they'll be in a couple years.

Sorry

No apology necessary. The news is the buy-out. The second line was a wise-crack.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:11 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No apology necessary. The news is the buy-out. The second line was a wise-crack.
Better a "wise-crack" than a dumb one!!!

Vicki

Old 12-16-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Better a "wise-crack" than a dumb one!!!

Vicki
Well, yeah.

Did you know this YSU deal was in the works, Vicki?

Old 12-16-2008, 03:59 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, yeah.

Did you know this YSU deal was in the works, Vicki?
Actually, I haven't been in the office much in the last few days so I don't know if anyone knew about it or not. I did not. I had a friend that worked there for years but she moved away a while back so I'm out of the loop.

I have nothing against some of these smaller Realty companies closing their doors, since so many of them seem to have disregard for ethics or laws. I'm basing this on some issues that I have run into lately, including some Realtor/Listing Agent that owes the IRS! And didn't bother to tell me or my buyer. I'm thinking this IS a material fact!

However, YSU, is an old Raleigh company so I'm sad to see it go. I almost went to work for them years ago.

So many changes in this area...some good, some not so good.

Vicki

Old 12-16-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Actually, I haven't been in the office much in the last few days so I don't know if anyone knew about it or not. I did not. I had a friend that worked there for years but she moved away a while back so I'm out of the loop.

I have nothing against some of these smaller Realty companies closing their doors, since so many of them seem to have disregard for ethics or laws. I'm basing this on some issues that I have run into lately, including some Realtor/Listing Agent that owes the IRS! And didn't bother to tell me or my buyer. I'm thinking this IS a material fact!

However, YSU, is an old Raleigh company so I'm sad to see it go. I almost went to work for them years ago.

So many changes in this area...some good, some not so good.

Vicki
Yep, I would like to see some of the local fellows with deep roots spin a few yarns about YSU.
I figured when Phyllis York Brookshier went to Allen Tate that there was a little rumble in the force...

I think a LOT of the small firms (those that popped up in February/March 2006 right before the law changed to require two years to be a BIC) have fallen away. Not a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary