Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

Anybody else catch that there were two contestants from Raleigh on the weight loss show on NBC called "The Biggest Loser"? During the finale tonight they showed footage from Raleigh including a spot filmed in the Humble Pie Resaurant in Downtown Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:08 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Anybody else catch that there were two contestants from Raleigh on the weight loss show on NBC called "The Biggest Loser"? During the finale tonight they showed footage from Raleigh including a spot filmed in the Humble Pie Resaurant in Downtown Raleigh.
Yep, and they did a good show, also showed them attending the state fair. I however was rooting for the girl that won it This is the show that inspired me to lose over 67 pounds and counting. My dh has lost 40 pounds too.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
the biggest loser from Raleigh?

Probably Marion Jones....she just HAD to use steroids and then lie about it. She was considered a local hero for a while too!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:14 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times
WTG NH2! I watch it every week hoping to be inspired but it hasn't helped me so far. Haven't gained either though so I guess that's a bonus.

I was glad Michele won too. Vicky was such a ***** and Heba and Ed didn't need to win both prizes. Heba did look amazing though. Quite a transformation.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post

Probably Marion Jones....she just HAD to use steroids and then lie about it. She was considered a local hero for a while too!
Not in the NEGATIVE conotation of the word "loser" but the biggest loser as in weight loss. Read the OP, it's a show on NBC.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nh2ncmom View Post
not in the negative conotation of the word "loser" but the biggest loser as in weight loss. Read the op, it's a show on nbc.
really!?!?!!?!?!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:55 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
I think it is nice that a network television show is coming here locally. However, I have always viewed people who get so obese that they are endangering their lives as a form of mental illness. It goes beyond just shedding the pounds. The show does little to address the problem. People who get 100-200-300 pounds overweight are doing more harm to their system and shortening their life expectancy more then a crack addict. Yet they continue to eat. It is a mental disorder, if not a disease. The hardcore boot camp approach to the show sends the wrong message in my opinion.

I know some people with disagree with me and that is fine, but this is how I see it. And for those hyper sensitive people, no I am not belittling, obese people. Rather I am sympathizing with their condition. I just see it as more then simply over-eating.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
WTG NH2! I watch it every week hoping to be inspired but it hasn't helped me so far. Haven't gained either though so I guess that's a bonus.

I was glad Michele won too. Vicky was such a ***** and Heba and Ed didn't need to win both prizes. Heba did look amazing though. Quite a transformation.
I can't do the boot camp like them, but I did take a lot of their tips and how they prepare stuff and modified my own form of lifestyle changes. It is in my blog. Good luck on losing weight.

Vicky was worse than Heba (she had a tude at first). Heba, both Amy's, Phil, and Coleen were very impressive with their transformations. Heba still needs to lose a bit in her upper arms (toning up) and her legs. Same with Vicky. Overall though impressed.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
As a dietitian with Master's degree in nutrition, I somewhat agree with Carolina Cowboy. I am always happy to see and hear of a healthy success story, but I also feel that the reason these people are on TV is to sensationalize their success story. WHat we really need is for people to normalize their success story and that doens't usually happen in just a few weeks. For every couple that goes on this show and goes to "boot camp" (which is great for them) the show never seems to address their underlying issues and makes it seem as if anyone who has serious weight/eating issues can solve them just by doing what they do on the show.
I think it's great that a few select peole are chosen and have master dietitians and personal trainers on their side, but I also think it's unrealistic to expect the general public to follow suit on their own without the benefit of the trainers, the personal chefs etc.
I think it's great that there is a local couple on there and I wish them the ABSOLUTE best! We all need to stay positive and support and encourage each other. I'm just not sure TV is the best way to accomplish that.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post

As a UNC alumna, let's attribute Marion Jones to Chapel Hill, not Raleigh. And, if Chapel Hill wants rid of her, they can attribute her to Los Angeles: her birthplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary