Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

front line gel packs is the way to go! It good for flea protection too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:23 AM

94 posts, read 175,754 times
I'm really surprised that I didn't dream about the gross little things all night last night! Yuck!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:25 AM

73 posts, read 295,206 times
Permethrin is a tick spray that is used on clothes. There are sprayons for dogs and horses but NO CATS. Toxic for cats.

Repellents

Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 AM

338 posts, read 1,619,954 times
FYI - YOu don't need an Rx for Frontline. It's available over the counter. Much cheaper to buy it on line than at the vet/pet smart/etc. When you do buy on line though be sure you're getting the US approved product from a reputable online vendor. I use Drs. Foster & Smith. There's definitely cheaper sites out there but they'll likely ship you Frontline labelled for other countries (Australia was one I received prior to learning this).

Also, my vet told me to use frontline monthly for tick protection. I believe it only needs to be used quarterly if you're treating for fleas only. I'm going off of memory though so I'm sure someone will chime in here if I'm incorrect

Last edited by jjg39069; 05-14-2009 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: added frequency info

Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 AM

338 posts, read 1,619,954 times
On a side note, as I was riding my mtn bike last night through the woods I was wondering if there was a frontline for humans. Wouldn't that be nice for those of us who are exposed to ticks on a regular basis!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg39069 View Post
on a side note, as i was riding my mtn bike last night through the woods i was wondering if there was a frontline for humans. Wouldn't that be nice for those of us who are exposed to ticks on a regular basis!

off

Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 AM

73 posts, read 295,206 times
BTW for removal there are a couple of products (ticked off and tick key)

I have a hard time with tweezers. I end up crushing them or ripping their legs off.

not that they don't deserve it

Old 05-14-2009, 08:46 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg39069 View Post
FYI - YOu don't need an Rx for Frontline. It's available over the counter. Much cheaper to buy it on line than at the vet/pet smart/etc. When you do buy on line though be sure you're getting the US approved product from a reputable online vendor. I use Drs. Foster & Smith. There's definitely cheaper sites out there but they'll likely ship you Frontline labelled for other countries (Australia was one I received prior to learning this).

Also, my vet told me to use frontline monthly for tick protection. I believe it only needs to be used quarterly if you're treating for fleas only. I'm going off of memory though so I'm sure someone will chime in here if I'm incorrect
I've never heard of using it quarterly if you're treating for just fleas. Have always heard monthly. Maybe it depends on the pet and how bad they get them or there may be a Frontline I'm not aware of? All I know is every year I hear how this year is really bad for ticks and fleas. I've already found one tick on me, two on my dog, and my boyfriend has found one on him as well. We should probably look into having our yard sprayed.

Thanks for the tip on getting Frontline cheaper online!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:48 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,502 times
I usually just do the Frontline Plus on my dogs from March/April through October and don't have a problem with fleas. Have found one tick on one of the dog. None on us humans!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:51 AM

41 posts, read 111,013 times
Rubbing alcohol they jump right off and if they latched on already just put it on the tweezers same thing they come out so fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary