Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:25 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times

Advertisements

According to a local mommies group that's name would appear to be open to the people in the general area, Clayton is "too far" from the Triangle for my wife to be accepted as a member.

Apparently GARNER is ok, as is Fuquay Varina. But Clayton isn't.

Even Orange County is part of their area. But because we're in Johnston County, my wife isn't permitted to join a decent sized group of other mothers for social interaction, because we're "too far" away.

Fuquay Varina to Raleigh: 17 miles
Hillsborough to Durham: 17 miles
Mebane (in Orange Co) to Chapel Hill: 24 miles
Clayton to Raleigh: 17 miles

But Clayton is "too far", because it's not in the right county???

Ultimately, I suppose she's better off NOT being a part of this group, if that's their attitude - but really, what the hell?!?!

In all fairness, she was referred to a Johnston County mommies group - but the "Triangle" group has over 2000 registered members, while the Johnston group has only 200. But because she lives "too far" from the triangle, she can't be a part of the larger group where she's more likely to meet friends with similar interests. And of course, nevermind the fact that she actually spends more of her time IN Raleigh. We're "too far".

What small-minded BS.

(Yes, I'm angry!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 05:39 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,296 times
I got that also a couple of months ago.....told me where I planned on purchasing was too far from the triangle and that there were other closer groups that might suit me better ????

Old 12-19-2008, 05:50 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
I don't get it. If you are willing to drive to them, why does it matter?

Old 12-19-2008, 05:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
On the one hand I guess it makes sense in that it gives the Johnston county moms group a chance to grow in membership and gain some critical mass by preventing people from instantly gravitating towards the already larger and more established Triangle group.

On the other, you make a very good point in that although you live in Clayton your wife could very well likely spend the bulk of her time in Raleigh. Most of the people I know who live in Clayton work in Raleigh or Durham and thus it makes more sense for them to join social networking groups in those areas vs. those that may be in Johnston County.

While Johnston County is technically not part of the “Triangle”, I agree that excluding people who live there from this group is silly.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:55 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
There are far too many small minds in this world to let them bother you, let alone give them any consideration whatsoever.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:56 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post
According to a local mommies group that's name would appear to be open to the people in the general area, Clayton is "too far" from the Triangle for my wife to be accepted as a member.

Apparently GARNER is ok, as is Fuquay Varina. But Clayton isn't.

Even Orange County is part of their area. But because we're in Johnston County, my wife isn't permitted to join a decent sized group of other mothers for social interaction, because we're "too far" away.

Fuquay Varina to Raleigh: 17 miles
Hillsborough to Durham: 17 miles
Mebane (in Orange Co) to Chapel Hill: 24 miles
Clayton to Raleigh: 17 miles

But Clayton is "too far", because it's not in the right county???

Ultimately, I suppose she's better off NOT being a part of this group, if that's their attitude - but really, what the hell?!?!

In all fairness, she was referred to a Johnston County mommies group - but the "Triangle" group has over 2000 registered members, while the Johnston group has only 200. But because she lives "too far" from the triangle, she can't be a part of the larger group where she's more likely to meet friends with similar interests. And of course, nevermind the fact that she actually spends more of her time IN Raleigh. We're "too far".

What small-minded BS.

(Yes, I'm angry!)
Johnson county isn't part of the Triangle...why is this even in question?

The Triangle is Wake, Durham and Orange counties.

If you don't like the rules of a group, form your own.

Last edited by sergeisnotmyname; 12-19-2008 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-19-2008, 05:58 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
Johnson count isn't part of the Triangle...why is this even in question?

The Triangle is Wake, Durham and Orange counties.

If you don't like the rules of a group, form your own.
Case in point.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:39 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
Johnson county isn't part of the Triangle...why is this even in question?
I guess we should exclude discussion about Clayton from this forum, then? Look up top - it says "Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary - The Triangle Area"

If Johnston County isn't Triangle, then I guess Clayton shouldn't be discussed, since it's in Johnston County.

Thanks for a wonderful demonstration of the small-mindedness that I'm talking about.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:59 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post
I guess we should exclude discussion about Clayton from this forum, then? Look up top - it says "Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary - The Triangle Area"

If Johnston County isn't Triangle, then I guess Clayton shouldn't be discussed, since it's in Johnston County.

Thanks for a wonderful demonstration of the small-mindedness that I'm talking about.
It's not small mindedness....it's just geography. Your sheriff on the other hand...well, there is a shining example.

The Triangle is traditionally the three county area....what is the big deal? You like Clayton, you moved there....enjoy it and what it offers you. (That is why you moved there right?)

And yes, I've long thought that most of the threads about Johnson or Granville or other outlaying counties should be moved to the general forum expect when they over lap into the actual Triangle area (such as commute times, community comparisons etc etc).

To whine that Johnson county isn't the Triangle seems a bit silly.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
The Johnston group on that particular forum was recently formed and is growing. The triangle group has their membership regulated to certain counties and then they set up a new group which serves other ones. It's not small mindedness, but they have their forum set up with geographical zones which serves different areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary