Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Northerners welcome to Raleigh, no complaining unless you fix the problem, illegal situation needs repaired, transplants from all over country, gentlemen and good manners, southern hospitality

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,812 times

Advertisements

From the Sophisticated Southern Cronyism Club, we welcome you all to Raleigh. Just do us a favor, if you don't like it, and the way we do it, then don't complain unless you know how to fix the problems you're creating to start with, okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 10:18 PM

330 posts, read 1,977,065 times
Default Ha Ha -- Please

Wake up kiddo, People are coming from not only the North but from all over the country and many, many Illegals from outside our country. I say we should fix the Ilegal situation first, then work on dealing with growth from within the US.

Also to those who are soon to be moving to Raleigh from the North, South, East or west, dont change at all! Not even a little, be yourself , dont be fake, life is way to short to change your ways to try to fit in. Its our country, move wherever you want, whenever you want. and if there's something on your mind that you dont like,then talk up.

Raleigh get get ready, people are on the way from everywhere.

Peace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorBoy View Post
From the Sophisticated Southern Cronyism Club, we welcome you all to Raleigh. Just do us a favor, if you don't like it, and the way we do it, then don't complain unless you know how to fix the problems you're creating to start with, okay?

Old 03-02-2007, 10:46 PM

55 posts, read 211,177 times
Default well said

right on poor boy. The natives have lived in the real raleigh for a long time. There is a real Raleigh proper filled with third, fourth, and fifth generation Raleigh families. Take a sunday drive down Holt , Cowper, Vance, or Harvey and see the great neighborhood that Earl Sumner Draper designed.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:04 AM

177 posts, read 847,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Also to those who are soon to be moving to Raleigh from the North, South, East or west, dont change at all! Not even a little, be yourself , dont be fake, life is way to short to change your ways to try to fit in.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. Behaviours that are completely acceptable in NY, or Chicago, or Seattle, or LA, or "wherever" are not necessarily appropriate for Raleigh or "wherever". Those of us that are moving to NC *do* have to assimilate. Of course, we all need to retain our "core selves", but we have to learn the customs and learn what's acceptable and adapt ourselves. If we don't do this, we'll turn Raleigh into a very troubled place. And if you don't believe me, just read up on what's happened to the Vancouver, BC area since everyone's started moving there.

eileen

Old 03-03-2007, 01:27 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmatl View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. Behaviours that are completely acceptable in NY, or Chicago, or Seattle, or LA, or "wherever" are not necessarily appropriate for Raleigh or "wherever". Those of us that are moving to NC *do* have to assimilate.
As a North Carolina native, I'm very curious as to what these "behaviors" are?? It's not like we're talking about strange people from another planet who greet each other by shooting blue spray paint in each others' face or something.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:45 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
As a North Carolina native, I'm very curious as to what these "behaviors" are?? It's not like we're talking about strange people from another planet who greet each other by shooting blue spray paint in each others' face or something.
For instance, in Raleigh if you let some merge into traffic the merger should wave at the mergee. This practice is not as common in places like LA, Seattle, and to some degree Portland.

My NC women friends are fine w/ men holding the door for them or offering them a set. Some (not all) of my NW women friends feel this is sexiest. I personally just think it's good manners.

I still hear children in NC use terms like "yes, ma'am. no, sir". I have friends here who think this is borerline mental child abuse. Not everyone but some. I refer to certain elderly folks in NC as "Ms Savannah or Mr Gus". I tried to get my kids to call our 89 year old neighbor here in Portland "Ms Marie" and she would not hear of it. It's just Marie. My grandmothers friends in NC would have a cornary if my kids called them by their first names. This could be a NC country thing... I don't know.

But these are a few of the cultural differences. Religion has been discussed on this board. In the 15+ years I have lived in Portland no one has ever invited me to their church. I fully expect this conversation in Raleigh and will respond politely.

I personally love that bumper sticker that incorporates religious symbols and spells out coexist. Maybe we need to come up with one for a cultural melting pot.

I personally hope to learn to be flexible by moving to an area where folks do things differently from me. But poorboy, keep in mind if we become neighbors I think you just might like my alderwood smoked salmon! Something I learned to cook from my NW friends. Yes Sir, I bet we can find some sort of common ground.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:53 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Some (not all) of my NW women friends feel this is sexiest. I personally just think it's good manners.
i'm assuming you meant that they thought it was sexist and not sexiest right? haha..i got a good laugh out of that. You never know though, maybe women in the NW really do think that holding the door open is "the sexiest".

Old 03-03-2007, 04:57 PM

9 posts, read 31,116 times
I agree with Ejmatl, I am from NYC and the whole reason that I want to move to the south is to change some of the behaviors that my children have inherited from living here. I grew up in a southern home (in NYC) and I was taught to say good morning, evening afternoon. When I tried to instill these manners into my kids other kids and adults critisized them.

In additon to the manners, I can not take the overwhelming violence that has decentralized my girls. It is like fighting is apart of the curricular ( gym 1st period, beatdown 3rd period). I want them to see that this is not how everyone lives. They will have to change and adapt 60% of what they have learned to properly fit in.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:06 PM

177 posts, read 847,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
For instance, in Raleigh if you let some merge into traffic the merger should wave at the mergee. This practice is not as common in places like LA, Seattle, and to some degree Portland.

My NC women friends are fine w/ men holding the door for them or offering them a set. Some (not all) of my NW women friends feel this is sexiest. I personally just think it's good manners.

I still hear children in NC use terms like "yes, ma'am. no, sir". I have friends here who think this is borerline mental child abuse. Not everyone but some. I refer to certain elderly folks in NC as "Ms Savannah or Mr Gus". I tried to get my kids to call our 89 year old neighbor here in Portland "Ms Marie" and she would not hear of it. It's just Marie. My grandmothers friends in NC would have a cornary if my kids called them by their first names. This could be a NC country thing... I don't know.
Exactly, PDXMom. Oh, and the "Ms. [insertnamehere]" and "Mr. [insertnamhere] isn't a country thing. When I lived in Atlanta, all of the children on my block (and there were like 15 of them spread across 20 total houses) always referred to those of us that their parents respected/were friends with by "Ms." and "Mr.". Heck, the entire block called two of the couples on the block "Ms. [insertnamehere]" and "Mr. [insertnamehere]" because they were the only people on the street that had been there since their respective houses were built in the 1940's - and we ALL had a lot of respect for that.

There have been a ton of threads on this board about things like "do New Yorkers bring their attitudes with them" and the like - and I am a firm believer that, based on what's been said in those threads and from life experience in general, one has a better chance at being accepted into a community if one adapts to its community while, simultaneously, not losing one's core self. That's what I intend to do.

eileen

Old 03-03-2007, 06:46 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
i'm assuming you meant that they thought it was sexist and not sexiest right? haha..i got a good laugh out of that. You never know though, maybe women in the NW really do think that holding the door open is "the sexiest".
LOL!!! Thanks for the catching the error. Yes, I meant sexist... not sexiest. LOL!! I guess my cold / fever is effecting me more than I thought.

BTW, I my statements by no means speak for every women in the NW ... as I said I have some NW friends that would view these things this way. But not all. I've always been ok with this... and I've just politely tried to point out that some parents engrain these sort of manners into their kids at an early age.

Ok, I'm going to take a nap now ... hopefully I wake up with more brain cells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary