Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 03:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times

Advertisements

It just amazes me how we're all so different about this. I truly could not care less. I have almost always had a driveway with slope, but I do live in Chapel HILL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 06:59 AM

75 posts, read 99,277 times
I, too, have three boys who like to play basketball - and I'm thrilled about the hundreds of hours they spend outside on our hoop. flat driveway is close to a requirement for us....

Old 04-14-2016, 07:15 AM

544 posts, read 852,301 times
When searching for my current house, a reasonably flat lot was high on my list along with a sidewalk in front.

We passed on a number of nice houses that either had backyards not conducive to outside play or driveways that were steep. I remember being disappointed at a number of houses when we drove up -- The house looked great in the photo, but the steep driveway had been cropped out.

Current driveway has a very slight slope before flattening out in front of the garage. I would consider a mostly-flat driveway a requirement for me.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:17 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
I require a flat driveway and a flat lot. We nixed any houses on hills with steep driveways.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:08 AM

Aren't there lots of hills in So Vill, michgc? Certainly hilly streets but I've never paid that much attention to the lots or drives.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Aren't there lots of hills in So Vill, michgc? Certainly hilly streets but I've never paid that much attention to the lots or drives.
Lots and lots of hills. And I have the leg muscles to prove it. Some houses are on huge hills with essentially 2 flights of stairs leading up to the front door. It's crazy. Since many of the driveways are in the back, you can have a house on a hill with a flat driveway. But there are many sloped driveways, too. Our house is on a flat lot with a fairly flat driveway, though we are on the top of a hilly street. I curse the hill every day that I walk back from school. What's the saying? "It's a hill until you walk it, then it's a mountain."

Old 04-15-2016, 11:04 PM

11 posts, read 20,959 times
The pros of a sloping driveway:

1. Asthetics
2. If you live in a place where it snows and have kids - they will have fun, my son and his friends had a blast with the sloping driveway in NJ
3. Easy to blow leaves down in fall

The cons of a sloping driveway:
1. Kids cannot play basketball on the driveway
2. No biking or rollerblading
3. In winter it is a pain to walk up
4. Driving the car up during snow, freezing rain is problematic unless you have a 4X4

Old 04-16-2016, 04:48 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,281 times
I like my driveways flat and my women .......

Old 04-16-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnarasi View Post
The pros of a sloping driveway:

1. Asthetics
2. If you live in a place where it snows and have kids - they will have fun, my son and his friends had a blast with the sloping driveway in NJ
3. Easy to blow leaves down in fall

The cons of a sloping driveway:
1. Kids cannot play basketball on the driveway
2. No biking or rollerblading
3. In winter it is a pain to walk up
4. Driving the car up during snow, freezing rain is problematic unless you have a 4X4
Ok, having lived in houses with sloping driveways almost all my life (grew up with one, too), I'll grant you number 1 and 2 on the cons (although once the kids get good enough at biking a driveway is a pretty short ride), but number 3? Unless you've got serious mobility issues, in which case steps and stairs would also be an issue, that just sounds kinda pitiful for an otherwise able-bodied human being. And number 4, where did you move from again? We don't drive if it snows or there's freezing rain. Total non-issue.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:39 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Ok, having lived in houses with sloping driveways almost all my life (grew up with one, too), I'll grant you number 1 and 2 on the cons (although once the kids get good enough at biking a driveway is a pretty short ride), but number 3? Unless you've got serious mobility issues, in which case steps and stairs would also be an issue, that just sounds kinda pitiful for an otherwise able-bodied human being. And number 4, where did you move from again? We don't drive if it snows or there's freezing rain. Total non-issue.
Until you spend 15 years, showing buyers homes, you have NO IDEA the stuff that some people consider to be a negative!!!

When my parents bought a house, it was THEIR place to update it like they wanted it.

Today, buyers want the house updated and to include hardwood floors, stainless appliances and granite (thank you HGTV).

And yes, I have had buyers walk into a house and say..."why did they choose THAT GRANITE?!!"

I had a buyer who wanted to know how he could check the magnetic field in the neighborhood even though the house he was looking at was on the other side of the neighborhood (I had the seller).

Welcome to my world!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary