Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2017, 04:27 PM

4,543 posts, read 3,746,709 times

Advertisements

I always thought you should put a concrete sealer on the driveways, to repel water, dirt, etc. But I live next to a bunch of NJ/NY people and they laughed at me and said "You don't need to seal the driveways down here, there's hardly any freezing." So I guess I would just come on here and ask if I need to do this.

I have a 2 year old concrete driveway and was thinking of pressure-washing it this Spring and putting a concrete sealer on it. Which type of concrete sealer should I use and what brand do you recommend? Can I just do this myself with a sprayer or roller? I remember asking a Lowe's customer rep one time on why they don't have any concrete sealers in stock and his reply was, "People don't think concrete needs maintenance and they never buy anything, so we don't carry that stuff."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 04:42 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
I don't think it's necessary for the life of the concrete. My driveway is 45 years old and still fine. If you like the look, though, go for it.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:21 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Concrete can absolutely stain and a sealer will keep it looking younger, longer. Does it NEED it? Nope, but to get the most out of it, it's inexpensive enough to do. Not sure what the NY/NJ people were thinking (nothing) but sealing has nothing to do with freezing.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,710,427 times
My concrete driveway is 33 years old. No maintenance except a power washing every few years. Beware, though, that rapid growth of trees near your driveway can cause a slab to heave up.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:37 AM

141 posts, read 163,084 times
Concrete driveways will need maintenance eventually (they're supposed to last about 30 years). I wouldn't really worry about maintaining a two year old concrete driveway.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:58 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
My concrete driveway is almost 60. It gets full sun, and drains well with the slope. It has never had any sealants or even power washed that I know of. It has a few cracks in it now, but I'm going to let the next guy worry about that.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:54 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
My driveway is 26 years old. Only thing we've done is to have it power washed. It looks great except for the one place that the large tree root grew and pushed it up a bit. Not enough to worry about it. It does have a small crack that hubby filled. Filling the crack makes sense although it did make it look more noticeable. Thanks, hubby.

Concrete is either cracked or will crack.

Would putting a sealer on it make it slippery?

Old 02-10-2017, 10:25 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,558,628 times
I have a couple little spots where my concrete driveway is already spalling/flaking after only 4 years in a new house. I have power washed it a couple times already. I think proper maintenance and sealing wouldn't be a bad idea. I think one of the issues is that it never gets full sun and there is a lot of moisture that runs under it apparently. That has been helped by adding better drainage around my property, but it hasn't totally mitigated the issue.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:32 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Concrete is either cracked or will crack.
This.

With all the clay soil types, poor water drainage, and many trees around here, most sidewalks and driveways will eventually develop cracks over time. I had several new slabs of concrete poured in 1996 and they all now have developed cracks...even with one slab being 6 inches thick with wire mesh and rebar in it.

It's what goes on underneath as well as on top that determines the lifespan of a concrete slab. Proper base preparation and expansion joint location when the concrete is poured is critical for long life in addition to the grade of concrete used for the slab. Very heavy trucks or construction equipment driven over a sidewalk or driveway can also cause cracks to develop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary