Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 03:50 AM

198 posts, read 910,462 times

Advertisements

anl9040-

Have you ever tried the site www.salary.com? They have a comprehensive salary calculator that is free and tools on their site where it will even show you a paycheck (adjusted for taxes for the state you enter and everything). You select the job and enter the zip, enter your deductions (est) and go from there. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 05:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,109 times
My husband and I just came back from Cary NC and we really loved it. We are going to be relocating from Orlando, Florida. We had never really visited the NC area and I can tell you that everything they are saying about Cary is true. That is where we are moving to. We are both from up north Pittsburgh and Buffalo so this was just perfect for us. The people are so friendly and the area is so clean and very pretty. Lots of shopping area's lots of schools easy to get around. Like I said we had never been there and had no problems finding apartments, stores, getting from one area to another. One tip I will say is you will find that many of the roads go in a circle. So it is easy to find your way around.

We are looking forward to moving as soon as the offer letter comes we are out of Florida.

Thanks to all those friendly people in Cary and on here.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:01 AM

161 posts, read 559,094 times
To get a more balanced and realistic point of view, you may want to read some of the threads on the NJ forum where people moved here, did not like it, and ended up moving back.

I have been in Raleigh for a year, but will be leaving to return to NJ next month, and I can't wait!

I came here expecting a 15% cut in salary, but instead was offered as much as 40%-50% less than what I made up north! Sure the cost of living here is lower, but not that much lower! There are plenty of jobs in Raleigh, but not in all industries. I am hard pressed to find companies and positions that are a good fit with my background.

Raleigh is nice, but it lacks any personality. You can tour the downtown in about five minutes. Mostly it is subdivision after subdivision, with new ones being built all the time. I miss the quaint towns, historic districts, old cemetaries, etc that one sees when driving throughout NJ.

The people here are the same as up north. They are all from the north! Raleigh is no more nor less friendly than anywhere else. They are no more nor less rude on the road than anywhere else.

Then of course there are all the intangible things such as missing my friends and family and many of the activities I enjoyed up north that are not available here.

My point is that Raleigh is not for everyone. Before you drink the kool aid, you should try to get a balanced view. It is always important to compare the positives and negatives in order to make the best decision. When I decided to relocate, I put way too much emphasis on cost of living and available real estate, but completely ignored the job aspects. In addition, I way underestimated the extent to which I miss my friends! Sure NJ is much more expensive, but after having been in Raleigh for a year, it is a price I am more than happy to pay!

Old 07-15-2007, 06:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
forget the kool aid drink some good ol sweet tea or Cheerwine!!

Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Default Counter point(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifter View Post
.... I came here expecting a 15% cut in salary, but instead was offered as much as 40%-50% less than what I made up north! Sure the cost of living here is lower, but not that much lower!

.... I am hard pressed to find companies and positions that are a good fit with my background.

.... Raleigh is nice, but it lacks any personality. You can tour the downtown in about five minutes. Mostly it is subdivision after subdivision, with new ones being built all the time. I miss the quaint towns, historic districts, old cemetaries, etc that one sees when driving throughout NJ.

.... Raleigh is no more nor less friendly than anywhere else.

.... They are no more nor less rude on the road than anywhere else.

.... My point is that Raleigh is not for everyone.

.... Before you drink the kool aid, you should try to get a balanced view.

.... It is always important to compare the positives and negatives in order to make the best decision.
For many (myself included) you can literally halve your monthly expenses. I could afford to absorb a 40% reduction in salary and the relocation would still make sense.

As for the job opportunities here, well, you already said you didn't conduct proper due diligence. That was my second criteria in deciding to relocate. That should not have been a surprise for you.

Raleigh is not NYC for certain. But while our downtown proper may not be a true destination it still offers plenty for the day-tripper. And you can't beat the convenience of getting there and parking. As for quaint towns, historic districts and old cemeteries I think you're missing something. My wife has a list longer then my arm of quaint villages to visit. And North Carolina has been around as long as New Jersey and has just as many historic sites and dead people.

People in North Carolina are way, way nicer and more polite then the NYC area. And the road etiquette is much better around Raleigh. Your saying otherwise is likely evidence that you're just not having a happy relocation.

Raleigh is not for everyone; that's true for every place I've ever been. NYC is not for everyone. New Jersey is definitely (as a collective state) not for everyone, particularly for my wife and myself. People who live on Long Island tend to look down their noses at Jersey.

As for your comment about drinking the Kool Aid it's a bit insulting for those of us who conducted extensive research, visited multiple times, crunched the numbers, assessed the job market and school systems before making a life-changing decision. We came down here knowing there was work to be done to make this story successful. My wife and I put tremendous effort into the process and planning and didn't just read an article in Forbes before deciding to uproot an entire life and move it.

And lastly anyone who would relocate away from family, friends and the only life they've ever known without fully understanding what they were getting themselves into are likely doomed to fail in their efforts. But apparently you already know that.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
And lastly anyone who would relocate away from family, friends and the only life they've ever known without fully understanding what they were getting themselves into are likely doomed to fail in their efforts. But apparently you already know that.
Don't you think that you are being a tad overdramatic? I did not "fail" in my efforts, nor was I "doomed".

I made the decision that I thought was the right one at the time. I did do extensive research, but research does not always give the whole picture.

I came. I don't like it. I am leaving. Period. There is nothing doomed nor failed about it. In fact, I consider myself quite fortunate that I can afford to take extensive time off to relocate, and then relocate again. I'd say thats a huge win for me!

Failed and doomed is when you move, don't like the place, but are trapped there! Or worse, when you make a mistake (and we all do) but refuse to admit it or reverse it.

Last edited by grifter; 07-15-2007 at 08:34 AM..

Old 07-15-2007, 09:12 AM

12 posts, read 40,369 times
TEACHO7 - Thanks for the info. All the calculators seem to tell me its a good move even after the pay cut.

QUESTION: How expensive is healthcare there? Can anyone shed light on how much they pay per check? For themselves and dependents? We are a family of three but any info. is good info. Thanks.

As for the previous comments, I think in general you have to be smart shopper. It's like any major purchase. You must do your homework before. In my case, I have been to the Raleigh several times in the past 5 years since my sister moved there and have loved it. I don't miss the NE 'culture' one bit when there and the people are great. It also depends on your specific line of work. I have a masters degree in social work and have researched my career in NC thoroughly from steps to licensing in the state and employment. It appears I can maintain or may even make more then my current salary. I plan to obtain employment prior to our move next may. Our main concern was my husband's job (he is a police officer) and although he will take a cut it appears we can still live well and buy a nice home in a nice neighborhood. We are years away from that in NY. I also have made a spreadsheet , but of course we can only estimate. When making a big move like this, you have to expect to know you are taking some risks. I will though be smart shopper and read the NJ message boards! Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 AM

Wow! It sounds as though you are well prepared to relocate! And how nice that your sister lives there... that alone will make a huge difference as you get settled in.

Good luck with everything!

Old 07-15-2007, 10:51 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Lots of NY type retail is opening here to welcome their previous customers.

Well, it is a bit shocking, followed by a sense of sadness, walking into NCDMV and seeing NY Yankee plates for sale,

Old 07-15-2007, 12:29 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Default Splitting hairs back atcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifter View Post
Don't you think that you are being a tad overdramatic? I did not "fail" in my efforts, nor was I "doomed".

I made the decision that I thought was the right one at the time. I did do extensive research, but research does not always give the whole picture.

I came. I don't like it. I am leaving. Period. There is nothing doomed nor failed about it. In fact, I consider myself quite fortunate that I can afford to take extensive time off to relocate, and then relocate again. I'd say thats a huge win for me!

Failed and doomed is when you move, don't like the place, but are trapped there! Or worse, when you make a mistake (and we all do) but refuse to admit it or reverse it.
Over-dramatic? I respectfully submit for your consideration that you laid that foundation quite well.

And doomed to fail is not the same as doomed. I never said your were doomed. You did however fail in your attempt to relocate and build a sustainable life for yourself in Raleigh (unless that wasn't your goal).

You're the one who pointed out that there aren't many good fits in the Raleigh job market for a person with your skills and experience ("I am hard pressed to find companies and positions that are a good fit with my background"). Unless your industry shifted suddenly in the time you've been here I would stick by my statement that your research doomed you to fail.

Lastly, moving twice within a relatively short time frame is not a win for most of us unless you own a moving company or have a packing fetish.

However in the end I understand most of your last post. You are indeed fortunate that you can reverse your decision and move back to where you feel comfortable. And you're absolutely right regarding realizing you've made a mistake and being unable to reverse it. That's a concern that haunts most of us relocators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary