Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:05 AM

767 posts, read 1,848,841 times

Advertisements

For those looking for good Mexican food, don't waste your money at La Cocina in Cary. Yuk. Bland beans & rice, premade taco shells, no cheese on an enchilada...sauce and meat only...whats up with that. And my husband ordered a tostada and got a soggy tortilla shell with a pile of ground beef and melt cheese....thats it. He couldn't even pick it up. The salsa was slightly good because it had some kick, but nothing great.

So, we keep looking for the holy grail....I keep hearing about places in Durham...I would love some reviews from folks that know good Mex...i.e. were once residents of CA, TX, or some southwest state. Not that I don't love my northern friends, but....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 AM

425 posts, read 1,257,603 times
Tacos Mexico, (in Apex)
209 E Williams St
Apex, NC 27502
Phone: (919) 362-8074
It doesn't look like much from the outside, but is nice and clean and being from Southern AZ and then TX, I do believe it's pretty close to what we like. The roast beef is definitely spiced with the seasoning of Northern Mexico, with that Southwest Indian touch. Enjoy!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:46 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,785 times
Los Comales and Super Taqueria, both on Roxboro Street in Durham. Amazing!

I'm not from CA but I tried it based on a magazine review, I think it was Food and Wine, they did a feature on authentic Mexican in our area.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:39 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Las Margaritas on Six Forks in Raleigh.

Just got back from having chicken fajitas.

Great!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:50 PM

208 posts, read 633,996 times
I haven't been there in a while, but try Torero's on Kildaire Farm Rd in Cary. Great!

Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,295,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
Tacos Mexico, (in Apex)
209 E Williams St
Apex, NC 27502
Phone: (919) 362-8074
It doesn't look like much from the outside, but is nice and clean and being from Southern AZ and then TX, I do believe it's pretty close to what we like. The roast beef is definitely spiced with the seasoning of Northern Mexico, with that Southwest Indian touch. Enjoy!
I 2nd Tacos Mexico!! Very, very good. I'll admit the first time I went there I was quite leary based on the outside, but you sure can't judge a book by it's cover!

Old 01-04-2009, 02:21 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,915 times
I tried La Cocina in Clayton. It has great reviews on InsiderPages, but obviously not from any CA transplants. Their website doesn't show a Cary location, but I would describe it almost exactly the same way.

I've seen a lot of good reviews here about Torero. Tacos Mexico sounds good - but if it appeals to someone from AZ/TX, it seems more likely to be closer to tex-mex. (which isn't at all a problem, it's just different than CA mex)

I did happen across an "On The Border" by Triangle Town Center. I haven't been there yet, but I went to one in CA. It's about what you would expect from a chain, so it's not the greatest authentic mexican food, but if you want to clear the taste, it's a safe bet for something at least palatable.

Quote:
'll admit the first time I went there I was quite leary based on the outside
From 40 years of living in CA, I have come to learn that the little hole-in-the-wall not so great looking places usually have the best REAL Mexican food.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:46 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post
I tried La Cocina in Clayton. It has great reviews on InsiderPages, but obviously not from any CA transplants. Their website doesn't show a Cary location, but I would describe it almost exactly the same way.

I've seen a lot of good reviews here about Torero. Tacos Mexico sounds good - but if it appeals to someone from AZ/TX, it seems more likely to be closer to tex-mex. (which isn't at all a problem, it's just different than CA mex)

I did happen across an "On The Border" by Triangle Town Center. I haven't been there yet, but I went to one in CA. It's about what you would expect from a chain, so it's not the greatest authentic mexican food, but if you want to clear the taste, it's a safe bet for something at least palatable.

From 40 years of living in CA, I have come to learn that the little hole-in-the-wall not so great looking places usually have the best REAL Mexican food.
I lived in CA too and Las Margaritas on Six Forks is clean but has the slightly hole-in-the-wall look of many reataurants in Tiajuana.

The staff all has Spanish as their native language.

Give them a try. Good prices to boot.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:13 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,841 times
Thanks all....I agree that its gotta be slightly "hole in the wall" and cooked in lard! I have tried Toreros in Raleigh...which I thought was pretty good...but the one it Cary has never impressed me. Same ol complaints...bland and not fresh or home made. I'm also amazed that the staff in most of these places are hispanic...but I cannot believe they serve this stuff to their families! They probably save the good stuff for home.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:19 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,785 times
Oh wait, it was Gourmet magazine, not Food and Wine. Here's a link to an online pdf of the article, hope it's ok to post (if not, DM me for it)

http://archerpelican.typepad.com/tap...linaCocina.pdf

I go to Los Comales a lot, they have a great fixings bar, it's hole in the wall but amazingly clean hole in the wall, and delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary